Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

This should do a great job taking the perception of charlotte down a notch.

https://www.livingsocial.com/escapes/737986-charlotte-hotel

People are going to go in expecting this.

and are going to get...

http://goo.gl/maps/Cjy5A

Thats just horrendous. What a crock.

Anyone who goes by the living social photo galleries without google mapping it and checking the hotel's actual site deserves whatever they get. Nobody's going to go there and still think they are staying near center city.

I was "entertaining" some guests from NYC this weekend.  She grew up in Ft. Worth and now lives in Manhattan.  We went to Southend and Uptown on Friday night and then Plaza-Midwood for most of Saturday.  She was blown away by how much bigger Charlotte was than she expected and per her words, how "hip" it was.  She said it reminded her of a slightly larger Austin (which I found funny).  Either way, it was interesting to get her perspective on things coming from Manhattan.  Lots of comments about the trees and just in general, more "space" to move around in.  She really enjoyed it.

I was "entertaining" some guests from NYC this weekend.  She grew up in Ft. Worth and now lives in Manhattan.  We went to Southend and Uptown on Friday night and then Plaza-Midwood for most of Saturday.  She was blown away by how much bigger Charlotte was than she expected and per her words, how "hip" it was.  She said it reminded her of a slightly larger Austin (which I found funny).  Either way, it was interesting to get her perspective on things coming from Manhattan.  Lots of comments about the trees and just in general, more "space" to move around in.  She really enjoyed it.

Now, this is honestly the kind of feedback I'm used to hearing when my out-of-town friends visit for the first time.

I don't think anyone should get offended or defensive about any comments of "blandness" in Uptown because it's just an opinion and it doesn't equate a distaste for the area and its offerings simple a perception that there's not a lot of feeling of street life there as a whole.  To be frank it's a perception I agree with, but that has been changing almost every year with the addition of things like the cultural campus, college street developments, etc.  

I suspect it will change even more dramatically with the completion of the stadium and Romare Bearden as more and more people are in town taking advantage of those amenities (sparking the need for more shopping goods retail) and street level entertainment options.

In other news of our Reputation/Perception - I've been following the Detroit crisis (from EFM to possible (likely?) bankruptcy) and I notice that Charlotte is often used in articles for comparison purposes of how to do things.  The main thing that is noted/implied is that Charlotte is a city on the rise and moving forward.

I randomly was watching 20/20 last night and they were talking about West Virginia, and cycling through "videos of west virginia" (stock videos probably not in west virginia) train full of coal, farmland, mountains, etc.  But sandwiched in there was this picture...

photo-1_zps91c58f86.jpg

Apparently they must have gotten Charlotte and Charleston mixed up...

This is something I've often wondered because I can see 2 distinct ridge lines from my balcony on a clear day and during most sunsets when they are backlit (and I'm only 20 floors up).  Using google earth and other tools, the best I can figure is the most prominent ridge line is Mt. Mitchell and the other mountains that it shares a line with.  And the other is Grandfather, Calloway, the other peaks they share a ridge line with.  Now, whether we see those mountains or the peaks in front of them, I don't know?  But being that those two ridge lines are the tallest I'm making that assumption.  Check them out on Google maps using the terrain layer or on Google Earth.

On a clear day you don't need to be any higher then 10 floors up to see either of those so I'm sure most of the public spots have a clear view of this.  This time of year, the one I think is Mt Mitchell is right where the sun sets.  If I can get a pic in the next couple days I'll post.

I think it would be cool to see a pic if you get the chance to post. I know when you fly out of the Charlotte airport the mountains looks so close as you are lifting off...of course they are obviously farther away then they seem at that moment :-p

Even if they are a bunch of troglodytes over on those other sites, we are referring to perception as opposed to reality.  Those idiots "perceive" Charlotte as an office park.  I probably shouldn't give them the time of day, but it stuns me just how many people do think that Charlotte is fake.

For what it's worth, my Canadian family members love Charlotte.  They enjoy how green and clean it is compared to Toronto, and they love it's newness.  Plus the drive down Queens knocked their socks off.

I try to tell out-of-towners that I've spent a pretty good bit of time in LA ... and Queens blows Beverly Hills out of the water.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think this has been posted on here yet - http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/10/opinion/the-decline-of-north-carolina.html?smid=fb-share&_r=0

edit - I try not to comment on political opinion, which is why the lack of description for the link. It's an NYT opinion piece about the decline of NC thanks to the Republican majority. 

Edited by Prodev

Yeah - NC is getting a lot of bad press as of late.   I'm not certain if there is a Charlotte effect as of yet.  If anything I wonder if Charlotte (as well as other major NC cities) start to become even more liberal in response.

It's all a shame because the editorial did touch on something as an original northerner I always heard about this state and felt was true when I got here - It was a moderate state that never went too far left or too far right and was more focused on the business than the politics.  I think that focus has been lost and it's a shame.

Again - not sure if there is even a Charlotte angle to this yet as I think most (non-NC residents) don't equate the city of Charlotte with the Legislature of Raleigh. 

Edit :  In related news on Charlotte's reputation - we fell eight places to #25 in the Brookings Institute Metro Monitor rankings

Edited by Urbanity

From the comments (re)found this great link, didn't realize eastern NC were predominantly Steelers fans... but it does lend weight to the poster's argument that SC is not ponying up much support for the Panthers (and justifying the Carolina-wide name).

You See?!  You See!   I told you we shouldn't have been so concerned with dropping the "N.C." after Charlotte's name!  

On a related note, I hear the Reebok sportswear for the Panthers has us in Virginia... 

They announce at 10am if we get the X Games.  I have zero hope for this, so it would be a pleasant surprise if we did.

Agreed, but I'll add a handicap to Detroit that may play in our favor - their EFM and the Governor seems to be signaling that the city is going to file bankruptcy.  This may be an issue in the mind of X-Games pf Detroit's ability to pull off the games when the time comes.