Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

Yes, but with a drastic increase in minimum wage comes a drastic increase in inflation.  U can't expect places that pay minimum wage to keep their prices down for very long before the increased prices offset the increased wages.  The only people this hurts is the middle class.  Very short term gain for the lower class, little to no effect on the true upper class, while the middle class is stuck paying higher prices without getting a raise to counter-balance it.  How is this a win for anyone?  This increase will also negate any raises that people at or near minimum wage have made.  How many companies to you honestly believe will keep previous raises intact if they're already having to pay the associate an extra 7 dollars an hour?

A lot of people I've talked to about the matter have naively stated that it won't change fast food prices much because of how much margin is in the product they sell.  However, those same people had not taken into consideration an increase in groceries that will coincide with even a small increase in minimum wage.

Why are we talking about this again?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't sure where else to post this but I was watching my Moto X boot up and thought I saw something familiar. I watched again and sure enough the Charlotte skyline appears in the sequence. I found it on YouTube...but it's hard to see.Look at about the 13 second mark.

Edited by jednc
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think the pastor building a house is really a scandal.

He hasn't done anything illegal, even if it is maybe in poor taste for a pastor to be building an unnecessarily large house.

I find Elevation and some of its hardcore followers to be a little creepy with their obsession for the church, but they also do good for the community.

I don't think it's a matter of what any of believe or perceive.  The fact is that it HAS become a scandal.  I wasn't btw trying to make a big thing about Elevation per se so much as this is now the second riches of the holy story to come out of Charlotte.  Certainly not of the PTL level - but nonetheless...

• Like 1

Personal Opinion: There is no way a mansion like that is justified due to the line of work he is supposed to represent. I'd assume being flashy isn't one of his core teachings. The 7.5 bathrooms sounds necessary for the load this guy probably drops each week. 

• Like 1

I don't do religion so I don't have a position based on biblical right or wrong - I do like the CO's comparison to the super-rich in the state:

Homes by comparison

• Panthers owner, Jerry Richardson, Charlotte, total square feet. 7,068

• Investor, businessman, wealthiest man in Charlotte C.D. Spangler Jr. Charlotte, Total square feet: 6,169

• Businessman, wealthiest person in North Carolina, James Goodnight, Cary, Heated area 7,510 (total square footage not available)

That a minister of "God" has such a ridiculously huge house (16,000 sq ft) seems to project an excessive lifestyle that I'd think would be a contradiction to what he preaches.  What do I know.

Edited by vassago
  • Like 3

Charlotte (, NC) was used to demonstrate the generic HealthCare.gov pricing mistakes on the CBS Evening News last night: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505269_162-57608843/healthcare.gov-pricing-feature-can-be-off-the-mark/

And again this morning on the CBS Morning News (that may not be the name of the show, but I don't really pay attention to those show names).

Not Charlotte specific but both a hilarious and deeply troubling portrayal of North Carolina.  The Daily Show interviews Don Yelton, a NC GOP executive committee member, about our states new voter laws.  It is the Daily Show so obviously it was cut to make Mr. Yelton look as bad as possible but even so...

"Suppressing the Vote"

http://www.hulu.com/watch/549336

For those of you playing along, the GOP has fired him and are distancing themselves.

http://www.sfgate.com/technology/businessinsider/article/Here-s-The-Racist-Daily-Show-Interview-That-4924666.php

Much like the Dems did with Alvin Green a few years ago. Thankfully, I understand that neither party is truly represented by either man. (this comment is not directed toward anyone in particular, just piggy-backing off this post)

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Reykjavik for Iceland Airwaves. Lots of people knew where Charlotte was or at least said "why have I heard of that before?"

One the country's most popular bands, "Retro Stefson", their drummer even sports Charlotte Hornets gear during shows. You can see him also rocking it on their album cover.

Here's that album:

post-26833-0-29488300-1383560431_thumb.j

• Like 4

Wow, NC's two largest cities were characterized as "mini-Atlantas", and Raleigh doubly insulted by the author not even understanding it's municipal distinctions.  And I *think* this is one of Yahoo's better writers, or at least there weren't numerous grammatical errors made within the first paragraph as is common there. 

Article

Wow, NC's two largest cities were characterized as "mini-Atlantas", and Raleigh doubly insulted by the author not even understanding it's municipal distinctions.  And I *think* this is one of Yahoo's better writers, or at least there weren't numerous grammatical errors made within the first paragraph as is common there. 

Article

Why are people here so desperate to not be compared to Atlanta? I think we ARE a mini-Atlanta in more ways than not (though that might misrepresent our geographic size by quite a bit)...I like Atlanta a lot, or at least what it is today, and often make this comparison for people who have never been here. Raleigh's size, populace and vibe are so different though that I don't think its as apt a comparison.

... Raleigh doubly insulted by the author not even understanding it's municipal distinctions. ...

I don't think the author misunderstood Raleigh at all.  Raleigh is not known as a city on its own (outside the state) so much as part of the Triangle.  When people speak of Raleigh they often mean the Raleigh Durham area.    

Hell I had a debate city vs city that I walked away from on city-data a while ago where it was Charlotte vs. Raleigh because the people from Raleigh said it was a Triangle area vs. Charlotte debate and wanted to use Chapel Hill and Durham strengths in their defense against Charlotte.

In that sense I think "Raleigh" is really more like a mini-Atlanta than Charlotte as it is no so much a single city core but three city cores that make a metro region.

Edited by Urbanity