Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

Bob Rucho, NC State Senator representing the southeast corner of Mecklenburg (also known as billjamestoria), tweeted:

“Justice Robert’s pen & Obamacare has done more damage to the USA then the swords of the Nazis, Soviets & terrorists combined.”

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/12/16/4549250/nc-gop-asks-sen-bob-rucho-to-apologize.html

Bob Rucho, NC State Senator representing the southeast corner of Mecklenburg (also known as billjamestoria), tweeted:

“Justice Robert’s pen & Obamacare has done more damage to the USA then the swords of the Nazis, Soviets & terrorists combined.”

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/12/16/4549250/nc-gop-asks-sen-bob-rucho-to-apologize.html

woah...

rucho just dug his hole deeper during a live interview on WBT: he flatly declined to apologize for "telling the truth," and generally just didn't quite grasp his profound mistake.

So, I may not agree with what he said (although I'm not really sure what he means to be honest), but why is it that everyone believes they are entitled to be outraged over every little thing? The guy is pretty much entitled to say what he wants...and those who don't like it are entitled to ignore it...nothing more really.

So, I may not agree with what he said (although I'm not really sure what he means to be honest), but why is it that everyone believes they are entitled to be outraged over every little thing? The guy is pretty much entitled to say what he wants...and those who don't like it are entitled to ignore it...nothing more really.

uhm.  no. 

Not to start a war but that is a friggin cop out.  He's supposed to represent interests beyond his own personal beliefs.  That's his job.  If he wants to be entitled to walk around just espousing crap like a government program is akin to nazism then bully for him but let him get a job as a radio commentator or fox news or something..

• Like 1

Not to jump on the bandwagon or anything, but this is a politician representing a semi-major American state/city, not Limbaugh or Stern on talk radio.  I think it is expected to have a slightly better level of diplomatic mettle, and intelligence frankly, than the average Joe, whether one agrees with Obamacare or not.  This sounds a bit too similar to the idiots commenting on Yahoo News, for example, who turn any story into Obama is a closet Muslim, the Antichrist and destroyer of western civilization.  A commie too I'm sure.  There's a certain obligation to the public, and future generations, that one elected to higher office has, if not one's own [adopted] home.

• Like 3

Charlotte metro climbed from #35 to #27 in the Milken Institue's Best Performing Cities 2013 which is supposedly based off of which cities are creating and keeping jobs.

The only other NC metro to make the list is Raleigh which fell from #3 to #13 (but is obviously still ahead of Charlotte).   

Charlotte specific information:  http://www.best-cities.org/bestcities.taf?rankyear=2013&type=Large-cities&metro=MCHR

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well this doesn't bode well for Chamber brochures: http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/01/the-geography-of-the-american-dream/283308/

Charlotte comes in dead last in upward mobility in the 50 largest commuting zones in the USA.  

How is it that Raleigh's "Commuter Zone" population is barely lower than ours, when our Metro Area is 2,296,569 and there's is 1,188,524

How is it that Raleigh's "Commuter Zone" population is barely lower than ours, when our Metro Area is 2,296,569 and there's is 1,188,524

Good point.

Knowing we have to take the knocks with the accolades when discussing our reputation/perception - I think there is something not calculated in the survey.  One example is does it account for social mobility of natives versus transplants?  I suspect not and thus it is missing most of the population that lives in cities like Charlotte and Raleigh (where being a native is a minority or fast becoming one)

• Like 1

One example is does it account for social mobility of natives versus transplants?  I suspect not and thus it is missing most of the population that lives in cities like Charlotte and Raleigh (where being a native is a minority or fast becoming one)

I think you've got it.  I read the report this morning.  I recall that they focused on people born in 1980-82, assigning them to Commuter Zones based on where they lived in approx 1996.  

Interestingly, the Charlotte Commuter Zone looks like it includes Rowan, Stanly and Anson counties in NC, and Chester and Lancaster counties in SC, but does not include Gaston county NC.  So if you lived in Kershaw SC, you were part of the Charlotte numbers, but if you grew up in Gastonia you were not!?