Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

5. Family Structure. Forget race, forget jobs, forget schools, forget churches, forget neighborhoods, and forget the top 1—or maybe 10—percent. Nothing matters more for moving up than who raises you. Or, in econospeak, nothing correlates with upward mobility more than the number of single parents, divorcees, and married couples. The cliché is true: Kids do best in stable, two-parent homes.

The country REALLY needs to focus on this fact...

It's about building denser cities, so the poor aren't so segregated. About good schools that you don't have to live in the right (and expensive) neighborhood to attend. And about ending a destructive drug war that imprisons and blights the job prospects of far too many non-violent offenders-further shrinking the pool of "marriageable" men.

I do like the proposed solutions though.

• Like 2

Well - the potential good of all this bad press is (assuming) the Charlotte/Meck reps used this image of us proactively and get federal incentives for everything from education money to mass transit to help people get to jobs.

It's an argument in favor of our funding needs delivered on a mass media silver platter.

Edited by Urbanity
  • Like 1

Charlotte for about 3-4 seconds at 21sec mark though I don't think the second part of where the guy is talking (and a woman is walking past some storefront) is actually us.   At least the part on Tryon Street and looks nice.   And at least it is not Atlanta!  

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/us/2014/01/29/bts-south-hit-by-winter-storm.cnn.html

Edited by Urbanity

Charlotte for about 3-4 seconds at 21sec mark though I don't think the second part of where the guy is talking (and a woman is walking past some storefront) is actually us.   At least it is on Tryon Street and looks nice.   And at least it is not Atlanta!  

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/us/2014/01/29/bts-south-hit-by-winter-storm.cnn.html

Yeah, unless that is like, Birkdale or something, it definitely does not look like Charlotte.

^

Earlier this fall, he even attended a Charlotte Bobcats game and heard himself say the words “let’s go ’Cats!” while clapping.

Its clear to me now that item #1 on my Charlotte wish list is for a local edition of the Onion. The economic impact is unimaginable. I hope the Chamber is working on that.

Edited by kermit

^

Its clear to me now that item #1 on my Charlotte wish list is for a local edition of the Onion. The economic impact is unimaginable. I hope the Chamber is working on that.

I wanted to do this with a financial spin and call it Tryon Street Journal....alas Dealbreaker came along and Charlotte lost banking prominence.

• Like 1

Morganton is very nice. I grew up there and my family still lives there. People live and work downtown and the stores fronts are occupied with retail, restaurants, professionals and service oriented businesses. Not a lot of bars and there are churches....so many of you wouldn't like it at all.

Morganton is very nice. I grew up there and my family still lives there. People live and work downtown and the stores fronts are occupied with retail, restaurants, professionals and service oriented businesses. Not a lot of bars and there are churches....so many of you wouldn't like it at all.

Sounds like Hendersonville

Meow.

My first gig as a real estate market analyst was doing a study for a small retail/office project in downtown.  Downtown Morganton is very cool--many apartment/condos above retail storefronts there.  And there are several bars--I went to at least two. I did not, however, visit a church while there.

• Like 2

I'm in Portland, OR right now and they mentioned Charlotte on the news in regards to the winter weather - no NC attached. I also haven't gotten asked anything about which state Charlotte is in while I've been here (when people ask me where I'm from, I just say "Charlotte" - no NC). Only a comment about "lucky you...that's where I want to move someday." 

Meanwhile, I'm envying the downtown retail here - Louis Vuitton, Juicy (not for long of course), Bose, H&M, Macy's, Nordstrom Rack, Tiffany, and a number of boutiques, etc. Downtown Portland is quite nice.

• Like 4

Had a brief moment of anger at "..the so-called Queen City" comment in this ranking article but decided it might have been meant innocently, its still an unnecessary emotional element to a largely number-based article.  Other points, 4 out of the 5 cities are in Texas, we made #4, our unemployment figures are much lower than I had thought at 4.1% according to the article, rents are slightly high.