Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

On a negative note that picture is from 7-8 years ago :-(

On the bright side again they'll be pleasantly surprised when they do their research and see much Charlotte actually has to offer and going-on for itself.

Then they too will scoff at all the out-dated pictures used of this town in current articles after they've visited or moved here.

too optimistic?

I think we need to stop being coy and hope people and businesses will come here, there are clear advantages to Charlotte that most of the Northeast and Midwest no longer have; good weather, low cost of living, easy transportation, close to the beach / mountains, strong companies, international connections, neighborhoods, urban density, etc!   We no longer have to say that we are cool like Atlanta, in fact, we are becoming cooler than Atlanta.

The ride for the next 50 years will be fun!

in fact, we are becoming cooler than Atlanta.

I love it here, and we may have a number of leg-ups on Atlanta and may even become the more attractive business destination, but no, we are not near becoming the "cooler" city. Atlanta still has music, food, festival and art scenes that we are not in the same league as yet, though we should certainly get credit for how rapidly those things are improving. 

I love it here, and we may have a number of leg-ups on Atlanta and may even become the more attractive business destination, but no, we are not near becoming the "cooler" city. Atlanta still has music, food, festival and art scenes that we are not in the same league as yet, though we should certainly get credit for how rapidly those things are improving.

:) I'll take being #2

http://www.kpmg.com/US/en/IssuesAndInsights/ArticlesPublications/Press-Releases/Pages/Atlanta-Most-Cost-Friendly-Business-Location-Among-Large-US-Cities-Cincinnati-Orlando-Follow-Closely-KPMG-Study.aspx

Charlotte ranked as the 4th most cost effective cities to do business in, Orlando is #3, Cincy is #2 (interesting given Chiquita's move ha) and Atlanta is #1. So this is good, CALL TO BUSINESSES: "Hey we are a cheap city to do business in, so move your offices here. Give Portman and Crescent a call so they can get their buildings underway!!" Thank you, UP forum members

• 2 weeks later...

The new Belk Flagship store at the Dallas Galleria replaces a Saks Fifth Avenue.

IMO Belk really fits Dallas 'fashion-sense' from what I witnessed when living there.I hope they do well.

Editorial note: The Galleria was the first place I was able to find 'a little taste of home' when i found a 5 Guys in the food court (2007).

While standing in line to order I would stare at all the DC, Richmond and other regional magazines on the walls wondering if I would ever return back East.

I did..

Edited by RVA2CLT

Interesting article on peoples exodus to "B-Cities" Charlotte is #5, Raleigh is #2 and SHOCKER Austin is #1

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-04-08/austin-or-bust-americas-biggest-cities-lose-people-to-the-urban-b-list#r=rss

I'm surprised so many want to move way down there to Austin. Though I wonder if their transplants are more west/southwestern than our snowbird/New England transplants.

I'm surprised so many want to move way down there to Austin. Though I wonder if their transplants are more west/southwestern than our snowbird/New England transplants.

People are starting to turn on Austin now.  It reminds me of Charlotte from like, 2000 - 2008 when we were the top of all of these lists.  At first it was all positive "oh wow, great for Charlotte" type comments, then it became "Charlotte is over rated", "Charlotte is a big suburb", "Charlotte is not New York" (well duh).  Anyways, Austin seems to be following that same time line.  I wonder who the next flavor of the week will be.

People are starting to turn on Austin now. It reminds me of Charlotte from like, 2000 - 2008 when we were the top of all of these lists. At first it was all positive "oh wow, great for Charlotte" type comments, then it became "Charlotte is over rated", "Charlotte is a big suburb", "Charlotte is not New York" (well duh). Anyways, Austin seems to be following that same time line. I wonder who the next flavor of the week will be.

Nashville I bet. The thing that turns me off about Nashville is the name "Gulch" :D I cringe every time i hear that name.

People are starting to turn on Austin now.  It reminds me of Charlotte from like, 2000 - 2008 when we were the top of all of these lists.  At first it was all positive "oh wow, great for Charlotte" type comments, then it became "Charlotte is over rated", "Charlotte is a big suburb", "Charlotte is not New York" (well duh).  Anyways, Austin seems to be following that same time line.  I wonder who the next flavor of the week will be.

Denver seems to be on that trajectory

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/prnewswire/press_releases/Illinois/2014/04/16/CG06256

Charlotte, #2 best city for recent college grads. Denver #1 and Austin (surprisingly not #1), is #4. Cool to be so high on this list (and I said Denver is the next "it" city, however, I know this list is nonsense because there are TWO Ohio cities on this list. Being a Ohio native, I can tell you, I will let Columbus be on here, but Cincinnati is a trash pit.

Edited by Jayvee

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/prnewswire/press_releases/Illinois/2014/04/16/CG06256

Charlotte, #2 best city for recent college grads. Denver #1 and Austin (surprisingly not #1), is #4. Cool to be so high on this list (and I said Denver is the next "it" city, however, I know this list is nonsense because there are TWO Ohio cities on this list. Being a Ohio native, I can tell you, I will let Columbus be on here, but Cincinnati is a trash pit.

I disagree with this as someone who graduated from college last year. Still looking for work.....