Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

It's amazing to me how Austin just keeps blowing the doors off everything... Their population and job gains are several steps ahead of everyone else. Though their rents and average home prices keep going up and up. In large part to all the new residential inventory coming online. Eventually, it will reach the point where it will no longer be appealing, especially to the natives. Sounds a little familiar huh?

It's amazing to me how Austin just keeps blowing the doors off everything... Their population and job gains are several steps ahead of everyone else. Though their rents and average home prices keep going up and up. In large part to all the new residential inventory coming online. Eventually, it will reach the point where it will no longer be appealing, especially to the natives. Sounds a little familiar huh?

I am helping my buddy look for a condo in Austin, the prices are INSANE. There are so many million dollar condo's in the downtown are it is absolutely crazy, no way can that be sustained.

I disagree with this as someone who graduated from college last year. Still looking for work.....

What is your field?

My girlfriend has an accounting degree, but decided to quit her job to go back to school for pre-veterinary.

She has recruiters call/email her every week throwing $60-80,000/yr jobs at her. They said demand for accountants is exceeding supply right now. She was probably qualified to be a mid-level accountant, but they said due to the lack of available people, they could probably get her senior level positions. She's only 26 and hasn't even worked for two years at this point!

My coworkers and I also have recruiters contacting us on LinkedIn / calling us relatively frequently.

What is your field?

My girlfriend has an accounting degree, but decided to quit her job to go back to school for pre-veterinary.

She has recruiters call/email her every week throwing $60-80,000/yr jobs at her. They said demand for accountants is exceeding supply right now. She was probably qualified to be a mid-level accountant, but they said due to the lack of available people, they could probably get her senior level positions. She's only 26 and hasn't even worked for two years at this point!

My coworkers and I also have recruiters contacting us on LinkedIn / calling us relatively frequently.

Same, I work in supply chain and I am contacted by recruiters 2-3x a month.  Some national but mostly in the Charlotte region.

What is your field?

Sorry, I don't mean to derail this thread into another topic! I have a bachelor's in business administration with my only job experience working in retail, which is what is holding me back I think. I only get a phone call form a recruiter once very 3 - 6 months lol. If you want you can send send me a private message.

The Third Ward has Sycamore trees and charming townhomes. It has a dog park and a community garden, and it is a family-oriented neighborhood.

14% of its population is aged 25 to 34, and it has a median rent of $818. The average income is $28,494.

I'm having a hard time believing any of that. Half the rental prices in 3rd Ward are below $818/mo? Yeah I call bullcrap.

And good luck living uptown on 28,000/yr.

I'm having a hard time believing any of that. Half the rental prices in 3rd Ward are below $818/mo? Yeah I call bullcrap.

And good luck living uptown on 28,000/yr.

Yeah none of that is remotely accurate. Anyway I stopped reading the article after seeing Morrisville (outside of Raleigh/Cary) listed as a great place for college graduates to live. Sure some college grads want to move to suburbia and not be within 20 miles of anything that could be considered nightlife, but that's not the sort of info I expect to find in an article with that title.

I wonder if the quoted rental prices could be dragged down by those units around J&W? Assuming many of those apts in Gateway are inhabitated by J&W students (think 3 or 4 to a unit), that could explain the average coming in lower than expected.

That said, as a 3rd Ward resident, I do think it's an awesome place to live.

I wonder if the quoted rental prices could be dragged down by those units around J&W? Assuming many of those apts in Gateway are inhabitated by J&W students (think 3 or 4 to a unit), that could explain the average coming in lower than expected.

That said, as a 3rd Ward resident, I do think it's an awesome place to live.

When I lived in 3rd ward, my biggest gripe was the lack of connectivity. I lived down on Greenleaf and I hated that I had to walk an extra 4-5 blocks because of the rail tracks. I had to walk down to 4th street before I could start going east. I hope they change this at some point in the future.

I actually almost mentioned connectivity/isolation in my post above, as it is the one big drawback.  You're in Uptown, but you do feel a bit isolated from other areas.  The train tracks & practice fields cut you off from the core of Uptown, 77 cuts you off from Wesley Heights, and Morehead being so underdeveloped cuts you off from SouthEnd.

In time, I figure some of these will change, with development along Morehead being the most likely.  But while inconvenient, it really isn't that bad to walk down to 4th St & then into uptown or cut under the train tracks at the tunnel @ BOA stadium.  I can be at the ballpark in 6 minutes and Tryon in 12 minutes.  It's unique; a bit more of a residential feel than the other wards, perhaps.  It will be interesting to see if they ever extend MLK all the way to Cedar.  That may open up the neighborhood a bit more (I live on Greenleaf now).

I always thought that should be referred to as the Fifth Ward.  It has its own sense of being that is apart from the TradeMark, 230 South Tryon part of Third Ward.  Also, Gateway is more a part of that than the Fourth Ward.

Just my 2 cents.

Anyone know what happened to the apartments that were to be built between Trade and Fifth just past Gateway?

I've never heard of this station "TravelTherapyTV" but I just kind of stumbled across this video.  It's short and rather to the point, but honestly does a better job simply showcasing some of the uniqueness of Charlotte than our own CRVA does.  And it doesn't highlight the freaking Epicenter.

• Like 3

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/edgl45gfih/no-14-charlotte-gastonia-rock-hill-nc-sc/

Charlotte named 14th (down from 8th) best big city for jobs. they actually used a really cool picture

Raleigh was 4th, but the picture they used for Raleigh made it look so small. They could have made Raleigh seem a bit bigger with a different angle...after all, this is a best BIG cities for jobs list. Of course, Forbes lists are never really that reliable, and they usually don't accurately portray the cities that they list, so I shouldn't be surprised that they made their number 4 city look Podunk.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/morning-edition/2014/06/see-what-visitors-from-kentucky-are-saying-about.html

Semi interesting (if almost irrelevant) article about KY visitors tweets about Charlotte.

Wow, seems like Charlotte really impressed them! Those tweets are 100% positive, reflecting on how Charlotte embraces diversity, arts, sports, etc.

Wow, seems like Charlotte really impressed them! Those tweets are 100% positive, reflecting on how Charlotte embraces diversity, arts, sports, etc.

Yes they are positive, if they are geniune is the question. A lot of them just seem like total fluff. Which, I guess is fine, makes us look better lol