Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

http://cltdevelopment.blogspot.com/2014/06/charlotte-ranked-10th-most-dangerous.html

Well this isnt good. Charlotte named 10th most dangerous city to walk in, to add fuel to our conversation about how safe South end is to walk in. This list comes at it from a walkability safety, rather than crime related.

However, I must note that this list is obviously nonsense, given the fact Detroit is #11, Cleveland isn't even in the top 30. Granted, those 2 are more crime related dangers.....I still find it hard to believe Cleveland isn't in there.

• Like 1

I had this exact thought, just yesterday, as I sat in a restaurant and a Yale t-shirted (recent grad looking) man passed a Penn State t-shirted young woman.

• 3 weeks later...

The most popular travel destination for North Carolina travelers is Charlotte... Interesting. Wouldn't be my first guess.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/morning-edition/2014/07/the-10-most-popular-destinations-for-north.html

Wow you would think it would be one of the beaches, or something like that wouldn't you??? That is an awesome win!

Edited by Jayvee

I find it hard to believe that Gaitlinburg is on here and not Asheville...

My family (not a single one from anywhere near the south) who moved here to NC has gone to Gatlinburg almost yearly for the past 20 years. And also nearly yearly to Myrtle Beach.

Conversly, none has been to Asheville except me (only briefly as I originally went to Hendersonville to shop on their downtown, and just made a brief trip to Ashville, drove around their Downtown then drove around Biltmore) and my mother for business.

I'm probably one of the few on the message boards that does not care about Asheville at all. I have zero interest in Asheville (or Chapel Hill, another place with raving reviews). I am younger, very liberal both socially & politically. I didn't care for Austin neither (but loved San Antonio). But I do love visiting Gatlinburg and Sliding Rock. And it's probably a compliment to Austin & Asheville because I'm not a hipster and being hip is all the rage these days.

I'm probably one of the few on the message boards that does not care about Asheville at all. I have zero interest in Asheville (or Chapel Hill, another place with raving reviews). I am younger, very liberal both socially & politically. I didn't care for Austin neither (but loved San Antonio). But I do love visiting Gatlinburg and Sliding Rock. And it's probably a compliment to Austin & Asheville because I'm not a hipster and being hip is all the rage these days.

I'm interested to see who agrees and disagrees! As someone who grew up in NC, my mind is already made up that Asheville is where I'll eventually retire. It's so small yet I never get tired of going. One of my favorite places on earth.

And Austin is a hipster town, but Asheville is a hippie town :)

• Like 1

I'm probably one of the few on the message boards that does not care about Asheville at all. I have zero interest in Asheville 

I've lost interest in Asheville too.  I do not hate the place, but I have certainly fallen out of love with it.  Now that I have a kid, I'd much rather go to Greenville, Gatlinburg, or just a cabin or campground in the mountains.  

I see that this list was based on AAA TripTik requests, so maybe that's going to skew the demographic away from people who are really in to hippie towns?  I think that my last TripTik trip was in 1999.  

• 3 weeks later...

I guess this is more of a local perception than a nationwide perception but whatever. Can't say I agree with everything on this list (Price's @ number 2? Really? I don't get that hype at all), but it is a nice little fluff piece

http://www.charlottemagazine.com/Charlotte-Magazine/August-2014/50-Things-Every-Charlottean-Should-Do/

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 1

^Not sure I'd put Price's at #2, but it's something everyone in Charlotte should have had at least once... Even if it's the last meal you have. Their Fried Chicken is the shiznit. They've been profiled on plenty of Food Network and Travel Channel shows before so their praise is not unwarranted. 

• Like 1

^Not sure I'd put Price's at #2, but it's something everyone in Charlotte should have had at least once... Even if it's the last meal you have. Their Fried Chicken is the shiznit. They've been profiled on plenty of Food Network and Travel Channel shows before so their praise is not unwarranted. 

Yeah I honestly wish I liked it as much as its hyped up, maybe I have just gotten the wrong thing :/

#45 makes me cringe :sick: . No one in the 21st century should be celebrating Overstreet Mall's existence.

I would be more than happy to celebrate an over street mall but unfortunately we don't have one (I don't care what they call it, that is no mall. An airport concourse is 10x better shopping)

• Like 1

That's not a real list.   Here's a real list (so far)

1. Go on a Charlotte Brewery crawl
  2. Set up a dinner party where the sole conversation is "Uptown or Downtown"
  3. Walk up to people and buzzzzzzz in their ear for the return of the hornets
  4. Stand with a white cardboard in the middle of First Ward to lament the long absence of promised development
  5. Go to Gay Pride and have a talk with the protesters about the merit of eating shellfish
  6. Call out "Reese" whenever Jerry the Jester makes an appearance!
  7. Petition City Council to make University City Partners be forced to change their name to University Suburban Partners
  8. Celebrate the Meck Dec!
  9. Plan your Completion of the 485 party now
  10. Walk through Uptown and ask people where you can get a snickers bar after 5 p.m.
  11. Correct people on how to pronounce "Myers" Park
  12. Repost Kevin Siers toons regularly
  13. Ask repeatedly when is the theme resturant rage going to end
  14. Always have change for the bands/musicians that play Tryon Street
  15. Start saying South End was so last year
  16. Walk, jog, or bike from CPCC to Park Road Shopping Center via greenway
  17. Watch Meck County Commish meetings on TV with a drinking game: 1 shot for every  incendiary statement by either Vilma Leake or Bill James
  18. Drive the 277 over and over until you complete the full version of Hey Jude
  19. Stand at the corner of Queens and Queens and ask people for directions to Kings
  20. Go to the Farmers Market and ask loudly if there is an ATM around there
  21. Haggle at the NASCAR HoF for a decent admission price
  22. Go to Uptown Cabaret and ask for the Mayor's special

#8 should be a big parade and celebration.  It could really be Charlotte's "thing"

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...