Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

http://time.com/money/3318962/best-big-city-bargains-best-places/

I feel like these lists are making it more expensive. 

Charlotte should be included, but being a Nashvillian whose city is arguable one of the most trending city in the nation, how can Time not include Nashville? city pop is 650k+ metro is 1.8m+  avg income to cost of living is great... oh and we have two pro sports teams that are extremely well supported (lookin at you Columbus)

Edited by HawaiianEagle

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/141838/cam-newtons-postgame-style-might-be-a-bit-too-much-for-charlotte

Pretty absurd non-issue regarding the Panthercats if you ask me, but is Charlotte known as an un-stylish town?

As a brooklynite that rolls his pants up above his ankles and wears shoes with no socks... I say Cam's pants are...

still a little too short and Capri-like.

Wow, with all due respect, and I have to say I'm not a country music fan, but that's the first time I EVER heard Nashville was trendy! I guess it all depends on what the trend is. Hollowing out a city so there is no downtown but a few decaying tourist spots? It could be on that list for sure.

I wish we were a city of jeans and tee's then I would fit in. Instead we're a city of double breasted suits or on a crazy,crazy sunday afternoon maybe Khaki's and a Polo. ;-)

Wow, with all due respect, and I have to say I'm not a country music fan, but that's the first time I EVER heard Nashville was trendy! I guess it all depends on what the trend is. Hollowing out a city so there is no downtown but a few decaying tourist spots? It could be on that list for sure.

I wish we were a city of jeans and tee's then I would fit in. Instead we're a city of double breasted suits or on a crazy,crazy sunday afternoon maybe Khaki's and a Polo. ;-)

Jesus elrodvt, is there any city you do like?

Jesus elrodvt, is there any city you do like?

HaHa, I know I come off negative - sorry, it's just the posts I tend to react too or make! I don't see the point of posting about things in CLT I like yet as I don't know very much. I post about what I don't like in the hopes someone will steer me straight. As they did about places to eat breakfast downtown.

Anyhow,  I did a lot of research visiting cities we might move to. Even had a pretty detailed spreadsheet. CLT was well ahead of NSH I'll have you know. ;-) We did visit NSH for quite a while including looking at where to live. If you like urban that was certainly not the place. Maybe things have changed as it was ~5 years ago. 

I wear tank tops, shorts, flip flops and all uptown including in the over street mall during business hours. Even with a backwards hat.

I'm not a fan of Nashville myself. But I do think it's a booming city, great center city activity., impressive growth etc.

Though I i dont like Austin, Asheville or Charleston either so I'm an oddball anyway,

• Like 1

Not a bad grouping to be podded with.  Of course, take anything from Huffpo with a grain of salt.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/26/americas-top-5-cities-to-keep-on-your-radar_n_5811822.html

I know, I know, the Atlanta comparison's grow tired, but we will never outgrow our older brothers shadow.

I just think it's hilarious that we are perceived as "the next Atlanta", when ever since I moved here the most common phrase I have heard in planning conversations is "we don't want to be another Atlanta"...

I just think it's hilarious that we are perceived as "the next Atlanta", when ever since I moved here the most common phrase I have heard in planning conversations is "we don't want to be another Atlanta"...

Atlanta gets a raw deal. I think Atlanta is great. I'd be ecstatic if Charlotte was the "next Atlanta".

That said, it'll be tough to duplicate. Atlanta boomed (is still booming mind you) in a different era. That can be both positive and negative for us moving forward.

Atlanta gets a raw deal. I think Atlanta is great. I'd be ecstatic if Charlotte was the "next Atlanta".

That said, it'll be tough to duplicate. Atlanta boomed (is still booming mind you) in a different era. That can be both positive and negative for us moving forward.

I agree. Traffic aside, Atlanta is pretty cool.

This a million times. I hate that so many people in this city like to pretend that Atlanta is the worst place on earth when really there may be no other city more similar to us in the country. There are a lot of mistakes to learn from in their development history (most of which we've made anyway), but there are a lot of positives worth emulating too. When I'm there I describe Charlotte to people who have never been as a smaller more manageable Atlanta, and those people I meet who have been here describe it the exact same way (in a very positive way mind you). 

I think they mean next "Atlanta" as in major destination. Not necessarily the composition of the city

Edit: I love Atlanta but I don't feel like we are that smiliar anymore than our other Southern cities are.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

If the photo below seriously looks like a "hollowed out" city with "decaying tourist spots" to you then I'm forced to assume you only appreciate sterile and brand new urban built environments. You also did Nashville like a clueless tourist if the only music you were able to find is the country in The District. Nashville's storied musical legacy affords it a great and well-rounded music scene. I don't like country music either, but I easily do 3-4 awesome shows a month here and that's not even counting the great free events like Live on the Green or Musician's Corner. And if you cannot picture Nashville as "trendy," then why does it have a prime-time network sitcom and get lauded in magazine after magazine on a daily basis?

Charlotte is certainly ahead of Nashville in terms of newer urban development with its impressive growth the last few decades, but Nashville is hardly a slouch in that department and is working with better bones. In terms of "New South" cities, Nashville is a better balance of old and new than Charlotte. What it lacks in tall, new office and residential towers, it makes up for it with numerous energetic nodes throughout its urban core extending well outside of downtown...and we're starting to get the new towers to add to this now too.  

IMG_0086_zpsa4e1f8be.jpg

• Like 3

Ariesjow, We stayed downtown and walked all around. Granted this was 5 or so years ago but there were VERY limited places to live downtown and you really needed a car for most everything other than a few very touristy spots. Now we did puzzle this out on our own so perhaps we missed the best of Nashville but somehow I doubt it.

Has the last 5 years changed things a lot there? The only suitable housing we could find was way out at "the gulch" which was pretty much in the middle of nothing.