Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

I've never seen it but it looks like that is a cheesy drama soap type show not a sitcom.

It looks very stupid. Then again, I would loveeee for a stupid cheesy drama called "Charlotte"

Look how excited we get over Prudential & Siemen commercials, Bachlorette, Homeland, Bad Grandpa. Heck, some of us still get a woody from being showcased in Duece Bigalow. I think there was a Chris Brown music video that also showcased the QC we were excited about here 5 or more years ago.

• Like 1

I hope someone hasn't posted this elsewhere, but I haven't seen it if they have. The newish Prudential commercial featuring the dominoes to save for retirement was filmed in uptown Charlotte. I swear I probably saw this commercial 10 times before I realized it was Charlotte (the shorter version doesn't actually say "Charlotte, NC" on it when it starts - at least I don't think). Here is the minute-long version. You have probably seen it before, but might not have noticed like me:

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7Cj6/prudential-the-prudential-dominoes-experiment

Yes, my bad on calling Nashville a sitcom. It's a primetime drama. It's indeed cheesy as hell, but a tremendous showcase for our city.

Ariesjow, We stayed downtown and walked all around. Granted this was 5 or so years ago but there were VERY limited places to live downtown and you really needed a car for most everything other than a few very touristy spots. Now we did puzzle this out on our own so perhaps we missed the best of Nashville but somehow I doubt it.

Has the last 5 years changed things a lot there? The only suitable housing we could find was way out at "the gulch" which was pretty much in the middle of nothing.

My main quibble with your post were your "hollowing out a city" and "decaying tourist spots" lines. I would have ignored your post but for those lines. They didn't ring true and were perplexing to me coming from someone who lives in a city that quite literally decimated its downtown before rebuilding it anew. If anything, Nashville has done a tremendous job revitalizing and utilizing its vintage and historic structures as a catalyst for more development. I'm sure many Charlotteans would greatly appreciate having a few, well-maintained streets of historic structures with storefronts and bars that are conducive to pedestrian traffic like Nashville's Broadway, 2nd or 5th Avenues. At the very least, this has been a consistent complaint from the people that I know who live or have lived there. We Nashvillians would also greatly appreciate a light rail line and street car network like Charlotte has implemented as well. To me, these two cities have a fair amount of things that the other could use.

I can respect the fact that you may not have found as much residential in downtown Nashville as you would have liked visiting pre-recession. I would say that the Midtown/West End area was probably the most livable urban area around that time. Nashville literally went decades with restrictions on building residential downtown and, until recently, did not have the growth to necessitate building as many residential towers as Charlotte. That has changed significantly since your last visit. The last five years have probably been the most dramatic changes to Nashville's built environment in the city's history. We're excited as we realize this is just the beginning.

Edited by ariesjow
  • Like 1

ariesjow, yeah, I see your point on the hollowing out comment. CLT is sure a lot worse in that respect. It's just we found virtually no places we liked to hang out in - it was all very touristy. lot of vacancies too if I remember right. Anyhow, sounds like we need to make another visit, maybe catch a college basketball game. BTW, We didn't pick CLT either, we had to move here. We picked DEN from among all the cities we visited.

ariesjow, yeah, I see your point on the hollowing out comment. CLT is sure a lot worse in that respect. It's just we found virtually no places we liked to hang out in - it was all very touristy. lot of vacancies too if I remember right. Anyhow, sounds like we need to make another visit, maybe catch a college basketball game. BTW, We didn't pick CLT either, we had to move here. We picked DEN from among all the cities we visited.

Youre very high maintence aren't you?

• Like 1

Youre very high maintence aren't you?

Nice. Not sure where that comes from in the context of our conversion on NSH? It sounds to me like things are a lot better there than we could see in a couple days visit. I sure hope you're not disagreeing that charlotte was hollowed out...

To those who're bothered by my negative comments - I like to think I provide the outsiders, and admittedly as a new resident sometimes mis-informed, perspective.

I've learned a lot here, in response to my critiques of CLT, and am seeing a lot of the good we initially missed. 

Is that ok with you?

A comment on the show "Nashville".  I have never watched it, so I can't comment on how cheesey it is.  I live in Nashville.  I went to a family gathering in Pittsburgh and everyone, well the women, wanted to know if I'd seen the people in the show and other questions.  They seemed quite surprised that I didn't know much about it.  It seems it is a pretty popular show.  I have heard they film outdoor scenes here. I don't know about interior scenes. I was surprised that they knew some of the buildings and bars.  Free advertisement for the city.

I have seen over the years several commercials use Charlotte.  I recognized it but someone who hadn't lived there (I lived there 20 years) would not know it.  But it always looked so modern and clean.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.yahoo.com/food/the-40-biggest-us-cities-ranked-by-their-food-105293046346.html

Here is an article ranking cities based on the best food. Glad to see they think so highly of Charlotte (so stupid)

Population: 731,424
In a state defined by its delicious vinegar-based barbecue & excellent seafood, Charlotte does both fine, but neither well. Plus most of the people who live here seem to be Yankee expats doing their three years at Bank of America before heading off to more glamorous metropolises with better grub.

https://www.yahoo.com/food/the-40-biggest-us-cities-ranked-by-their-food-105293046346.html

Here is an article ranking cities based on the best food. Glad to see they think so highly of Charlotte (so stupid)

Population: 731,424

In a state defined by its delicious vinegar-based barbecue & excellent seafood, Charlotte does both fine, but neither well. Plus most of the people who live here seem to be Yankee expats doing their three years at Bank of America before heading off to more glamorous metropolises with better grub.

Why did they do us by City pop and most by MSA. Also people don't take the time to appreciate Charlotte Cuisine. There are a lot of great restaurants, although I admit, not as many as there should be.

We all agree that there are areas for improvement in the culinary scene here. But yea, that article does little to show that they even made an effort to take in the local flare. If nothing else, an opportunity to take a jab at the city (they didn't even use MSA as RD pointed out). Then again, they rated New Orleans the #1. No offense, to them, I like gumbo but they would be in my top 10 at best. 

Edited by wend28

Hard to disagree with putting us fairly low on the list--we don't have a distinctive cuisine/dish & could use more adventurous restaurant options. Asheville & Durham are too small to make that list, but I think they would both rank ahead of us for interesting food right now.

But there's no need to be rude about it. At least they could have given a mention of our growing local beer scene.