Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

Not a surprise, with how much growth we can actually see, but Uptown/Southend is the fastest growing submarket for Apartments in the US. Mooresville comes in #5.

http://www.mooresvilletribune.com/news/mooresville-ranks-high-in-apartment-inventory/article_50383406-856d-11e4-8e0f-5fd9629a2ec3.html

What's most encouraging about that list is that it's central Charlotte seeing that growth.  Shout out to Central Nashville and Central Indianapolis as well!

• Like 1

What's most encouraging about that list is that it's central Charlotte seeing that growth.  Shout out to Central Nashville and Central Indianapolis as well!

I was kind of hoping we didn't top this list, it makes me nervous that we are overbuilding.

I've lived here for nearly two years and apparently no one is harder on Charlotte than a Charlottean. Since I've been here I've hosted friends from LA, NYC, DC and Detroit. All were ROUNDLY impressed with the city.

Completely agree with this.

I've lived here for nearly two years and apparently no one is harder on Charlotte than a Charlottean. Since I've been here I've hosted friends from LA, NYC, DC and Detroit. All were ROUNDLY impressed with the city.

Completely agree with this. Any visitors I've had have all been impressed (from columbus, cleveland, NYC, Austin and Denver)

Friend hosted a business visitor from Los Angeles. They went to Hornets game and generally experienced Charlotte. LA dude :rolleyes:  had heard of Panthers and BofA and little else. He wondered what "Charlotte" really was. His money comment was "I wondered what people spent money on. It CERtainly was not clothing." :whistling:

Friend hosted a business visitor from Los Angeles. They went to Hornets game and generally experienced Charlotte. LA dude :rolleyes:  had heard of Panthers and BofA and little else. He wondered what "Charlotte" really was. His money comment was "I wondered what people spent money on. It CERtainly was not clothing." :whistling:

Somebody should have informed him we have real people here.

"I see fat people..."

GTY_haley_joel_osment_1_kab_140916_16x9_

Small, marginally off topic anecdote about Osment.  I was in Ri Ra one day, minding my own business in the corner with a glass of booze in my hand, when I struck up a conversation with one of the waitresses.  Somehow we got on the topic of Osment and she told me that he had been at Ri Ra a week prior (this was like, 2 years ago) as he was in town for some film or something.  Anyways, long story short, she said he was a big a**hole.  He got so drunk that he passed out at the bar and apparently some of the male bartenders there had to "physically" remove him like a dead fish.  Merry Christmas. :rofl:

Edited by ah59396
  • Like 2

Completely agree with this.

Completely agree with this. Any visitors I've had have all been impressed (from columbus, cleveland, NYC, Austin and Denver)

No offense, but you guys are either delusional or have some really polite friends who live in the suburbs of those cities. ;-)

Look I know Charlotte has come a long way in recent years and it's one the best cities in the south and it's great to be proud of that progress. But, honestly, that isn't saying much in terms of an urban lifestyle as the entire south is a wasteland wrt urbanism. Surely the Raleigh area should not even be considered an urban destination...

I guess it all comes down to a common definition of a "city" or "urban" to make fair judgments. Using my urban focused definition, Charlotte has a LONG way to go to be in a "top 20" conversation of places to live for those that desire an urban lifestyle. 

I hope we get there and believe it could actually happen sooner rather than later. All these new apartment buildings uptown are great news - now we just need a project to close down S? Tryon to cars and bring in kiosks,retail and local themed street fairs..... (my pet project). What do others use to judge a good city? Am I wrong to focus on urbanism in this forum?

I don't mean it as condescending, really I don't! I was being serious and wondering what criteria people use to say Charlotte is a top city? I just have a hard time seeing it from a strictly urban perspective. Do you?

I do. If we were already there, at that level, I don't think I'd jab such an interest. But There is potential & momentum to be something great (from an urbanism pov) especially compared to our southern peers. With like minded people like us, the city will become more urbane. I think the general composition of civic leaders is to be the urban city we want.

Besides skyscrapers, we need real things to do, authenticity instead of sterile lobbies. Something to do besides eat. More places to shop so be able to live. I think we've been heading in that direction since '08 pretty fast.

I also think there needs to be a better mix of lower middle class representation.it seems like center city is either affluent or borderline poverty. And safer, cleaner areas have 0 urbanity whatsoever: that's frustrating to me.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 2

I do. If we were already there, at that level, I don't think I'd jab such an interest. But There is potential & momentum to be something great (from an urbanism pov) especially compared to our southern peers. With like minded people like us, the city will become more urbane. I think the general composition of civic leaders is to be the urban city we want.

Besides skyscrapers, we need real things to do, authenticity instead of sterile lobbies. Something to do besides eat. More places to shop so be able to live. I think we've been heading in that direction since '08 pretty fast.

I also think there needs to be a better mix of lower middle class representation.it seems like center city is either affluent or borderline poverty. And safer, cleaner areas have 0 urbanity whatsoever: that's frustrating to me.

Well said, especially the mix of classes.

I hope we get there and believe it could actually happen sooner rather than later. All these new apartment buildings uptown are great news - now we just need a project to close down S? Tryon to cars and bring in kiosks,retail and local themed street fairs..... (my pet project). What do others use to judge a good city? Am I wrong to focus on urbanism in this forum?

You're welcome to your tastes of kiosks and local themed street fairs, but those don't necessarily make a place "urban"; they're just your taste. Malls have kiosks and fairs in them, but nobody who I know would qualify a mall with kiosks and a fair as "urban". Nor does closing down S. Tryon to cars make it "urban"; New York City, for example, has few if any streets that are closed to cars, but Raleigh in the 1970s did. Which is more urban?

You're welcome to your tastes of kiosks and local themed street fairs, but those don't necessarily make a place "urban"; they're just your taste. Malls have kiosks and fairs in them, but nobody who I know would qualify a mall with kiosks and a fair as "urban". Nor does closing down S. Tryon to cars make it "urban"; New York City, for example, has few if any streets that are closed to cars, but Raleigh in the 1970s did. Which is more urban?

Broadway in herald square, and Times Square are closed to traffic. Also Fulton in Brooklyn :-)

I'd rather have safer, cleaner areas and have 0 urbanity than have urbanity and be a dangerous and dirty city. I don't get why anyone would give up safety and cleanliness for "urbanity"

Most people, including myself who lives in LKN, won't give up safety & cleanliness in exchange for urbanity. It seems like, in center city urban areas, it's either pretty affluent or borderline poverty. With most safer appearing middle income neighborhoods being a little further out but as Suburban as it gets (it sorta defeats the purpose of living in the city). No sidewalks, culdesacs, etc.

So I just live in Huntersville where I have sidewalks, the shopping centers are sorta urbanish, Birkdale Village is fairly urban. Jetton Park, North Meck park. Several greenways. Lots of new neighborhoods with shotgun hoises are block form with driveways in the back, etc. Though once I feel I'm in a financial position where I can be in the urban and desireable parts of center city, I will.

And Retail kiosk. I read it's a top priority. When you have little retail, it adds a lot. Ed Herman (I think our retail Czars name is) said They'll Push in 2015 to have retail kiosk as a first step, to show retailers retail can work, to make street life more interesting, etc.

I think kiosk are a great idea.

And didn't closing Fayetteville St. in Raleigh kill pedestrian traffic, business and once they reopened it thrived again? I could be completely wrong, I never really followed thst

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

"Am I wrong to focus on urbanism in this forum?"

That comes across as condescending. Most of us have traveled to many cities, know a lot about urbanity. Some frequent Charlotte posters live in Atlanta, Seattle & Brooklyn. Some are from Cleveland, some from Orlando & Miami.

We all know about urbanity. You're not more enlightened than the rest of us. I'm not sure that's your intention but I think for the most part I agree with you on several things Charlotte could continue to progress at. I just get lost in the tone you say it. And by tone I don't mean being critical of Charlotte, I mean coming across as if some of us dont know what urbanism is.

Agree with this.

We aren't oblivious idiots to what Charlotte is.  It doesn't have to be some bastion of urban paradise to still be a great city.  And as we've stressed before, we are all well aware that.  Charlotte doesn't need to be Chicago or New York for someone from there to be impressed with it.  You won't meet a person on here that thinks Charlotte is in the "top 20" of urban anything.

• Like 2

Most of us feel Charlotte can improve in alot of areas & I think we are (although not as quickly as we like). With that said the areas likely to experience major urbanized growth are also the least likely to be affordable . University City offers the best opportunity to have affordable housing near transit infrastructure , just be prepared to see more Birkdale than South end.