Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

If nothing else this thread points out how difficult it is for planners to make everyone happy. Here on an urban focused forum we have folks who think Ballantyne is nice.

BTW, I was talking to someone from the planning office who told me uptown is great and now they need to focus on outlying areas. I was pretty surprised by that statement and it gave me little hope things are going to change anytime soon if we expect them to drive it.

If nothing else this thread points out how difficult it is for planners to make everyone happy. Here on an urban focused forum we have folks who think Ballantyne is nice.

BTW, I was talking to someone from the planning office who told me uptown is great and now they need to focus on outlying areas. I was pretty surprised by that statement and it gave me little hope things are going to change anytime soon if we expect them to drive it.

Need to focus on the streets cape and pedestrian experience of the entire center city.

The best case scenario for Charlotte is one of choice IMO,you can choose a urban,suburban or somewhere in between lifestyle. The best you can hope for is for local government to encourage smarter development patterns than were allowed in the past. Forcing a complete urban centric model is not the answer nor is allowing car centric ,unconnected cul de sacs

Edited by js4life

If Charlotte planners focused all of their energy on urbanization for the next 30 years the balance between urban and suburban environments would still be unchanged.

If the rate of urban growth continued at the rate it has since the late 90s, I think the scales would tip more than you'd expect.

If the rate of urban growth continued at the rate it has since the late 90s, I think the scales would tip more than you'd expect.

I dunno, current population of uptown and Southend is around 25,000 -- or roughly 1% of metro population. If planners somehow increased that number ten-fold (which is unrealistic IMO) then we are still talking about less than 10% of Charlotte in 'urban' neighborhoods.

I am certainly rooting for more urbanization, but the burbs are such a huge portion of Charlotte that I don't seen much potential for a radical redistribution of population in our lifetimes.

^Just curious, but what's considered West End? Is that the Wesley Heights area?

"The Historic West End Partners are honored to serve the historic West Trade Street/Beatties Ford Road corridor in Charlotte, North Carolina also known as the Historic West End. We are committed to promoting the West End's  cultural and economic development while honoring its rich heritage."

http://www.historicwestendpartners.com/default.html

^I think Plaza-Midwood, West End, Elizabeth, and Noda will become more urban in the coming years with transit expansion. You have to account for these areas as future parts of "urban" Charlotte.

I consider all of the innerburbs as part of Charlotte's urban footprint. You also have to keep in mind that most of the new development in these areas will price many out of living in these neighborhoods because of the cost of land Edited by js4life

I'm doing something wrong here.  This is the second time this has happened.  I use a quote in my post and after typing my extremely interesting comment and hitting post, I get nothing.  A little guidance here would be nice.  Anybody have an idea what I'm doing wrong.

Ouch... Just heard a guy on NFL network ask if the receiving edge for the Seahawks-Panthers game this weekend goes to Doug Baldwin and co. or to Kelvin Benjamin and "that crew in Durham". >;0

Well, NFL guys were never meant to be geography majors... At least they got the state right and they are not in Charleston, South Carolina. 

I'm doing something wrong here.  This is the second time this has happened.  I use a quote in my post and after typing my extremely interesting comment and hitting post, I get nothing.  A little guidance here would be nice.  Anybody have an idea what I'm doing wrong.

Make sure you are using a current browser (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, IE11). I prefer Chrome myself. If you're still having issues, shoot me a PM or use the contact form at the top for file a support request.

So, we hit 2.5 million in population. We host the DNC. Our mayor goes to jail. What more do we have to do to shake off being the largest city in America commonly confused with Charlottesville, VA ?

Maybe change our name to Carolina City or Carolinapolis.