Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

If it were to be changed, it should change to Metrolina. This is a name that should be used more often when talking about the big 3 NC metros, Metrolina, Piedmont Triad, Triangle.

I've always thought that Metrolina sounded silly...esp. compared to the other two which I've always liked. You used to hear it a lot more than you do now.

Just got back a few days ago from a two week trip to Maryland.  Not one person asked where Charlotte was.  Win.

I hate the name Metrolina.  Triangle and Triad make sense because they're a combination of mid-sized cities that make a larger metro as a whole, they don't have a center.  Just call Metrolina "Charlotte" and be done with it.  Do you call the metro surrounding Atlanta anything but "Atlanta"?

Just got back a few days ago from a two week trip to Maryland.  Not one person asked where Charlotte was.  Win.

I hate the name Metrolina.  Triangle and Triad make sense because they're a combination of mid-sized cities that make a larger metro as a whole, they don't have a center.  Just call Metrolina "Charlotte" and be done with it.  Do you call the metro surrounding Atlanta anything but "Atlanta"?

I also hate Metrolina as a name, but the Atlanta area doesn't cross a state border with a state called South Georgia.

Metrolina is supposed to designate a metro region that bridges both Carolinas. It's stupid for sure, but I understand how they came up with the name. I just hope they never make any serious push to identify this region as anything other than Charlotte.

Just got back a few days ago from a two week trip to Maryland. Not one person asked where Charlotte was. Win.

I hate the name Metrolina. Triangle and Triad make sense because they're a combination of mid-sized cities that make a larger metro as a whole, they don't have a center. Just call Metrolina "Charlotte" and be done with it. Do you call the metro surrounding Atlanta anything but "Atlanta"?

I've always liked Metrolina. It's kinda weird. Plus it's better than DFW's "Metroplex".

Last night on Wheel of Fortune, one of the contestants was announced as being "Originally from Charlotte, but now living in Queens, NY." Pat's first question was, "So how's life in the big city? Not that Charlotte's not a big city too."

I'm sure quite a few people on this board just got a rustle in their jimmies from Queens getting a state descriptor but not Charlotte, haha.

So the New York Times has a piece on the "placelessness' of the Superbowl and they managed to include this little hurtful gem:

That might explain why, near the media center presented by Microsoft, fans posed in front of a backdrop of Monument Valley. Two visitors, hours apart and without prompting, suggested that Phoenix reminded them of Charlotte. (Retort: Charlotte? But did you see the rock wall?)

They managed to twist the knife again in the last sentence.

Phoenix, gezzus.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/01/sports/football/super-bowl-2015-at-age-xlix-outsize-event-has-no-sense-of-place.html?partner=socialflow&smid=tw-nytimes&_r=0

So the New York Times has a piece on the "placelessness' of the Superbowl and they managed to include this little hurtful gem:

They managed to twist the knife again in the last sentence.

Phoenix, gezzus.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/01/sports/football/super-bowl-2015-at-age-xlix-outsize-event-has-no-sense-of-place.html?partner=socialflow&smid=tw-nytimes&_r=0

Well I didn't really take the comparison to Phoenix as degrading....if they would have compared Charlotte to say...like Boise ID or let's say Jackson MS,,,,then I might be grimacing while reading the article.

I wouldn't compare Phoenix to Charlotte in its "soullessness" aspects, at least. Phoenix is soulless. The suburbs of Scottsdale and Tempe are the only interesting parts. Glendale isn't incredibly exciting, and that's where the stadium is. It's like if the Panther's stadium was where the old Knights stadium was in Fort Mill. Of course they're going to set up a small manufactured city of things to do much like a fair. But it's not like you can go bar hopping before or after the game without having to drive.

Since the Panthers Stadium is downtown, with PLENTY of stuff to do around it, not to mention the extra street activities that would be brought in as part of the Superbowl festivities. Hotels, restaurants, bars, museums, a movie theater, groceries, bowling, etc. are all within walking distance from the stadium. They are not in Glendale, though. Glendale has the Westgate Mall across the street, with a Johnny Rocket's, Chipotle, Yard House, and Buffalo Wild Wings, and that's about it. 

I don't see at all how they could compare either Glendale or downtown Phoenix to Charlotte. Yeah, yeah, I know...Charlotte doesn't have much retail downtown and has lost all the character of the older buildings to make way for shiny skyscrapers, but geez...you can see the tumbleweeds roll down the street in downtown Phoenix after 5 p.m. There is NOTHING to do in downtown Phoenix. No comparison whatsoever.

I just can't believe that there were two people that made that comment. I can get one ignorant person saying something like that, thinking about their trip to Charlotte 20 years ago to the see a game at the old Charlotte Coliseum. But two people?

• Like 2

I may have expressed this before, but I really think Charlotte should embrace the concept the there is no history or established culture here... we can differentiate ourselves from the Phoenixes of the world by being comfortable in the fact that we have all the pieces in place to create a new history and a new culture.  Where else in the world can you do that?

BTW, Here is the perception of Charlotte from Cary's perspective:

http://donfrantz.blogspot.com/2015/02/retreat-2015.html?m=1

• Like 2

I have no idea who the guy is that wrote this, but y'all are just gonna flip at his descriptions of some of our neighborhoods (ex. Dilworth is Charlotte’s oldest streetcar suburb, known for its many rebuilt bungalows (McMansions))

http://globalflare.com/top-10-neighborhoods-charlotte-getting-national-attention/

I have no idea who the guy is that wrote this, but y'all are just gonna flip at his descriptions of some of our neighborhoods (ex. Dilworth is Charlotte’s oldest streetcar suburb, known for its many rebuilt bungalows (McMansions))

http://globalflare.com/top-10-neighborhoods-charlotte-getting-national-attention/

?  Wasn't it?   (I didn't write the article, but seems close enough to me as far as "oldest")

I do not think of Dilworth as being known for rebuilt bungalows or McMansions... maybe South Dilworth.  Teardowns happen in Dilworth but they aren't rampant.  When I think of rampant teardowns and McMansions I think of Queens Rd West.

McMansion implies low quality though, which I don't think are applicable to either neighborhood. Few "mansions" in Dilworth outside of maybe a couple in the Latta Park and Covenant area, and and Myers Park for the most part has real legitimate mansions, not McMansions.