Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

It all boils down to what lifestyle and environment you want. I've had plenty of friends move from here that hated Charlotte and have friends now that have moved here and love it. People always talk about wanting to live in various places with an assumption that everyone wants to live in certain cities like they do. Atlanta, Miami, New York, Seattle, etc. I've been to them all would never want to live in any of them thought I love to visit -- personal, nothing against them at all. Wilmington, Toronto, Asheville, Denver, would love them all. It is just about what the individual wants -- it shouldn't surprise anyone that everyone doesn't like this place.

I agree 100% with you.....its one thing to visit places, but totally different to live there....and depending on what kind of person you are, and how much you can afford, some cities are only worth visiting.....

Why would anyone compare Charlotte with any other city anyway? Who cares. What is wrong with being unique? I have lived most of my life overseas and have spent extended periods of time in many cities around the world. Trust me, Charlotte is a good city. It has good restaurants (very good Indian, my favorite), plays, cost of living, proximity to everything, and international airport, and it is easy to get around. I had no problems having great walks uptown or other parts of the city. It has so many gorgious neighborhoods that you should be proud to show off. I am moving to Charlotte in a few months (the Lake)after an intense search for a city to settle after leaving Florida from which I presently reside. Lake Norman is very nice and close to the city. I have lived in NYC, San Francisco, and Minneapolis. To be honest, the only one that I would even consider besides Charlotte would be Minneapolis and it is too far from the ocean. But that is only my opinion and I do love NYC and San Francisco. Charlotte is a growing city. In my humble opinion, it is as good as any other city and it doesn't matter how it compares. Comparing Charlotte to Louisville, Columbus, or anywhere else is like comparing Boston, Chicago, or New York City with London, they just don't compare. And, Charlotte is known worldwide. It is well known in Europe because of businesses and international airlines. I do believe that someone in Salt Lake City didn't know where Charlotte is, because unfortunately, most Americans know very little about geograpy or related fields of study. It doesn't mean that Charlotte is small, it means that some people are stupid. It seems that many people that live in Charlotte (Locals or other Carolinians) have been led to believe that Charlotte isn't a player in the major leagues, it is. Don't let some disgruntal, nagging transplant convince you otherwise.

I agree! I grew up in Providence, RI. Lived in Phoenix, Tampa, Orlando and, before moving to Charlotte, we lived for 3 years in Cape Town, South Africa. My family and I after leaving Cape Town (one of the world's most beautiful cities) travelled to Austin and Houston. We thought Austin was way over-hyped and that Charlotte was the kind of city we could settle down in.

My wife is very discriminating when it comes to complimenting cities, but she LOVES downtown Charlotte and it's neighborhoods. At first when exploring around I mentioned to my wife that Charlotte was very clean for a large city and some of the neighborhood were some of the best I have ever seen in the country. My children also love it here! We think it's a great place.

As I previously mentioned, I am from New England. Forty miles from Boston. But we much prefer Charlotte than back home.

I agree! I grew up in Providence, RI. Lived in Phoenix, Tampa, Orlando and, before moving to Charlotte, we lived for 3 years in Cape Town, South Africa. My family and I after leaving Cape Town (one of the world's most beautiful cities) travelled to Austin and Houston. We thought Austin was way over-hyped and that Charlotte was the kind of city we could settle down in.

My wife is very discriminating when it comes to complimenting cities, but she LOVES downtown Charlotte and it's neighborhoods. At first when exploring around I mentioned to my wife that Charlotte was very clean for a large city and some of the neighborhood were some of the best I have ever seen in the country. My children also love it here! We think it's a great place.

As I previously mentioned, I am from New England. Forty miles from Boston. But we much prefer Charlotte than back home.

This Charlotte native is thrilled by your comments and thanks you and your wife. Thank you for coming to Charlotte. :)

I agree and LOVE the food and restaurant scene here. What Indian are you referring to? If something new to me i'd be excited to find out which place!

I have had a few great Indian meals. I remember one on Independence Blvd. across from a Brazilian restaurant. I believe it was near Sharon Amity or that area. I believe that Indian restaurant is now sharing the building with the Brazilian restaurant. I also ate at one out on South Boulevard that was really good. I can't tell you where on South Boulevard as I live in Florida and don't get there as much as I would like. Finally, the one on Kings Drive was pretty good as well. The last time I ate at the one on South Boulevard I noticed on the television the same day that it had been shut down for the day by the department of health for not having food hot enough on the buffet. I guess that inspectors don't understand that sometimes the spices kill bacteria. That is what I like to think anyway.

Brianrri, thanks for the words of inspiration. I am moving to the lake area in a few months and it is refreshing to hear positive comments. I have visited Cape Town a couple of times and it is a faublous place. I drank several gallons of Castle Lager there. Additionally, I really like Providence. When I visit my cousin who teaches at Browns University and lives on Browns Ave. (I believe it is Ave.) we eat a Hemmingways on the water. Great place. Good luck to you and your wife.

I have had a few great Indian meals. I remember one on Independence Blvd. across from a Brazilian restaurant. I believe it was near Sharon Amity or that area. I believe that Indian restaurant is now sharing the building with the Brazilian restaurant. I also ate at one out on South Boulevard that was really good. I can't tell you where on South Boulevard as I live in Florida and don't get there as much as I would like. Finally, the one on Kings Drive was pretty good as well. The last time I ate at the one on South Boulevard I noticed on the television the same day that it had been shut down for the day by the department of health for not having food hot enough on the buffet. I guess that inspectors don't understand that sometimes the spices kill bacteria. That is what I like to think anyway.

A couple of excellent Indian places I would like to recommend: Sithul (sp?) is hidden away behind Park Road Shopping Center (behind Sir Edmund Haley's). It's a hole in the wall which makes the food taste better (get past the health concerns, I'm still alive). Sangham is up I-77 in Cornelius near the lake. It is off exit 28, and is visible from the interstate. And finally for a non-traditional Indian food (Indian/gourmet) is Copper on East Blvd. in Dilworth. It's pricey and I don't even consider it to be real Indian food, but it's great if you want a more upscale Indian dinner.

Brianrri, thanks for the words of inspiration. I am moving to the lake area in a few months and it is refreshing to hear positive comments. I have visited Cape Town a couple of times and it is a faublous place. I drank several gallons of Castle Lager there. Additionally, I really like Providence. When I visit my cousin who teaches at Browns University and lives on Browns Ave. (I believe it is Ave.) we eat a Hemmingways on the water. Great place. Good luck to you and your wife.

You are welcome Larryfla, and thanks to all for the welcome! I lived in PVD on and off for about 30 years up until 2000 when we moved to Orlando and then to Cape Town in 2002. Yes Cape town was/is beautiful and I return often. Providence is nice and has come a LOOONG way from what it was when I was a kid but it still has a myriad of problems, especially with it's neighboods. The city poured tremendous amounts of money into the downtown area under Mayor Cianci but they really neglected the neighborhoods. I always thought it was wrong to spice up the guest areas of a home for show (downtown) but neglect the more private areas of the house such as the bedrooms (neighborhoods).

Charlotte though is a very "pretty" place all the way around. Providence has a nice area called the 'east side' but Charlotte has areas just as nice or better but on a much, much larger scale. I'm aware that there are some not so nice areas here but they are still not as bad as most places (I've been to 47 States). Race relations also seem to be good and opportunity seems to be available to all (Btw, I'm African-American). They used to tell us up North that the South is too rascist but we have been treated perfcetly well here by all races.

I am proud to live in Charlotte! I am also glad to have moved here during this time of unprecedented growth in the city. I have always been a fan of urban development and population statistics. I remember when Providence was on a development roll (although on a much smaller scale than that of Charlotte) and I would monitor the city's transformation with great eagerness.

Charlotte has the least amount of things that I dislike in comparison to any other place I've lived. One of my gripes is how littered the freeways can become sometimes. I feel that if they can keep the city interior areas as clean as they do why not the same for the interstates?

I would like to add that when my friends from South Africa and friends/family from up North come down here they are pleasantly surprised at how large a city it is and how beautiful it is. Many want to move here right away. Charlotteans have much to be proud of!

Charlotte has the least amount of things that I dislike in comparison to any other place I've lived. One of my gripes is how littered the freeways can become sometimes. I feel that if they can keep the city interior areas as clean as they do why not the same for the interstates?

I'll ditto that. Charlotte has the worst interstate litter I have seen and I have been to very many mid-size and large cities in the US and abroad. I recently had some guests in from Columbus, OH and Austin, TX. This was their first visit to Charlotte and they really loved it. As we were traveling around on the interstates one of them made the comment "do they every clean the litter here?"....

A couple of excellent Indian places I would like to recommend: Sithul (sp?) is hidden away behind Park Road Shopping Center (behind Sir Edmund Haley's). It's a hole in the wall which makes the food taste better (get past the health concerns, I'm still alive). Sangham is up I-77 in Cornelius near the lake. It is off exit 28, and is visible from the interstate. And finally for a non-traditional Indian food (Indian/gourmet) is Copper on East Blvd. in Dilworth. It's pricey and I don't even consider it to be real Indian food, but it's great if you want a more upscale Indian dinner.

I would recommend Situl too. It is better than Maharani on Kings in my opinion. They have very good dal makhani, and their biryani is more interesting than other places in my opinion. I have never been disappointed with Situl.

Agreed on Copper - definitely worth a trip, but it's more fusion than pure Indian.

^ i'm sorry to keep this off topic but i can't believe what i keep reading... i must have gone into situl indian restuarant on an incredibly off day - because it was hands down the worst indian food i've ever experienced. my co-worker agreed. now, to be fair it was buffet during lunch and hardly anyone was there (which is not a good sign for buffet food)... but it was so bad that i would be hard pressed to go back. i think maharani has the best indian lunch buffet around. also, a little place called bombay off hwy 51.

to reign this thing back in... i think charlotte is on the right track to portraying a favorable perception nationwide. i mean charlotte WILL inevitabley be easily recognized nationwide... that's only a matter of time. my hope for the city is that we continue to progress our transit system and that we start to implement initiatives (perhaps laws) -that promote more sustainable growth.

charlotte is "green" in the sense that we have lots of lush vegetation, we enjoy decently varied seasonal climate.... it is one our greatest assets and we need to really put some momentum behind protecting this. it saddens me to see charlotte's skyline in a brown haze on so many summer days. charlotte has tons of trees, but in my lifetime i've seen it diminish quite a bit... developers cannot be allowed continue to rape our area of trees. this disregard is most rampant in our suburbs.

which brings me to my next point.

i think the way we grow our 'burbs will certianly effect our perception nationwide. currently we are headed in the general direction as atlanta and we all know atlantas perception in this regards. i feel if we mandate regulations that promote "smart" development and abandon the cul de sac model for better connectivity - we could go along way in enhancing our perception.

I'm not sure where to stick this, so I guess this sort of fits (?). I had no idea that Annie Liebovitz and Beyonce were here in July shooting pics for an American Express ad campaign. Neither bothered to call me. I'm not sure if any other heavy-hitters were here, but the caption under this pic refers to Charlotte (,NC for all you out there that are keeping track of that sort of thing).

http://www.charlotte.com/200/story/275033.html

Edited by turbocraig

My parents had to go on a business trip for the first time to Indianapolis recently. They were dreading it and upset that the meeting was not in Chicago and considered the city to be just boring 'flyover" country. They returned very pleasantly surprised. During evening walks they saw that downtown Indy is bursting with new condos and stores interwoven with parks and festivals almost every night. In some ways it reminded them of Charlotte. A newer landlocked city that is still shaping an identity. This comparison has been mentioned before on this board and I am wondering if anyone with greater knowledge of Indianapolis thinks we could learn from their successes and failures in creating a thriving urban core?

I'll ditto that. Charlotte has the worst interstate litter I have seen and I have been to very many mid-size and large cities in the US and abroad. I recently had some guests in from Columbus, OH and Austin, TX. This was their first visit to Charlotte and they really loved it. As we were traveling around on the interstates one of them made the comment "do they every clean the litter here?"....

Interstate litter pickup is the responsibility of the NC Dept. of Transportation. They don't do a very good job of litter cleaning or grass-mowing along interstates in our area, nor can they seem to keep the highways or the overhead road signs lit. It may be Charlotte's problem, but it's not Charlotte's fault. Trust me, we don't like it either!

^As well, but I must add that the Charlotte DoT does a downright pitiful job on many of the cities surface streets. Sure, you can go down Queens, Providence and a handful of others all day long and everything is neat & tidy. Try going down S. Blvd (South of Tyvola to I-485) for example, and you can't help notice miles of litter strewn alongside the road right up against our big ole light rail line. Yeh, that's a nice way to advertise a billion dollar boondoggle!! Also, practically every major intersection suffers from the 4 corner debris fields (gravel, car crash debris, etc) syndrome. And while coming back from the Toyota dealer today I noticed 2 bus stops on Sharon Rd West without trash containers and a mountain of garbage just laying on the ground right under the bus stop sign. Pitiful!! And while I'm at it, any stretch of sidewalk not attached to a residence or business is rarely maintained. One of my co-workers had to call the C DoT twice in a year because her children couldn't even walk the sidewalks home from A.G. Middle School down Runnymede Lane. The weeds were 4-6 feet high! It took them 2 weeks to respond and they did a half-ass job of cutting the weeds. Of course, in typical Charlotte fashion, the litter was also chewed up by the mowers making an even bigger mess which is still visible to this day. Disgusting and downright embarrassing!! Let's face it, we are a great city that suffers from one of the worst maintained road systems in the entire USA and there appears to be no relief in sight, ever!

Speaking of interstate litter....

The Charlotte Observer has done more than one article in the last year about our disgusting interstate litter problem and said that supposedly in May of this year, the company ICA was to take over the litter maintenance of the area interstates. Here we are 4 months later and they look worse than ever. Did something happen? Did the "deal" fall through with ICA. Maybe they took one drive around 485 and skipped town. I really thought we were on the right track for a while but no progress has been made whatsoever.

I apologize for getting on my soapbox here. My rants don't mean I do not love it here in Charlotte. I've been here over 40 years and have seen this sleepy little town explode. It's been fun but it has also been disastrous in other ways. My hope is that one day we will have city leaders that really care about the groundlevel appearance of our city.

Edited by swampfox43

Online article

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...=rss-topstories

discusses housing slumps all over the coutry. They point out that some cities have not been as affected because they didn't jump in values like so many others did. They refer to those as Atlanta, Dallas, and Charlotte, NC...

Still got that NC tag!

• 2 weeks later...

Ken Lewis is on the cover of a Forbes Mag profile of Bank of America. I was excited and proud. From what I can tell I think they used my Kings branch as the main picture in the beginning of the article. The story was interesting until the writer described us as "provincial Charlotte". Compared to New York we are but that would go for most cities in the country. One would think Forbes writers would have more respect for a business town.

Ken Lewis is on the cover of a Forbes Mag profile of Bank of America. I was excited and proud. From what I can tell I think they used my Kings branch as the main picture in the beginning of the article. The story was interesting until the writer described us as "provincial Charlotte". Compared to New York we are but that would go for most cities in the country. One would think Forbes writers would have more respect for a business town.

Forbes has little respect for Charlotte. You can see it in every list they compile (or not, as they trot out some reason for not including Charlotte.) I think those particular New Yorkers are jealous of Charlotte and its banks, as they undoubtedly think every financial institution in the world ought to be hq in Manhattan and certainly not in "provincial" Charlotte.

People everywhere who have little knowledge of places other than where they live are provincial. That goes for Manhattanites, too. I lived and worked there for 6 years and I found significant knowledge and awareness of Charlotte due to its banks and respect, too. I think this is just a case of catty journalism majors trying to score points with their peers in Chelsea.

Forbes has little respect for Charlotte. You can see it in every list they compile (or not, as they trot out some reason for not including Charlotte.) I think those particular New Yorkers are jealous of Charlotte and its banks, as they undoubtedly think every financial institution in the world ought to be hq in Manhattan and certainly not in "provincial" Charlotte.

I tend agree, in fact I would even contend that econ periodicals from London are far kinder to Charlotte than their shoddy NY counterparts. It's not clear whether Forbes intentionally overlooks and underestimates this city or not, but I think calling any city of more than 600,000 "provincial" is clearly demeaning. Still its not much to worry about; even though Forbes has a decent name its articles tend to lack substance. The publication is more into list'o'mania than objectivity, research, or insight . Plus we can consider one famous pink paper, The Financial Times, as a source to the contrary, and in the mind of this periodical fiend the FT trumps Forbes big time.

Might I also mention that Charlotte has recently had a few brief cameos in the NY Times, Pittsburgh Gazette, USA Today (Even if it is one of the worst things in print), and of course The Economist.

Is Charlotte NOT provincial? Yes it has the big banks, but Bentonville, AR has Wal-Mart, so simply having companies HQ'ed there doesn't make it a national city.

That said, I feel that most cities in America are provincial, in that few are beyond regionally important. I would argue that only NYC, Los Angeles, D.C., Chicago, and San Francisco are the only national cities in the country. I think Boston, Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston could be considered national on some levels, but on others, much more locally significant than nationally so.

The terms was probably use with a mildly-negative conotation, but I guess the point is, to much of the nation (especially average joes), Charlotte is no more significant than Salt Lake City, Indianapolis, Portland, Pittsburgh, or San Antonio, which is to say, that while there is national name recognition, they are seen as a secondary regional city.

• 2 weeks later...