Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

I think you are probably right... McMansion can go a lot of different ways though. There are McMansions on Queens Rd West thtat are not poor quality, but are poorly suited for the lot size, and/or built with higher regard for size than aesthetic.

Edited by archiham04

Ha-ha, I came here looking for this.  A pretty glowing report, if you ask me.  A little surprised to see the AJC even considering us competition though.  But very glad we are starting to put out that vibe.

From the AJ article: " Charlotte’s long-running effort to nurture its Uptown-downtown has been crucial, said Ned Curran, chair of the state’s board of transportation and CEO of the Bissell Cos., one of Charlotte’s premier real estate companies."

That's pretty ironic. But, then again when you have a developer running your road system it's a pretty topsy-turvy world anyway.

The only problem I have with the AJC article is the advantage of rail access. While it would certainly be nice, CLT is within 30 minutes or less of all major population & employment centers in the region .

They should point out that their transit system is mostly used by people looking to get to and from the airport. When a heavy rail system operates for those who are choice riders to the airports and other captive riders, it isn't a good mix for perception or for profitability.

Additionally, I would argue that it is worthless when train intervals are upwards of 20 minutes! You spend as much time waiting for the train as you do in service. Charlotte would be wise to take this lesson very seriously and take full advantage of automation and smaller cars to decrease train intervals and maximize those who want to use the train.

/MARTArant

The “Peachoid” sits high above Interstate 85 in Gaffney, S.C., and brightens the lonely four-hour stretch between Atlanta and Charlotte for tens of thousands of drivers a day.

from a WSJ article on the Peachoid. Good to know we are more noteworthy than Greenville and Spartanburg.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/south-carolina-landmark-sometimes-the-butt-of-jokes-is-ripe-for-renewal-1424396646?mod=WSJ_hp_EditorsPicks

from a WSJ article on the Peachoid. Good to know we are more noteworthy than Greenville and Spartanburg.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/south-carolina-landmark-sometimes-the-butt-of-jokes-is-ripe-for-renewal-1424396646?mod=WSJ_hp_EditorsPicks

I hardly notice the peachoid since they built that FATZ cafe.

Really, South Carolina? You're known as an obese state and you allow a FATZ to open up next to the only icon in the Upstate? It is just as prominent in the photo as the peach in the article! 

• Like 1

Really, South Carolina? You're known as an obese state and you allow a FATZ to open up next to the only icon in the Upstate? It is just as prominent in the photo as the peach in the article!

Could be worse. It could have been an adult movie store... SC is not too heavy on regulation.

You're kidding about the FATZ and fat, aren't you ?

I'm confused. How does that imply that Charlotte is more noteworthy than GSP?

I think they are inferring that since the peach is mentioned as in between Atlanta and Charlotte as opposed to say "next to Spartanburg/Greenville", essentially pointing out that the laymen would better be able to geographically locate this peach using Charlotte as a moniker.

I think they are inferring that since the peach is mentioned as in between Atlanta and Charlotte as opposed to say "next to Spartanburg/Greenville", essentially pointing out that the laymen would better be able to geographically locate this peach using Charlotte as a moniker.

OK, that makes sense. I didn't think of it that way. I thought he was trying to say they could have used GSP instead of Charlotte in the sentence and that wouldn't work because it isn't between GSP and Atlanta.

^ I saw that and thought it was interesting. But I can't really see where this intown job growth has occurred since 2007.

There have been no new office buildings uptown and BoA has certainly slimmed down. Is the study BS, or am I missing something?

EDIT: OK, maybe. 2.5% annual growth from 2007-2011 suggests the addition of something like 4000 jobs in the "city center." -- Per year. I guess I can see that happening. I am more surprised by an actual decline in suburban jobs, particularly given construction in Bollywood.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

Shots were fired at label tonight at a CIAA party (again). CIAA weekend...ugh. I swear there are more cops uptown this weekend than during the DNC.

Now I know this event has an "economic impact" but every year it seems like it's more trouble than it's worth. And it's only getting worse, it'll be interesting when the HQ comes here

Edited by Jayvee

Shots were fired at label tonight at a CIAA party (again). CIAA weekend...ugh. I swear there are more cops uptown this weekend than during the DNC.

Now I know this event has an "economic impact" but every year it seems like it's more trouble than it's worth. And it's only getting worse, it'll be interesting when the HQ comes here

You can't be serious.

This is a massive event. There were probably 50,000 more people in uptown than usual, filling hotels, restaurants, bars ect. Renting cars, flying in from all over the country. The economic impact is substantial. Given that I've been going into uptown for CIAA for the past 5 years, this was by far the biggest crowds I've seen.

I was uptown last night (not at the music factory) and it was absolutely safe and fine.

We live in a city with 800,000+ people. There is basically a daily shooting in this city as is, like any large American city.

During this massive event ONE person decided to be an idiot and you're ready to send the whole thing away?!  There was a shooting in Kannapolis yesterday as well, including a 13 hour standoff.  Oddly enough, there aren't any facebook posts about that, decrying the standoff.  But plenty of CIAA commentary from people that gladly say "oh I stay away from Uptown THAT weekend for sure".  

Edit:

The 2012 CIAA had a $50.5 million economic impact on the city and 197,000 people attended the event.

Edited by ah59396
  • Like 4

You can't be serious.

This is a massive event. There were probably 50,000 more people in uptown than usual, filling hotels, restaurants, bars ect. Renting cars, flying in from all over the country. The economic impact is substantial. Given that I've been going into uptown for CIAA for the past 5 years, this was by far the biggest crowds I've seen.

I was uptown last night (not at the music factory) and it was absolutely safe and fine.

We live in a city with 800,000+ people. There is basically a daily shooting in this city as is, like any large American city.

During this massive event ONE person decided to be an idiot and you're ready to send the whole thing away?! There was a shooting in Kannapolis yesterday as well, including a 13 hour standoff. Oddly enough, there aren't any facebook posts about that, decrying the standoff. But plenty of CIAA commentary from people that gladly say "oh I stay away from Uptown THAT weekend for sure".

Edit:

The 2012 CIAA had a $50.5 million economic impact on the city and 197,000 people attended the event.

Maybe we should remove The benches during CIAA :D

We can use them as barricades blocking of certain alleys and clubs around town.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

Most people who attend the CIAA are there to have a good time. I've been attending the event for over 20 yrs. A couple of incidents don't detract from the event when you think.of how many people are Uptown to attend various functions

I agree. All the bars and restaurants were packed. The games were fun. People were nice. It's the first time since I've lived here that uptown felt like a city. So for sure, let's cancel it. Not sure why the police felt the need to bring in their "mobile oppression unit". Now that thing is scary. ;-)

BTW, the only time since I've lived here I felt it was dangerous was all the mad drunks running around after the Panthers playoff loss. So first I think we should shut down football.

Edited by elrodvt