Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

Had Charlotte passed this ordinance, it'd have end up in the courts like Houston, and Houston has an openly lesbian mayor.  I can see the right arguing over religious freedom, and it should be in their rights to deny anyone service or business if those individuals don't conform to their moral beliefs. 

Had Charlotte passed this ordinance, it'd have end up in the courts like Houston, and Houston has an openly lesbian mayor.  I can see the right arguing over religious freedom, and it should be in their rights to deny anyone service or business if those individuals don't conform to their moral beliefs. 

I think we better stop this discussion now? ;-)

Perhaps, but Bessemer City, Greensboro, Chapel Hill, Carrboro, Durham, Raleigh, and Winston-Salem already passed such laws. With little or no resistance.

The ordinances that these cities have are the same ones that Charlotte already has.

I'm curious what your source is as ever source I've seen includes Charlotte in the list of cities that you mentioned.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

On a lighter note, Charlotte's urban growth got a shout-out in USA Today.

good find, I hope the reverse donut is indeed a long term trend. They don't discuss transportation but that's got to feed into it once gas goes back to "normal" - including funding our roads. Maybe that's all wrapped into the desire for "walkable neighborhoods".

Jacksonville Fla. newspaper has done some articles on the Lynx Blue line. This one in 2007

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2007-sep-im-smaller-than-jax-and-i-have-rail-charlotte

I find it very interesting that Charlotte has surpassed Jacksonville by leaps and bounds since this article was written, with a much higher density and urban population, someone should revisit this article to boast about the benefits of mass transit.

Hate to be honest... but it's likely due to events that happened last year during the CIAA. The crowd was rowdy borderline violent. Lobby furniture was broken and tips were minimal. 

The Punch Room was closed for the weekend.

True or not, the folks at the RC should have known better than to actually put the words "CIAA

Svc Chg" on a check.  A simple "15% SVC CHG" would have been sufficient and would have likely not ruffled any feathers.  Talk about a dumb move on the hotel's part.

• Like 4

True or not, the folks at the RC should have known better than to actually put the words "CIAA

Svc Chg" on a check.  A simple "15% SVC CHG" would have been sufficient and would have likely not ruffled any feathers.  Talk about a dumb move on the hotel's part.

You have an excellent point. I actually applaud them for making the move to ensure their waitstaff gets tips (I worked as a waiter in college and the cliche is true from my personal experience). But, they could have and should have implemented this in a much better way. They also could have made sure it was clear it was an added gratuity (so people would know they didn't HAVE to leave an additional tip).

But, too many establishments are too quick to talk about the economic benefit of these types of events. What they don't really care about is their servers don't share in the windfall. Nice to see RC making an effort to address that. With all that said...I'm glad the CIAA is here as I would be any large event. I would say most of these service oriented businesses should think about adding a tip anytime any event like this is in town (Speed Street, ACC, Bowl Games, etc).

I guess this is the right place to put this...

So, I was driving down East Blvd. today and I passed about 5 feet away from Guy Fieri. He had his whole filming crew and his classic red convertible (I'm not a classic car guy, so not sure what is was). The only thing was...he wasn't in front of a restaurant, and I can't think of any diners, drive-ins, or dives around that spot. I am curious to figure out what he is doing here. It was in between Paper Skyscraper and the Greek Orthodox Church on a corner. My guess is that he was just doing an intro shot and then going to the MayoBird. Anyway, if you see Triple-D episode on Food Network taking place in Charlotte and see a guy in a white Mercedes staring to the right while he passes by Guy Fieri, that's me. I'm not a fan of him as a TV personality, but I do love his show (well, that one anyway). As a frequent traveler, I always look to it for ideas of where to get some good grub when I'm on the road.

Yeah I've seen on Twitter a few Guy Fieri spottings around town, like at Nikko the other night.  Not sure how the show works but it seems like it'd be a one day shoot at a restaurant then any thing else they do around town.  I think Guy kind of likes our restaurants.  He's been to quite a few in Charlotte on DDD and he featured BBQ King on a "Best I Ever Ate" episode.

Ugh this is annoying, it's cool and all that we are on the Monopoly board, but they use SUCH an old picture. Is it really that hard to get a picture thats within the last 5 years?

I would like to note though that NC is one of TWO states to get multiple cities :)

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2015/03/20/move-over-vermont-avenue-hello-queen-city.html

Edited by Jayvee