Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

The new host after Letterman of the Late Late Show, the guy from UK, was rapping something with Mariah and was naming off cities "in the house". New York are you in the house, Sacramento are you in the house. Charlotte (No NC) are you in the house, Atlanta Georgia are you in the house. He named a few others. 

:lol:  Not a big deal at all, I was just doing work and had it on as background noise and the word Charlotte pierced my attention.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This past weekend I was in NYC with the family and was riding the R train back to Manhattan from Brooklyn (after lunch at an excellent craft beer and sandwich joint in Park Slope recommended by a distinguished UP'er). During the train ride I was eavesdropping on a couple of non-hipster, mid-20s, African American guys on the train, judging from their accents they were native New Yawkers. Their discussion was something like this (I couldn't hear it all due to train noise): 

Guy 1: blah blah, Atlanta...

Guy 2: Have you been to Charlotte yet? Its hot! [the good kind] and way easier to get around than Atlanta. Lots of jobs. They call their downtown 'uptown', but its like our downtown but really clean. It has great clubs and there is tons to do [some stuff about getting out of the city]. [some other stuff about cheap real estate]   I am thinking about moving down there.

Guy 1: Cool, I'll check it out.

I never expected to hear the classic Chamber of Commerce pitch on a subway in Brooklyn. I was surprised and amused.

• Like 4

This past weekend I was in NYC with the family and was riding the R train back to Manhattan from Brooklyn (after lunch at an excellent craft beer and sandwich joint in Park Slope recommended by a distinguished UP'er). During the train ride I was eavesdropping on a couple of non-hipster, mid-20s, African American guys on the train, judging from their accents they were native New Yawkers. Their discussion was something like this (I couldn't hear it all due to train noise): 

I never expected to hear the classic Chamber of Commerce pitch on a subway in Brooklyn. I was surprised and amused.

lol, i was at bierkraft this weekend, wonder if i saw you... lol

lol, i was at bierkraft this weekend, wonder if i saw you... lol

if you did you would have noticed my daughter eating an 'artisan' ice cream sandwich which cost considerably more than my beer. 

As an aside I was SHOCKED to see much of my wardrobe from the 1980s for sale in a hipster thrift store in Dumbo. Denim overalls were going for $400, Members Only jackets (I never owned one!) were $70.  WTF?

• Like 1

Sounds like Ricky Davis has been standing on the street corners passing out flyers and screaming at passersby about Charlotte again.

• Like 3

Charlotte ranks among the top 10 housing markets for the spring: http://www.bizjournals.com/prnewswire/press_releases/2015/04/15/PH80453

Had to laugh at the article a little though... Anyone know where Raleigh, VA is located?

Wow. I mean, I can see the Charlotte/Charlottesville/Charleston SC/Charleston WV argument for not getting the state right. I hate it, but at least the names sound similar. "Raleigh, VA" is just an embarrassment to this publication. I mean, we all know these lists hold are the main reason that these cities prosper, right? If you don't make the top 10 in the "best cities to relocate to if you a millennial single male IT professional with a masters degree who owns a dog and likes nightlife and walkability but also needs a car" rankings, then your city must be the next Detroit, right?

Not really nationwide... but... here it goes anyways.

http://www.charlotteagenda.com/2364/6-things-that-amazed-me-about-charlotte-from-a-northerner-who-knows/

Sort of reeks of someone who has never left the confines of Dilworth, SouthPark, Myers Park, Elizabeth, Uptown, Plaza Midwood and Noda. I'd like to weigh in...

1. Agree, its sort of absurd how clean the streets are.

2. I'd still say our alcohol laws are pretty outrageous. Whenever I walk into an ABC store in Charlotte, all I see is Tired Out Big Name Liquor Brands that I am too snotty to purchase anymore. Yes beer is everywhere you can imagine and thats great, but we still have to purchase Liquor at State Owned ABC stores, just like PA, and those stores do not sell beer or wine. In Georgia I used to buy anything I wanted at the liquor Store, Beer, Wine, Liquor. 

3. I guess so... Everytime I go there I do notice more and more people that are in shape, and less people that are morbidly obese, but honestly thats a part of living in the center city area.

4.  HAHAHA, I guess that needed to be said? I guess this one just amused me because I live in a city with a higher concentration of People of Jewish Descent than Isreal, and work for a Jewish company.

5. Wish I could sit her down and give her the full story (She's kind of cute, just saying)

6. Clearly she's never been in the Charlotte Suburbs, they aren't ALL in cute houses... Just in Dilworth.

Not really nationwide... but... here it goes anyways.

http://www.charlotteagenda.com/2364/6-things-that-amazed-me-about-charlotte-from-a-northerner-who-knows/

Sort of reeks of someone who has never left the confines of Dilworth, SouthPark, Myers Park, Elizabeth, Uptown, Plaza Midwood and Noda. I'd like to weigh in...

1. Agree, its sort of absurd how clean the streets are.

2. I'd still say our alcohol laws are pretty outrageous. Whenever I walk into an ABC store in Charlotte, all I see is Tired Out Big Name Liquor Brands that I am too snotty to purchase anymore. Yes beer is everywhere you can imagine and thats great, but we still have to purchase Liquor at State Owned ABC stores, just like PA, and those stores do not sell beer or wine. In Georgia I used to buy anything I wanted at the liquor Store, Beer, Wine, Liquor. 

3. I guess so... Everytime I go there I do notice more and more people that are in shape, and less people that are morbidly obese, but honestly thats a part of living in the center city area.

4.  HAHAHA, I guess that needed to be said? I guess this one just amused me because I live in a city with a higher concentration of People of Jewish Descent than Isreal, and work for a Jewish company.

5. Wish I could sit her down and give her the full story (She's kind of cute, just saying)

6. Clearly she's never been in the Charlotte Suburbs, they aren't ALL in cute houses... Just in Dilworth.

I grew up a little over an hour west of Lancaster, PA, so I can agree with #4 (I think I only knew 1 person who was Jewish).  As far as #6, I've seen many businesses in houses up in PA.

Friend from high school in Indiana moved to Philly for college and never left. He is Philly guy now. Came to visit me and we went to Hornets game. Where are the little extortionists that you pay to "watch" your car? Umm, not necessary, I said. On way home I stopped for gas and while in convenience store he noticed a pay phone outside store. When I returned he mentioned it and added, most astounding of all, there is a PHONE BOOK hangin there! Last day we went uptown to stroll and he said "I gotta get out of here. Your train cars (light rail) have no graffitti, and what's this? HONOR PARKING? Oh! My GOD! HONOR PARKING!

• Like 1

FWIW my best friend is from Philly and now lives in South End. He says he'd never move back now, despite all the family and friends he still has there. It reminds me of all the kids I grew up with around here who's northern families would talk about this area like a well-kept secret when bringing visitors down.

Friend from high school in Indiana moved to Philly for college and never left. He is Philly guy now. Came to visit me and we went to Hornets game. Where are the little extortionists that you pay to "watch" your car? Umm, not necessary, I said. On way home I stopped for gas and while in convenience store he noticed a pay phone outside store. When I returned he mentioned it and added, most astounding of all, there is a PHONE BOOK hangin there! Last day we went uptown to stroll and he said "I gotta get out of here. Your train cars (light rail) have no graffitti, and what's this? HONOR PARKING? Oh! My GOD! HONOR PARKING!

Lol, that sounds kind of silly. So Lynx has no Graffiti and that's a reason to head for the hills? And also a phone booth with a phone book? Lol. If he liked graffiti... Why wouldn't he appreciate an old telephone booth with a phone book?

• 3 weeks later...