Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

37 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

How would one of you explain this issue as though they were talking to a 70 year old man that desperately wants to understand the ramifications. Could someone write an educated, levelheaded response, that I can send my dad? Frankly I'm too tired, hung over, and under the weather (not a good combination) to have any patience for my father. 

Please help, before he talks to the only gay friend he has about the situation, and ruins a friendship. LOL.

Salon just posted a good article. There’s no way the governor’s backward measures legalizing discrimination against LGBTQ individuals can stand

I don't know if that's what you're looking for...

10 minutes ago, Piedmont767 said:

Surely all this attention has shown that Charlotte is a forward-thinking city that cares about being a modern 21st century city that prohibits discrimination, but we have been held back by the state and thats not our fault. Anyone else think that?

Yeah. And even more importantly, when we look back on this, this may be the tipping point that marks the beginning of a long-term shift in our state's politics. Demographic trends are already on that side, but it's just a matter of time until people pay more attention. Independent redistricting will be a majorly important part of that puzzle, however.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 4

Wait, are we just going to ignore that the mayor of San Francisco literally just said that publicly paid employees are not allowed to travel to NC except for emergencies. Talk about overreacting. It's one thing to denounce it but that's a little crazy.

4 hours ago, Nick2 said:

Wait, are we just going to ignore that the mayor of San Francisco literally just said that publicly paid employees are not allowed to travel to NC except for emergencies. Talk about overreacting. It's one thing to denounce it but that's a little crazy.

Why shouldn't the Mayor of a city have a say in how the city's money is spent? This is nothing more a boycott, which is the same thing that started the modern Civil rights movement in 1955.  

• Like 1

Cause it's not the city's money being spent, it's the employee's money. Everybody has their right to boycott, but you can't force others to boycott as well. My reason for saying this is some people there have family here. You can't dictate how people live their lives outside of work, granted that it's not illegal. While what's being done in this state isn't popular (or possibly even legal), this is a bit far. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Miesian Corners said:

The mayor of San Francisco is mandating that no city employees travel to NC for official CITY business. He said nothing about what employees of the City of San Francisco may do on their own time with their own money. 

Dale, are you saying an employer should be able to fire an employee because they're black or Presbyterian or male or because they have blonde hair...? If not, please enlighten me (the 'authoritarian').

That is correct. Because I am not an authoritarian. I would never presume to dictate to a business owner whom to hire and whom to fire. I advocate for liberty.

1 hour ago, Dale said:

That is correct. Because I am not an authoritarian. I would never presume to dictate to a business owner whom to hire and whom to fire. I advocate for liberty.

Yes. The liberty to not have access to the same goods and services because of your skin color, your gender, what you do in your bedroom, or what you believe in.

• Like 4

Liberty is a dubious term right now. I once went through a Rand-ian objectivist phase and thought that pure unfettered liberty was the only way to truly guarantee world equality, but then I realized how many different ways "liberty" has been co-opted by those who, at best, invoke it when they don't want to think about anyone else in this world but themselves, and at worst, were just... yknow, not nice people.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Dale said:

So in essence you are in agreement with doing away with the silly I-9 and E-verify system that is mandated by both the Federal and State governments in hiring in virtually any organization (which I personally don't have a problem with myself)

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 10:26 AM, Miesian Corners said:

The mayor of San Francisco is mandating that no city employees travel to NC for official CITY business. He said nothing about what employees of the City of San Francisco may do on their own time with their own money. 

Dale, are you saying an employer should be able to fire an employee because they're black or Presbyterian or male or because they have blonde hair...? If not, please enlighten me (the 'authoritarian').

Why would an employer fire an employee because of being black, etc. after they were hired? An employer shouldn't be afraid of consequences of firing the type person you mentioned if they are performing satisfactorily,

I know that I am likely older than most and been around more. I am a male, middle aged, white, and straight.  I spent 25 years in the armed forces and retired as a field grade officer. I had a master's degree upon retirement and went to the board of education (in Florida) to see what would be required to become certified. I took a few courses and became certified in geography and history. At the same time, I substitute taught so I could get my foot in the door. During that time, I applied for several teaching positions to find out that if you are over 40 and married, chances were slim especially if there was a female principal. They preferred younger, cuter, and single. I understood.

I applied for a position at a correction facility which I thought would be a simple task but I was beaten out by a black Hispanic woman without  certification (just the promise that she would complete her education) and her only experience being handing out samples at Walmart's, Costco, etc.

The principal at the school where I had been substituting called me to inform me that an opening was coming up and he wanted to get me on his team. I got an interview. During the interview, he said that he was very sad to tell me that he could not hire me. A black woman applicant wanted the job. He had not met her but was phoned by the school board and told that she had preference although she also was not yet certified and had not experience.

Bottom line, I believe that people should be able to hire whomever they feel are most productive and qualified for a job before anything else. I know that people have been discriminated against for various reasons but the bottom line is that a company wants to be successful and make money or in the case of schools, have the best instructor. I experienced discrimination since I retired but I was stuck with being white and middle aged. I feel that this bill will complement the sort of unfairness I have witnessed and nobody will be accountable. Nobody should be discriminated against if they fill the general requirements of an employer including mannerisms, dress, communication skills, and ability to play with others.

I know that I will likely get criticism, but this bill will make it difficult to hire the best for the job and in the end, guys like myself will get screwed. I worked with the Department of Defense several years as a top executive and hired hundreds of individuals. All I wanted was the best for the job. I believe that people like me feel the same way and it is concerning that this a law has to be installed that will likely end up being a tool for discrimination itself.

I ended up getting a job teaching and after 8 years at two schools, I was asked to be the assistant principal. I refused as I had plans to retire and move back home to the Charlotte area. I took a short retirement after 12 years with plans of teaching in the area until I got here and said, "I don't think so."  That was when Purdue was governor and hundreds were being laid off and things really screwed up. Now, I'm good volunteering, etc.

I am not concerned about the bathroom part of the bill, but I do believe that it should go to a vote. This is America and we all are not required to feel the same about issues. calling others names for having opposing views is not an intelligible move. I think the mayors of San Francisco and the other cities need to keep away and mind their own business. For god's sake San Francisco harbors criminals that are here illegally. It is to bad this has even become a current event with all the other things going on.

Edited by caterpillar2
add a sentence.