Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

19 minutes ago, Nashtitans said:

I agree. Charlotte (the whole state basically) has been taking L's. Everytime i hear about charlotte it's bad. You guys have no brand as a city. I can't name one thing charlotte is known for besides banks, and that's nothing special. This doesn't look good for companies looking to relocate.

No shade, I like Charlotte. Nice city.

Great post.  Definitely doesn't come off as shade.  Great timing too! /s

4 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

Great post.  Definitely doesn't come off as shade.  Great timing too! /s

Just being honest dude no shade. Shade would be if I was saying stuff like "damn charlote f*cking sucks you guys lost your all-star game, almost all your sports teams lost in the final game, its not fun, the rent sucks blah blah..."

There's bad stuff bout every city man. Didn't mean to come off like that.

9 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Let me tell you what is happening tonight on national tv is far more damaging to the Charlotte convention and visitors business than anything else this year 

As a Charlotte native I am unbelievably upset by this riot and actions of group of thugs

It's truly heartbreaking. It's lunacy. We are so screwed. 

18 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Let me tell you what is happening tonight on national tv is far more damaging to the Charlotte convention and visitors business than anything else this year 

As a Charlotte native I am unbelievably upset by this riot and actions of group of thugs

That's what I'm trying to say but this dude said I'm throwing shade SMH. Charlotte is already known for getting its all-star game taken cause of that trans bill, now this. Does not look good at all for the city, even the state

Police chief confirmed a handgun recovered at the scene and no book to be found.  Picture of what appears to be a handgun beside the victim also surfaced. Multiple cops on scene all confirm that the guy had a gun.  

The officer is black.  He followed in his fathers footsteps who was also a police officer with CMPD.  He graduated from college in 2012 with a degree in Criminal Justice and played football while he was there.

Yep sounds just like another instance of race-motivated police brutality against an innocent man perpetuated by some uneducated, ignorant, racist cop who, had it not been for the police force (because you know they let anyone on the force these days), would be unable to hold down a job...Oh wait.<_<

These violent protests are so necessary these days.  You just gotta get your point across no matter how much the [early] facts of the case may counter what you have to say.  Never let the truth get in the way of a good riot./sarcasm

• Like 4

Although I think the entire state of North Carolina has suffered a serious black eye this year that will reverberate for at least years, I think Charlotte has definitely suffered the worst longterm damage. I think Raleigh-Durham may actually benefit as prospective transplants and businesses that are scared off by Charlotte's negative consider Raleigh-Durham as a more harmonious, progressive alternative .

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DCMetroRaleigh said:

Although I think the entire state of North Carolina has suffered a serious black eye this year that will reverberate for at least years, I think Charlotte has definitely suffered the worst longterm damage. I think Raleigh-Durham may actually benefit as prospective transplants and businesses that are scared off by Charlotte's negative consider Raleigh-Durham as a more harmonious, progressive alternative .

I agree as much as this Charlotte native hates to say it and I think growth will spread way outside of Charlotte even more so to surrounding counties this includes residents and businesses. Law and order is something all cities needs and evidently for the last 2 nights Charlotte does not have it. 

However I would caution this kind of unrest can bubble up anywhere these days in a city the size of Raleigh or Nashville etc. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

I don't think it will be that damaging in the long run. Seattle had those crazy riots a few years back and they haven't been hurt by it. The police are being very restrained too. They could be marching down the street, being more confrontational, and arresting a lot more people but they aren't. 

• Thanks 1

That is true about Seattle and they have had great job growth. However in our peer cities it may make a difference. But like I said this could bubble up tomorrow somewhere else in the southeast or anywhere. Anyway you cut it it is bad for Charlotte and over time it will heal and be mostly forgotten.  I can't express how sad, mad, upset I am about this as a Charlotte native who loves this city and state. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I agree as much as this Charlotte native hates to say it and I think growth will spread way outside of Charlotte even more so to surrounding counties this includes residents and businesses. Law and order is something all cities needs and evidently for the last 2 nights Charlotte does not have it. 

However I would caution this kind of unrest can bubble up anywhere these days in a city the size of Raleigh or Nashville etc. 

Eh, that is knee jerk overstatement. LA Riots were infinitely worse, Chicago is the murder capital of the world, I know those are 2 gigantic cities but the point stands that law and order can fall apart at any city at any given time. Chicago hasn't had law and order for years. Charlotte was just terribly unlucky that this happened here. Could have been in any city in America. 

• Like 1

5 cops were killed in the Dallas riot in early July and I've barely heard that mentioned since. That's much worse than what we've seen tonight (...knock on wood)

1 minute ago, R.Talbott said:

Well, they're idiots.

I wouldn't call them idiots, it's just fear, which is totally justifiable. Everyone will need a cooling off period after tonight.

• Like 4

Well with  many of the millenials renting and not owning it is easy to move elsewhere maybe to the suburbs maybe out of the market. Detroit took 40 plus years to recover from its riots which of course were worse but this is a smaller city. NO one thought something like this could happen here in Charlotte so yes I think it could affect people's choice of where they live. 

Mind  you I don't want that to happen but it to say it will not is probably not true. I know how people think about where they live believe me. This riot has been the worse thing to happen to Charlotte since Hurricane Hugo hit and yes that was on this very day I think 27 years ago. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Nashtitans said:

People on my twitter already talking about moving out of charlotte :tw_frown:

Based on what posts of yours I've read, I think Charlotte would be better off if anyone you know on Twitter does move out of Charlotte. I have a feeling I've seen a few of them on TV tonight.

Sending much love to Charlotte.  You know, I thought it was great that Charlotte (my old home town) was in the news so much. I'm talking all the positive stuff, not this or HB2. Now, I just can't watch anymore of this today.  "Good night and good luck"

Edited by nashbill
  • Like 1