Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

16 hours ago, elrodvt said:

Which generality was incorrect?

Well first the Jonathan Ferrell situation is the most glaring....if an individual who reads it with out the true background, he/she would assume that the police shot an black man who just had a accident....the reality is far from the truth.   The glaring pockets of poverty statement but fail to also counter with Charlotte being ranked as one of the best cities for black people...

• Like 1

The ACC Championship is moving to Orlando officially this year, at Camping World Stadium. Capacity is 65,000 during football games and it is located west of their downtown. Location wise this is further from most of the ACC member schools, but they picked a popular tourist destination with a ton of hotels that could accommodate the ACC last minute. Many families can combine the weekend with trips to Disney World. 

If attendance is good, I would be concerned the ACC decides to stick with Orlando and not come back to Charlotte even if HB2 is repealed. Poor weather has put a damper on some of the recent ACC games in Charlotte. Orlando enjoys a historical average of 72 degrees on December 5th, Charlotte's average is 56. 

Edited by CLT2014

The Big question is will the attendance be good for the ACC game in Orlando. With Charlotte being so centrally located and easily to drive to from GA Tech, Clemson, UVA, VA Tech,UNC, Duke, Wake, NCSU it remains to be seen. Last time the games in Jacksonville albeit a different city but still warmer than Charlotte the attendance was terrible. I do think this game will be back in town. A family with kids could drive to Charlotte and be back for school on Monday but no so with Orlando unless you fly.  They better hope for a Florida team playing! 

• Like 1

Note:the ACC moved its championship to a state Florida which does not address, by law', discrimination based on gender identity or sexual orientation and which segregates bathrooms based on gender. Maybe the ACC was after some low-cost virtue-signaling and was hoping that no one noticed ?

38 minutes ago, Dale said:

Note:the ACC moved its championship to a state Florida which does not address, by law', discrimination based on gender identity or sexual orientation and which segregates bathrooms based on gender. Maybe the ACC was after some low-cost virtue-signaling and was hoping that no one noticed ?

The city of Orlando and Orange County have full LGB & T discrimination protection in the public and private sector. And their state didn't ban it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dale said:

What city hasn't ?

I'm not sure what you're asking. I was saying that ACC moved to a city and county that has the protections that North Carolina prohibited Charlotte from having via HB2. Many municipalities in Florida have those protections in place. While the state of Florida does not have it on their own books, they also didn't take the step of banning their municipalities from making that decision.

• Like 1

Maybe I'm the one who's confused. How does HB2 ban any company or individual from according LGBT any accommodation or privilege they desire ? And indeed, it is my understanding that McCrory walked back early any provision that would have prevented LGBT from seeking legal recourse given discrimination.

8 hours ago, Dale said:

Maybe I'm the one who's confused. How does HB2 ban any company or individual from according LGBT any accommodation or privilege they desire ? And indeed, it is my understanding that McCrory walked back early any provision that would have prevented LGBT from seeking legal recourse given discrimination.

HB2 said nothing about what private companies should (or should not) do. However HB2 eliminated the ability of all NC municipalities to create protections against discrimination based on sexual preference or gender identity. It is this overt prohibition of legal protections against discrimination by the state that has caused events to move out of NC. This prohibition is what causes most people to say that the state has imstitutionalized discrimination.

As Toz said above Orlando has municipal protections against LGBTQ discrimination and the state of Florida is fine with that local policy.

Edited by kermit

6 minutes ago, kermit said:

HB2 said nothing about what private companies should (or should not) do. However HB2 stripped the ability of all NC municipalities to create protections against discrimination based on sexual preference or gender identity . It is this absence of legal protection against discrimination (many call HB2 institutionalized discrimination) that has caused events to move out of NC.

As Toz said above Orlando has municipal protections against LGBTQ discrimination.

McCrory caved quickly on that count. See: Executive Order No. 93

7 minutes ago, Dale said:

McCrory caved quickly on that count. See: Executive Order No. 93

Nope, Pat's executive order was almost entirely meaningless for a long list of reasons:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2016/04/18/north-carolina-governors-misleading-claim-about-his-executive-order-and-the-lgbt-law/

The Brookings Institute has released a report on Global cities, which includes Charlotte in the category of "American Middleweights".  We are among some solid company and the data provided in the PDF, (page 33) supports our position.  I was unaware of our power equipment prowess, although I suppose I never really thought about it.\

https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/metro_20160928_gcitypes.pdf

“American Middleweights have a base of educated workers, research universities and hospitals, and tradable clusters. Aligning these assets to improve export competitiveness through coordinated economic strategies will be critical if these metros are to compete in global markets.”

^This is pretty much Charlotte dead on.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

As a person who despises our current governor and legislator and truly do think what they push makes them scum... Cooper just had a horrible debate. God I hope no one watched.  

Pat mopped the floor with him in my opinion.  Why Cooper could not articulate anything is beyond me when so much legitimate harm being done across the spectrum for the last 4 years. For god sake HB2's pure evil is not in the 'bathroom' portion of it. Got to get off the talking point.

Edited by navigator319

7 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

As a person who despises our current governor and legislator and truly do think what they push makes them scum... Cooper just had a horrible debate. God I hope no one watched.  

Pat mopped the floor with him in my opinion.  Why Cooper could not articulate anything is beyond me when so much legitimate harm being done across the spectrum for the last 4 years. For god sake HB2's pure evil is not in the 'bathroom' portion of it. Got to get off the talking point.

He did that bad? I support Cooper but I didn't watch it. Honestly, I wasn't even aware of the debate. I hope this doesn't impact Cooper's poll numbers. Is he still leading McCrory?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

Missed it too. Which may be a good indicator of how many watched since I'm a bit of a political junkie. 

Hopefully McCory and Burr cannot overcome the Trump drag. 

10 minutes ago, NCMike1990 said:

He did that bad? I support Cooper but I didn't watch it. Honestly, I wasn't even aware of the debate. I hope this doesn't impact Cooper's poll numbers. Is he still leading McCrory?

The latest polls have Cooper leading by  an average of around 4 to 5 points. Some are as low as him having a 2 point lead while one has him up by 7.

• Like 1

I watched the debate and it was really good. Real issues dealt with and first up HB2, education, jobs in the state, teacher pay, SBI crime lab. They will probably replay on NC public tv and this was the only debate. It started off with discussion of the horrible flooding happening in eastern NC which I know many people in the Charlotte dont know about or dont think is a big issue. It is the absolute worst flooding since 1999 Hurricane Floyd and in some cases worse. NC has had more dead than all the other US states combined due to Hurricane Matthew.  Very tragic flooding. Look at http://www.reflector.com/  Greenville home of ECU's paper or Fayetteville's http://www.fayobserver.com/    Hurricane Matthew dumped 12-18 inches on these areas.  And do I think this could affect the gubernatorial race, time will tell,  but I think it will. Eastern NC is really hurting and they need our prayers and financial support through charities right now. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Big long article on Gaston County and Charlotte/NC in general at 538, as it relates to the election: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/one-north-carolina-county-shows-the-cracks-in-the-gops-defenses/

Re: Charlotte/N.C. perception: 

"

For some months, the state has shown itself to be perhaps the most active and controversial practitioner of democracy in 2016’s America.

The state’s streak of in-the-news-ness started in March, when McCrory signed into law a bill that would overturn a Charlotte city ordinance allowing transgender people to use the bathroom of their choice in public buildings. In May, U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch filed a federal civil rights lawsuit against the state while a stream of prominent corporations and organizations pulled their North Carolina business. In June, the U.S. Supreme Court said it would hear a case arguing that the state’s redrawing of congressional districts relied too heavily on racial considerations. In July, a federal appeals court ruled that its voter ID bill was unconstitutional and sought to suppress the black vote “with almost surgical precision.” In September, a black man named Keith Lamont Scott was fatally shot by police in Charlotte, sparking a days-long protest against the city government in which one protester, Justin Carr, was killed.

"

2 hours ago, hambone931 said:

The Roanoke Times endorses Pat McCrory for NC Governor because of CoStar among other things.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/10/31/here-s-one-endorsement-gov-mccrory-could-probably.html

That's some ballzy reporting there. But McCrory's made himself an easy target, so yeah.

In "Perception" news, I'm a fan of this Charlotte Agenda list: "What do Northern transplants really think about Charlotte? 23 unedited responses"