Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2016/11/02/deciders-key-counties-trump-clinton-education-gap-latino-african-american-rural-vote/93068402/ 

Brief mention of Charlotte (without the N.C. !) in the USA Today:

"One election night key to watch: whether Trump gets the huge margins and turnouts his party needs from reliably red suburbs in metropolitan battlegrounds like Milwaukee, Charlotte and Cincinnati."

interesting article from Greg Lacour (Charlotte Mag) on Charlotte's emergence as a bellwether city / battleground for fighting the social battles of our time. While the second half of the article gets off track (IMO) the first half is some fantastic journalism about our city:

http://www.charlottemagazine.com/Charlotte-Magazine/November-2016/The-Significance-of-Charlotte-USA/

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

worst. silver lining. ever.

That may be, but it's probably accurate. If one's concerns are the backlash against NC over HB2, this should probably begin to make that a non-issue for many companies. If your concern is actually about what HB2 says, then this is probably not a good sign of things to come. Then again, what do I know...most of the people I voted for lost.

2 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Here's an actual silver lining:

With republican control of the senate, president and house it is ALL on them now. There is no one to blame (although they'll find a way to still blame Obama and Hillary) in 4 years when everything is likely a disaster. All pressure on them to perform now. Good luck. 

And, I hope you mean "good luck". I hope people aren't going to do what they did 8 years ago and actually pull for Trump to fail (like the did Obama).

4 minutes ago, jednc said:

That may be, but it's probably accurate. If one's concerns are the backlash against NC over HB2, this should probably begin to make that a non-issue for many companies. If your concern is actually about what HB2 says, then this is probably not a good sign of things to come. Then again, what do I know...most of the people I voted for lost.

And, I hope you mean "good luck". I hope people aren't going to do what they did 8 years ago and actually pull for Trump to fail (like the did Obama).

Well, haha, Obama faced extreme obstructionism that put him in a position to fail, and my most logical and factual accounts: he was handed a turd, and while it still may be a turd, it doesn't smell anymore. 

My point is that Trump will not face that, so good luck to them to make things better because it's all on them. Just don't see it happening. That party is too lost in "the word of God". That said. I don't want to veer too off topic of this thread. 

Edited by Jayvee

13 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Well, haha, Obama faced extreme obstructionism that put him in a position to fail, and my most logical and factual accounts: he was handed a turd, and while it still may be a turd, it doesn't smell anymore. 

My point is that Trump will not face that, so good luck to them to make things better because it's all on them. Just don't see it happening. That party is too lost in "the word of God". That said. I don't want to veer too off topic of this thread. 

Too late...

1 hour ago, ah59396 said:

Frankly, I'm excited about this wall.

Who will design it?

What will it be made of?

How tall are we talking here, like 20 feet?  Or more like "Pacific Rim - kaiju" tall.

Can one work, at the wall?  As a sort of guard?  Do I have to take an oath of celibacy?

Only time will tell.  But I'm fudgeing PUMPED.

If you grew out your hair a bit you could make a pretty convincing Jon Snow

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

If you grew out your hair a bit you could make a pretty convincing Jon Snow

Well, it is No Shave November @ah59396

Slightly back on topic, let's say the recounts don't screw Roy Cooper.  What do you guys think will happen with HB2?  Will he cast it aside?  Will he be enough force that, if Trump really does hand same-sex marriage back to the states, he can continue to uphold that right to our state's citizens?  Or will he just be a pawn tossed around like McCrory was?

This could swing the perception of Charlotte to the public, the media, and corporations back into a positive light.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AuLukey said:

Slightly back on topic, let's say the recounts don't screw Roy Cooper.  What do you guys think will happen with HB2?  Will he cast it aside?  Will he be enough force that, if Trump really does hand same-sex marriage back to the states, he can continue to uphold that right to our state's citizens?  Or will he just be a pawn tossed around like McCrory was?

This could swing the perception of Charlotte to the public, the media, and corporations back into a positive light.

GOP still has super majority in the North Carolina House and Senate. They can over-ride any veto by Cooper and probably won't let anything he wants to do even touch the floor for a vote. They will spend 4 years making sure he can't really do anything so he will be lame duck by day 1. 

:tw_dissapointed:

Edited by CLT2014

5 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

GOP still has super majority in the North Carolina House and Senate. They can over-ride any veto by Cooper and probably won't let anything he wants to do even touch the floor for a vote. They will spend 4 years making sure he can't really do anything and will be lame duck by day 1. 

This is 100% correct. The only benefit it will have is that the "figure head" of the state will be a progressive, which companies will like. That said you can forget about the all star game coming back in 2019 or whatever. HB2 is here to stay now. Especially since the Supreme Court isn't as promising. 

Edited by Jayvee

4 hours ago, AuLukey said:

Cooper couldn't cast HB2 "aside" even if he wanted to. That's not how the government works. The chief executive has no power to undo a law that has been passed.

Similarly, Trump would have no say in same sex marriage as the Supreme Court has ruled that any law banning it is unconstitutional.

The most say on the issue Trump could possibly have would be to nominate judges to the Supreme Court who would then have to hear a case that somehow would challenge the constitutionality of same sex marriage. That seems unlikely assuming he even has an issue with it, which I'm not sure he does.

I'll say this, he's certainly not beholden to the traditional Republican beliefs since many of them turned their back on him. That, and he has been a Democrat most of his life I think.

Edited by jednc
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jednc said:

Cooper couldn't cast HB2 "aside" even if he wanted to. That's not how the government works. The chief executive has no power to undo a law that has been passed.

Similarly, Trump would have no say in same sex marriage as the Supreme Court has ruled that any law banning it is unconstitutional.

The most say on the issue Trump could possibly have would be to nominate judges to the Supreme Court who would then have to hear a case that somehow would challenge the constitutionality of same sex marriage. That seems unlikely assuming he even has an issue with it, which I'm not sure he does.

I'll say this, he's certainly not beholden to the traditional Republican beliefs since many of them turned their back on him. That, and he has been a Democrat most of his life I think.

True, but look at the beliefs of his VP. Will be interesting to see if its a Cheney-Bush type situation.

Found this article on the LA Times interesting - http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/trailguide/la-na-election-day-2016-in-this-north-carolina-bar-the-battle-1478658630-htmlstory.html

The gist of the story...

They interview a woman who moved to Charlotte from Oregon.   She admits that she is "used to living in this Democrat bubble" and that's "it's neck and neck here" but somehow she finds a way to also suggest that Charlotte is...wait for it..“It’s very slanted,” 

I think a large part of what happened on Tuesday was people who find a way to live in an echo chamber were shocked that they don't actually live in an echo chamber.  After all, this woman was so painfully unaware that living in an environment that was 'neck and neck' was to her a 'slanted' environment.  Think about that for a second.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, cjd5050 said:

Found this article on the LA Times interesting - http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/trailguide/la-na-election-day-2016-in-this-north-carolina-bar-the-battle-1478658630-htmlstory.html

The gist of the story...

They interview a woman who moved to Charlotte from Oregon.   She admits that she is "used to living in this Democrat bubble" and that's "it's neck and neck here" but somehow she finds a way to also suggest that Charlotte is...wait for it..“It’s very slanted,” 

I think a large part of what happened on Tuesday was people who find a way to live in an echo chamber were shocked that they don't actually live in an echo chamber.  After all, this woman was so painfully unaware that living in an environment that was 'neck and neck' was to her a 'slanted' environment.  Think about that for a second.  

I think the "it's slanted" was referring to the woman's perception Fox News. It's kind of confusing the way it's worded in the article though.

Just now, Vitamin_N said:

I think the "it's slanted" was referring to the woman's perception Fox News. It's kind of confusing the way it's worded in the article though.

Well if about Fox News, it's coming from someone who wanted to watch CNN coverage...so it's somewhat the same thing.  

On 11/11/2016 at 9:35 AM, qcguttersnipe said:

Great. Well, so much for taking the heat off of North Carolina.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ku-klux-klan-hold-north-230227525.html

Ku Klux Klan to hold North Carolina rally celebrating Trump victory

If this changes someone's perception of NC, then their opinion wasn't worth crap to begin with.

20 hours ago, R.Talbott said:

If this changes someone's perception of NC, then their opinion wasn't worth crap to begin with.

Dude everything that involves 2016 and North Carolina has been negative. I don't blame a person if their opinion changes about NC, everytime i see NC on the news its for something bad. Talk about a PR disaster. it's sad this state can't catch a break.

Edited by Nashtitans