Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

On 11/17/2016 at 9:55 AM, AuLukey said:

This week's Last Week Tonight with John Oliver featured how crappy 2016 was as a whole in the world.  One of the highlights during the reel was Charlotte's riots...

For nearly a month prior to the elections, the promotional montage that was running for the PBS NewHour included the "Charlotte riots" as part of its news zipline.  It felt like a sucker gut punch every time I saw it.  Thank God, PBS seems to have finally stopped using it.  

However, Charlotte may soon be in the national spotlight again.  Here's today's headline news at Charlotte Agenda:

Charlotte police are bracing for another round of protests

cmpd-protest-header.jpg

Click open link in new window to read the Agenda's story:

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/73469/charlotte-police-bracing-another-round-protests/

EXCERPTS:

"Two months after protests rocked Charlotte in the wake of an African-American’s shooting death at the hands of police, the city’s police department is preparing for more."

"Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department officers are being told to expect a return to emergency staffing in the last week in November, where many officers work shifts of 12 hours on and 12 hours off, several sources tell the Agenda."

"That’s in anticipation of a decision on whether to charge Officer Brentley Vinson, the officer who police say shot and killed Keith Lamont Scott near his home in September. CMPD said that officers approached Scott after witnessing him inside his car holding a gun and possessing marijuana. Both Scott and Vinson were black." 

"CMPD Chief Kerr Putney has consistently defended the police department’s actions in the shooting of Scott and called Scott an “imminently deadly threat.'”

"A decision on whether to charge Vinson currently rests in the hands of the Mecklenburg County district attorney’s office. A spokeswoman confirmed that the case is under review but declined to give a timetable for a decision. She said the office would not be giving updates on the status of the review."

I personally having lived in Aatlanta and San Francisco like Charlotte and see enormous growth potential and avoiding mistakes made in Atlanta's dream of not only being a major American city but an International city as well.

Then on the San Francisco side, they are quite aware that thier Bank Of America got gobbled up by the former NationsBank. You know like it was stolen from them or something. Then in walks Wells Fargo and they place thier Southeast U.S. operations center in Charlotte and not Atlanta. So thier are some that are downright jealous and then there are others that applaud Charlotte and its achievments. Put it this way: If I were the CEO and major stockholder and had a choice of Atlanta, Miami, Nashville, or Charlotte, I think I would choose Charlotte to place my world headquarters in. Atlanta is full of smog and bumper to bumper freeways, Miami and crime are a concern. Nashville is well known for its music, but not much else. So this is just a personal opinion looking at Charlotte and other  American cities.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Kenneth Disraili-Jean said:

I personally having lived in Aatlanta and San Francisco like Charlotte and see enormous growth potential and avoiding mistakes made in Atlanta's dream of not only being a major American city but an International city as well.

Then on the San Francisco side, they are quite aware that thier Bank Of America got gobbled up by the former NationsBank. You know like it was stolen from them or something. Then in walks Wells Fargo and they place thier Southeast U.S. operations center in Charlotte and not Atlanta. So thier are some that are downright jealous and then there are others that applaud Charlotte and its achievments. Put it this way: If I were the CEO and major stockholder and had a choice of Atlanta, Miami, Nashville, or Charlotte, I think I would choose Charlotte to place my world headquarters in. Atlanta is full of smog and bumper to bumper freeways, Miami and crime are a concern. Nashville is well known for its music, but not much else. So this is just a personal opinion looking at Charlotte and other  American cities.

With population in the metro area expected to double in only 2-3 decades, it will be the same here eventually.

15 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Charlotte ranked #9 in Zagat's 2016 hottest food cities list

https://www.zagat.com/b/the-26-hottest-food-cities-of-2016#1

I mean I don't agree, though I do say Charlotte made leaps in 2016. 2016 was the first year I went home to Charlotte at Christmas and there were too many new restaurants for me to go to all of them. That said... its great press.

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I mean I don't agree, though I do say Charlotte made leaps in 2016. 2016 was the first year I went home to Charlotte at Christmas and there were too many new restaurants for me to go to all of them. That said... its great press.

This reads as more of a "most improved" list of food cities, which is the only way it makes any sense for us to be listed over Atlanta and Charleston, but yes the progress made in just the last year or two has been pretty notable. DC totally does deserve the #1 spot in my opinion. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, nonillogical said:

This reads as more of a "most improved" list of food cities, which is the only way it makes any sense for us to be listed over Atlanta and Charleston, but yes the progress made in just the last year or two has been pretty notable. DC totally does deserve the #1 spot in my opinion. 

+1 on that... I view it the same way. Definitely made some progress this year. But still ways to go. The fact that Zagat mentioned Stoke, which hasn't been open long, in their review shows it's the new places that are helping. Hope the momentum continues.

• Like 2

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/03/disney-employees-given-free-tickets-in-attempt-to-fill-stadium-for-acc-championship-game/

This could be good for the ACC game coming back to Charlotte sooner rather than later. ACC Championship Game ticket sales pretty low this year despite a good match-up. Article talks about how Disney employees are being given free tickets to fill the stadium and re-sale price on Stub Hub is $10. Also points out the geographic advantage of Charlotte.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/03/disney-employees-given-free-tickets-in-attempt-to-fill-stadium-for-acc-championship-game/

This could be good for the ACC game coming back to Charlotte sooner rather than later. ACC Championship Game ticket sales pretty low this year despite a good match-up. Article talks about how Disney employees are being given free tickets to fill the stadium and re-sale price on Stub Hub is $10. Also points out the geographic advantage of Charlotte.

I personally do not feel sorry for the ACC on this issue.  I hope it's a bust for them.  They could have shown support for this measure by still keeping the game in Charlotte,,,,the city that actually proposed the ordinance at the local level to support LGBT rights....

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, SentioVenia said:

During the ACC championship game last night, Chris Fowler on ABC/ESPN mentioned the reason why the game was moved to Orlando.  Unfortunately, he said the voters of NC voted for HB2.

Well done ESPN.

Typical of the press today and ESPECIALLY in the sport's world were in my opinion they just need to concentrate on the game!!!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jednc said:

Except I've seen that video a few times and had no idea it was Charlotte so I don't think this will move the needle of the Perception of Charlotte Nationwide.

I couldn't decide if I should post in Off Topic, Charlotte Nationwide, or Civil Rights, so I just plonked it down here.

2 hours ago, CLT704 said:

I couldn't decide if I should post in Off Topic, Charlotte Nationwide, or Civil Rights, so I just plonked it down here.

Well, I think it was worth posting if for no other reason that we would all know it made Google's year end search montage. Can't decide if it's a good thing or bad to be honest. The shooting was bad for Charlotte obviously, but that clip shows a peaceful moment in the protest reaction so maybe that's not so bad?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jednc said:

Except I've seen that video a few times and had no idea it was Charlotte so I don't think this will move the needle of the Perception of Charlotte Nationwide.

There were a few scenes of Charlotte in that video. In one scene you could clearly see part of the skyline.

Edited by norm21499

In today's world of international and domestic terrorism Im not so sure that people throughout the country are overly concerned with the riots in Charlotte. For sure we are though. It affects us right in our back yard and is something most of us haven't seen in real life. It was sad, scary and sadly people lost their lives.

Im all for peaceful protest as my community , the LGBT community pretty much perfected the art of the protest...lol. What havent we protested about. But it was needed and it made change.

The riots in Charlotte, though ugly and somewhat embarrassing, brought the city back to the table of race discussions. God forbid what happened in Charleston ever happen here.

I think what Charlotte is known for nationwide is coming together as a city and getting things done. If we want something we make it happen, from professional sports to light rail we find a way and thats while all the while having to fight with Raleigh all along the way about something.

We are strong, determined and moving forward.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Charlotte and most other southern and Texan cities are powerful magnets for millenials due to our cost of living no big surprise here but think twice about taking that high paying tech job in California for sure! http://www.jll.com/Dallas/en-us/research/chart-of-the-week?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social&utm_content=785819379&utm_campaign=Americasnon-specific

• Thanks 1