Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

• 4 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not super recent but here's a video of a couple walking around uptown speaking their minds. It's extremely positive but it was driving me nuts that they didn't have a local to help them see the best parts of CLT.

And literally every last person I ever show around uptown says the exact same stuff they do. Super clean, safe, new, pretty, etc.

https://youtu.be/007tslgLtC0

• Like 3

2 hours ago, asthasr said:

The Citizen-Times just had an angsty/disbelieving piece because Charlotte was named "hipper" than Asheville in some ranking or other.

I find that if you are under 30, you will likely think that Asheville is "hipper."  That is because most people in uptown Charlotte are older and more professional generally. Asheville consists of hippie like young people and students. Most of the people that I know that live in Asheville (quite a few) don't go to downtown Asheville any more. They don't care for the "hipsters" and are tired of going to the Indian Street Food restaurant or bars. Charlotte is in a different category. Asheville should be compared with cities the same size, i.e. Fayetteville, Charlottesville, Greenville, Chapel Hill, etc.  It is a cool place, but not compared to Charlotte. Charlotte has cool places all around the metro. Asheville really doesn't except for the Biltmore Village. 

I'm a huge fan of these sorts of city rankings lists built on proprietary data and vaguely described statistics based indices.  This one is truly a work of art.   

I enjoyed the Citizen-Times report, but it did make me wonder if they think they invented the bacon maple pastry over there.  Duck Donuts, anyone?  Do they know that's a chain?  We have one in Dilworth.    

9 hours ago, asthasr said:

The Citizen-Times just had an angsty/disbelieving piece because Charlotte was named "hipper" than Asheville in some ranking or other.

After reading the article, it seems that some people interviewed were comparing Uptown Charlotte to Downtown Asheville. Charlotte's Uptown may not be "hipster" but other neighborhoods are. The most famous one, of course, is NoDa.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

The Queen City has impressed me for the first time in a while — we really are a “big city”

The NYT reports that an FBI counter terror agent got hammered at the Westin hotel bar, took a mystery woman back to his room and woke up to find his glock and Rolex gone.  He was even too drunk to file his own police report.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/09/us/politics/fbi-stolen-gun-stolen-charlotte.html

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, kermit said:

The Queen City has impressed me for the first time in a while — we really are a “big city”

The NYT reports that an FBI counter terror agent got hammered at the Westin hotel bar, took a mystery woman back to his room and woke up to find his glock and Rolex gone.  He was even too drunk to file his own police report.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/09/us/politics/fbi-stolen-gun-stolen-charlotte.html

"It happens to the best of us."

FBI 2017

Edited by Popsickle
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Popsickle said:

"It happens to the best of us."

FBI 2017

Of course, they can't resist saying first it was in North Carolina and then, when they mention Charlotte they tack on NC.  Replace "North Carolina" with say, Texas, and the city mentioned later in the article would not have TX tacked on.  I noticed it when national media was reporting on events in Virginia.  Once they established the event was in Virginia, they don't follow "Charlottesville" with VA.  

Edited by Phillydog
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Phillydog said:

Of course, they can't resist saying first it was in North Carolina and then, when they mention Charlotte they tack on NC.  Replace "North Carolina" with say, Texas, and the city mentioned later in the article would not have TX tacked on.  I noticed it when national media was reporting on events in Virginia.  Once they established the event was in Virginia, they don't follow "Charlottesville" with VA.  

Fun fact. 

The second largest concentration of FIS (Foreign Intelligence Service "members'), behind DC is actually located in Fayetteville. Wouldn't be far fetched for those agents to move to Charlotte for an FBI field exercise. 

• Like 2

On 11/14/2017 at 3:42 PM, CLT2014 said:

CRVA is getting rid of "Charlotte's got a Lot". The crown logo will now be the fixture of CRVA branding, licensed by the city royalty free.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article184568428.html

charlottelogoUPDATE

I found "Charlotte's Got A Lot" so incredibly terrible at the time it came out that I felt compelled to be an obnoxious citizen and let them know. It was incredibly desperate & pathetic.....both the campaign and my please to trash it.

That crown should be/should have been already all over the place. It gives people a sense of identity and is not incredibly corny.

• Like 2

On 11/19/2017 at 12:16 AM, kermit said:

Very positive article on Braxton Winston

I find this fascinating that people still refuse to look at the facts in this case:

• A black person is shot by police...
  • BLM blows up and destroys things in a "peaceful" protest
  • Same protests end up murdering another black man
  • Then the fact comes out that a black police officer shot an armed man that refused to obey police commands.
  • The chief of Police, that they are protesting against, just happens to be black too.

And this is a "race relations" issue.

“It was not just anti-police-brutality, it was about the inequities – this is one of the most segregated cities in the world,” said Winston.

That is one of the most ignorant statements I've heard come out in Charlotte politics, and we have our share that are worthy of the hall of fame.

It is sad to watch the city vote on emotion instead of reason!  But hey, Braxton Winston is going to fix it from within!

6 minutes ago, Scribe said:

I find this fascinating that people still refuse to look at the facts in this case:

• A black person is shot by police...
  • BLM blows up and destroys things in a "peaceful" protest
  • Same protests end up murdering another black man
  • Then the fact comes out that a black police officer shot an armed man that refused to obey police commands.
  • The chief of Police, that they are protesting against, just happens to be black too.

And this is a "race relations" issue.

That is one of the most ignorant statements I've heard come out in Charlotte politics, and we have our share that are worthy of the hall of fame.

It is sad to watch the city vote on emotion instead of reason!  But hey, Braxton Winston is going to fix it from within!

I'm glad Braxton is on the city council instead of you. 

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Scribe said:

As you sharpen your knives, this city has done all kinds of crazy crap to "fix" segregation -  I was bused 45 minutes away from home to West Charlotte High School, for instance.

The only forms of segregation I find in the city is self imposed and that of the mind.

3 minutes ago, wilmore said:

I'm glad Braxton is on the city council instead of you.

I know, right!?