Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

Just watching the thousands of people who have turned out for nothing more than to catch a glimpse of the motorcade of Billy Graham's body on its way from Asheville to Charlotte and thinking about how out-of-touch and ignorant anyone is who thinks people don't know who Billy Graham was or understand why he was one of the important cultural icons of the 20th and early 21st century worldwide.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The quote was about millennial's. Perhaps you have seen the numbers on the precipitous decline in organized religion participation among that age group?  There are also a great number of people who would agree he was a cultural icon but not a force for good.  Not everyone who disagrees with you is ignorant.

I find your tagline humorously contradictory to the majority of your posts.

• Thanks 1

I didn’t know who Billy Graham was until Franklin Graham started making headlines around Amendment 1 time frame. 

Im 25, born 1992. Id say im more educated and worldly than the average 25 year old. I believe I was in the 2nd grade during the 2000 election. I’d say I really didn’t process world events until 6th grade, 2004. It’s not like we had classes or anything I can recall that would’ve made me aware of Billy.

So I wouldn’t really say people are ignorant and out of touch rather some of us didn’t live during his peak I guess. Which  not knowing is “ignorant,” just sounds a little harsh. 

Here’s what Wikipedia says about Graham in his “later life” :

” Graham had suffered from hydrocephalus since 1992.[66]

Graham said that his planned retirement was because of his failing health. In August 2005, Graham appeared at the groundbreaking for his library in Charlotte, North Carolina. Then 86, he used a walker during the ceremony. On July 9, 2006, he spoke at the Metro Maryland Franklin Graham Festival, held in Baltimore, Maryland, at Oriole Park at Camden Yards.

In April 2010, Graham, at 91 and with substantial vision and hearing loss “

Most of his career seemed to be in the 50’s and 60’s and by the late 80’s and early 90’ it seemed it was a prayer during 9/11 or prayer for Hurricane Katrina. And probably people for my age must have paid no attention to who the preacher was during 9/11 or Katrina. 

There’s a lot I’m not too familiar with with the past generation. Not too familiar with Cher, Madonna, Dukakis, Ross Perot, Bob Dole, etc despite these names being very familiar and having knowing what they were. 2 super famous singers and politicians. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1

I'm 39 years old. I am friends with a wide range of people from those with college degrees to your average joe/blue collar guy and extremely few people in my age range have been talking about this. A couple of times I've gotten, "did ya hear about Billy Graham?" and nothing else. Now, I'm not religious and don't attend services so that certainly plays into it. I also talk regularly with people that are around 10 or so years younger that me and out of curiosities sake I asked some of them about this. It was EXTREMELY rare to find any one of them that could tell me WHO he was. Some recognized the name and knew he was a preacher and that's literally it. Many of them had no clue who I was talking about. 

I'm not trying to diminish the man that he was, but he is simply not someone that anyone was really talking about anymore. And with the direction and political stances his son has moved towards its not like he is bringing the youth into the fold.

Billy Graham was no "televangelist," if by that you mean to associate him with Jim & Tammy Faye Bakker, et al. As far as I know, there was never a hint of scandal, whatever you may think about his position on LGBTQ. There are undoubtedly things to strongly disagree with him on, but you ought to respect him, if not outright, then as a worthy opponent.

My parents, who were religious, but of the "we-don't-discuss-politics-or-religion" type, usually watched Billy Graham crusades when they were televised. I think that was generally true of earlier generations. But his crusades were infrequent. Outside of those crusades (and even during them), he never called attention to himself. So it would have been easy to forget him.

I teach HS, and sometimes make the mistake of referencing shows like Lost, which the vast majority of my students don't recognize (and the ones that do vaguely recognize them because they "think" their parents might have watched them). If they don't recognize something less than 10 years old, someone whose heyday was really pre-1980 is ancient (and therefore mostly unknown) history to millennials.

He sure did well financially.

Much is unknown about the famous evangelist's wealth. According to the wealth-tracking site TheRichest.com, Billy Graham's net worth was an estimated $25 millionat the time of his death. That would rank Graham as one of America's eight richest pastors, Beliefnet.com reported

43 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

He sure did well financially.

http://time.com/money/5168865/billy-graham-net-worth-quotes-money-greed/

It's pretty clear that he had that much wealth in spite of himself. He's probably to be compared to those stories one sometimes hears about monks who, despite trying to live a life of poverty, end up unwittingly producing some product that sells big and makes a lot of money.

We'll see how his successors do, but it seems pretty clear that he was financially squeaky clean.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2018 at 1:45 PM, Miesian Corners said:

I know who he was. He was a man. One who worked tirelessly to put LGBTQ people at the back of the bus. One who once said that HIV was God's punishment on LGBTQ people. 

That doesn't change anything I said about him. Can you elaborate on his tireless work to put LGBTQ people at the "back of the bus"? Could you give me a link to his quote you are referencing? I don't remember him saying this. I can think of many things Franklin has said along these lines.