Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

5 hours ago, Nick2 said:

Interesting perspective. I was mostly looking at it as artificially inflated prices. Sf and seattle should absolutely have high prices in general but they're rising a rate much higher than it should naturally be. Charlotte is more along the lines of building massive complexes with the expectation of filling them. And the prices are creeping upward in Charlotte too but they're not unreasonable. I dont know a ton about real estate pricing so this is just my basic understanding and observations.

Oh yeah the prices are definitely going to cool.  The spike has been nuts.  I don’t foresee a 2007 level bubble burst though, moreso a slight dip then plateau.  It’s a lot harder to buy a house now than in the mid-2000’s.  So you don’t have people with minimal incomes buying ARM’s that skyrocket and force them to foreclose.  At least not to the degree of 2006.

Speculative condo building is usually a bad sign.  I do think Seattle is in for a small pop in the condo/townhome market.  I have no evidence to back that up, just purely my observation.

But much like Seattle, if people keep coming to Charlotte and good jobs are present, housing prices will continue to stay strong.  Price growth will just slow as interest rates keep creeping up.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ah59396 said:

Oh yeah the prices are definitely going to cool.  The spike has been nuts.  I don’t foresee a 2007 level bubble burst though, moreso a slight dip then plateau.  It’s a lot harder to buy a house now than in the mid-2000’s.  So you don’t have people with minimal incomes buying ARM’s that skyrocket and force them to foreclose.  At least not to the degree of 2006.

Speculative condo building is usually a bad sign.  I do think Seattle is in for a small pop in the condo/townhome market.  I have no evidence to back that up, just purely my observation.

But much like Seattle, if people keep coming to Charlotte and good jobs are present, housing prices will continue to stay strong.  Price growth will just slow as interest rates keep creeping up.

Trying to look at the two is almost like comparing apples to oranges because their markets are so different right now. When I mention a bubble it isn't a reference to pre-recession. We aren't anywhere near that bad and the circumstances are pretty dramatically different. I think a better way to put it would be a correction to the overly healthy real estate market not unlike what occurs to the stock market as opposed to a bubble popping. 

^Do you think Charlotte is already a "world class city" or you don't like the striving part?

I'll be the sole contrarian again:

We don't really know what world class city means but it may be hard to put Charlotte in top 50 in the world given any reasonable definition? Top 15? in US would be hard and the US only has 2-3 (NY, LA, SF) top 20 in the world to me. It's all in the definition but surely nothing to be offended over.

Striving is good and what we do FAR too little of that vs. complaining about not be respected. Quoting McCrory is the embarrassing part. ;-)

6 minutes ago, EllAyyDub said:

Citylab article on Charlotte why we are hosting the convention & our perception of ourselves.  Includes the quote: "The best way to summarize Charlotte is to say that if the Russians bomb us and the first wave of bombs that comes over doesn't include one for Charlotte, people here would be very much disappointed" 

https://www.citylab.com/life/2018/07/why-charlotte-and-only-charlotte-wants-the-2020-rnc/566093/

I love this city. I am grieved that we have to host the RNC, but I do not & will never appreciate or understand people who feel the need to constantly slam this place. How many non-coastal cities were amazing places during Washington's time? Who is alive that is responsible for a goofy newspaper add in the 30's or why does a candy stunt from the 60's need to be mentioned when we're talking about the decisions of people who were toddlers at the oldest? I think Vy Lyles made an incredibly dumb, impetuous decision, but leave the rest of us out of it.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, EllAyyDub said:

Citylab article on Charlotte why we are hosting the convention & our perception of ourselves.  Includes the quote: "The best way to summarize Charlotte is to say that if the Russians bomb us and the first wave of bombs that comes over doesn't include one for Charlotte, people here would be very much disappointed" 

https://www.citylab.com/life/2018/07/why-charlotte-and-only-charlotte-wants-the-2020-rnc/566093/

As far as I am concern, this is merely the opinion of Pam Kelly the writer of this blog/piece/editorial/college paper "what have ya"!

59 minutes ago, EllAyyDub said:

That's a great quote!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EllAyyDub said:

That is a great way to summarize everyone on this forum too! Lmao

• Like 1

My belief is that with global warming, or Chinese Hoax if you prefer, continues, sea levels will rise creating a lot of issues with coastal cities in general, and storm surges will be increasingly sever.  As heat and cold spells increase putting additional burdens on the northeast infrastructure, it will become impossible to resurrect them, and many will abandon them.  Our location will serve us well as far enough from the beach to not be affected, and open enough to welcome the rest of the northeast to come here.  Charlotte in 30 years will be the capital of the banking industry.  Our airport will allow that status to grow.

Fret not friends, our future is indeed bright.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DMann said:

My belief is that with global warming, or Chinese Hoax if you prefer, continues, sea levels will rise creating a lot of issues with coastal cities in general, and storm surges will be increasingly sever.  As heat and cold spells increase putting additional burdens on the northeast infrastructure, it will become impossible to resurrect them, and many will abandon them.  Our location will serve us well as far enough from the beach to not be affected, and open enough to welcome the rest of the northeast to come here.  Charlotte in 30 years will be the capital of the banking industry.  Our airport will allow that status to grow.

Fret not friends, our future is indeed bright.

I don't know about all that but our tree canopy should help with this:

https://apnews.com/fe99da5da0d4455eaf2d96842b83b577/'Urban-island'-heat-tests-Phoenix,-other-large-cities

Edited by JBS
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, JBS said:

I don't know about all that but our tree canopy should help with this:

https://apnews.com/fe99da5da0d4455eaf2d96842b83b577/'Urban-island'-heat-tests-Phoenix,-other-large-cities

No one can predict which areas of the country will be hit. You could say they sort of deserve it since our nation has decided to roll back it's progress.

A tree canopy won't last long with chronic droughts and temps in the 100's will it? I don't know anything about it but seems to defy common sense.

32 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

No one can predict which areas of the country will be hit. You could say they sort of deserve it since our nation has decided to roll back it's progress.

A tree canopy won't last long with chronic droughts and temps in the 100's will it? I don't know anything about it but seems to defy common sense.

Good questions.  I referenced trees because other cities mentioned in the article are using trees as a strategy to combat warming.  It's oversimplified but there is a huge difference between walking Uptown in shade vs. sun.  I won't opine on anything beyond that since I'm not educated enough to have anything meaningful to offer.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Phillydog said:

"Little city"? Charlotte is over 300 sq miles and the 17th largest city in the US by population. Sounds like a big city to me. Only the metro area has some catching up to do.

Also, do not read the comments. You have been warned.

Edited by NCMike1990
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Phillydog said:

At first I started to get upset, but then I realized that guy is just an unhappy person, bitter about whoever hurt his feelings when he used live in Charlotte, who feels spurned that we don't want his political clown posse here. In the words of his president, "Sad".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, NCMike1990 said:

"Little city"? Charlotte is over 300 sq miles and the 17th largest city in the US by population. Sounds like a big city to me. Only the metro area has some catching up to do.

Also, do not read the comments. You have been warned.

Terrible piece and, yes, the comments are awful (and racist).  I'm glad the author moved.  This excerpt rings true, however:

...Several Charlotte residents took to Twitter to proclaim, “Our city will become a Mecca for hate mongers & tiki torch carrying racists” and “Do you we really want facist [sic], racist, abusers here?” In addition, some targeted Charlotte’s mayor Vi Lyles, an African-American female and Democrat, directly, stating “You’ll end up in this History books Mayor as the woman who allowed the New South to return to the bigoted Old South ways. The bombardment of bad press will make Charlotte a World Wide embarrassment.”

First, conflating Charlotte with Charlottesville in this context is unhelpful. Trying to tie a political convention to a white supremacy rally is, at best, reflective of a severe lack of understanding of the historical role of political nominating conventions, and, at worst, a blatant attempt at fear-mongering by the left.

I've seen some overwrought handwringing (and unwarranted criticism of Mayor Lyles) from these very pages.  I wish the convention wasn't coming but I like the balance of "we'll take your money and oppose your candidate while exhibiting our Southern hospitality". 

It's obviously true that Charlotte aspires to be a major city and might be a little insecure.  Nothing wrong with that.  San Diego was the same way when I lived there (though I never understood why that city had an inferiority complex).    

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Phillydog said:

I still cannot understand why a single right wing rag cannot produce a single f*cking well designed website. crap is so ugly. From the low res pictures to the logo, to the formating, to the buttons, to the 40 different fonts. Jesus.

4 hours ago, JBS said:

It's obviously true that Charlotte aspires to be a major city and might be a little insecure.  Nothing wrong with that.  San Diego was the same way when I lived there (though I never understood why that city had an inferiority complex).    

I'm thinking being in the shadow of a rather iconic megacity has something to do with it.