Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

6 hours ago, QCxpat said:

@KJHburg  said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-13/wall-street-of-the-south-braces-for-reckoning-as-florence-hits

This is flat out terrible reporting (or wishful thinking of NY centric bankers)  Bloomberg is full of it! 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

A number of the assertions in the Bloomberg story seem questionable.  For example, the Bloomberg article states that “Growth obviously can have adverse consequences,” said Mansfield, former global chairman of the Urban Land Institute. “The amount of impervious cover has certainly increased in this community substantially.”  However, the UNC Charlotte Urban Institute's own website does not support this conclusion.   In fact, a UNC Urban Institute graph of developed acres per capita indicates that there has been a small decrease in the amount of developed acres per capita in Mecklenburg County.  Developed acres per capita appears to have peaked on or about 2006 at 0.23 acres per person.  Projections by the UNC Urban Institute for developed acres per capita show the following:  0.23 developed acres per capita as of 2006; 0.22 developed acres per capita as of 2020; and 0.21 developed acres per capita as of 2025.  This study reflects an improvement in the environment over time.   Link:      http://ui.uncc.edu/data/county/mecklenburg  -  Mecklenburg County: Developed Acres per capita.

Everyone in Charlotte is familiar with the tremendous success, both environmentally and aesthetically, of uncapping and restoration of Little Sugar Creek as it flows along the eastern side of Charlotte's CBD.   Compared with my youth in Charlotte in the 60's, there is far more protected parkland along creek beds than in the past.  Additions to Mecklenburg County's protected parklands include Nevin Park and Hornets Nest Park along Irwin Creek, Ramblelwood Park and Renaissance Park along Sugar Creek, McAlpine Creek Park, Reedy Creed Park & Nature Preserve, Park Road Park along Little Sugar Creek, etc.  

The Bloomberg story refers to a local urban and environmental expert, Mary Newsom, the Director of urban policy initiatives at the University of North Carolina-Charlotte’s Urban Institute, and paradoxically seeks to turn Ms. Newsom into a critic of the city's environmental legacy.  However, Ms. Newsom (who is also  the Chair of the Board of the Charlotte Museum of History off Shamrock Drive) is best known for a truly inspiring TED TALK which recaps Charlotte's impressive success in restoring Little Sugar Creek to a healthy and pristine river.  It's a wonderful and uplifting story that can only be seen as a Win-Win for Charlotte and its environment.  Link:  https://keepingwatch.org/programming/creeks/little-sugar-creek - Keeting Watch 2017, "Little Sugar: The Creek the City Loved to Hate, Once loathed, Charlotte's Most Prominent Creek takes a new twist," by Mary Newsom. 

Totally agree with @Nick2 and @KJHburg  that the Bloomberg story is grossly misleading and unfair inasmuch as it fails to present countervailing and easily accessible public information and data that shows a different story line, that is,  that tremendous strides have been made in Charlotte towards remediating and restoring Charlotte's many beautiful creeks while also protecting the public from potential floods.

Opened in 2010, the uptown segment of the Little Sugar Creek Greenway brings people near the water. Photo: Nancy Pierce

Opened in 2010, the Uptown segment of the Little Sugar Creek Greenway brings people near the water.  Photo: Nancy Pierce

So, is anyone writing Bloomberg to set the record straight?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jednc said:

I'm so tired of excuses being made for people's ignorance. Name a top 50 city in America and I will show it to you on a map and tell you what state it's in. I can probably tell you what county a lot of them are in. I'm tired of excuses for ignorant people who can't find a city on a map that is the center of a metro area of about 3 million people. I don't give two flips what somebody from New York City has to say in some article... It's just plain ignorance if you don't know where Charlotte is at this point. Rant over.

Agreed. People need to know their geography; Especially US geography, whether they travel or not. 

• Like 4

I was born and raised in Indiana. Never been to the South but a family trip by car to Miami at age 16. I was map person and as aware of geography as anyone at that age. At age 18 I was still thinking about Raleigh and Columbia and which Carolina had which capital. Carolinas were not distinct to me. Never heard of Charlotte at that point in life. Nor Charlottesville, but knew of Charleston W. Va. and SC.

Time adds layers of learning, sooner to some and later to others. Some never.

• Like 2

Nothing new here but the NYT published a blurb on the latest Walkscore results for cities — they make a point to highlight Charlotte as the least walkable of major cities.  Kinda hurts be be listed behind Jville, Nashville (a city renowned for its lack of sidewalks) and Raleigh.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/20/realestate/take-a-walk.html

we all already know this is a bit of a bad rap due to methodology issues and the city's massive geographic extent, our relatively walkable areas (Southend, Dilworth, Uptown, Wesley Heights, Plaza Midwood, Elizabeth) get dilluted into irrelevance. I would much rather be a ped in intown Charlotte than most of the other cities  on their least walkable  list.

FAE4639B-F0CF-4758-A3FE-DC576BF34A94.png

Edited by kermit

9 hours ago, Nick2 said:

I'd like to see the methodology that puts CLT lower than Jacksonville.

Jacksonville had more growth earlier on (ie pre-WW2) than Charlotte, so I think it may have a little more historic neighborhood infrastructure. That said, it never struck me as a particularly walkable  place when I lived there in the 90s. I just stayed in downtown Jax late last year and I was really disappointed at how crappy it was to walk in their downtown--very little progress there in the last 20 years, whereas Charlotte is night and day. (Though I wish Charlotte had a bookstore like Chamblin Bookmine.)

So while I can understand how methodology might give Jacksonville an edge, personal experience tells me something different.

• Like 2

On 9/23/2018 at 10:57 AM, kermit said:

<snip>

we all already know this is a bit of a bad rap due to methodology issues and the city's massive geographic extent, our relatively walkable areas (Southend, Dilworth, Uptown, Wesley Heights, Plaza Midwood, Elizabeth) get dilluted into irrelevance. I would much rather be a ped in intown Charlotte than most of the other cities  on their least walkable  list.

While I am also sad to find us at the bottom of another list, let's go to the source: https://www.walkscore.com/NC/Charlotte

It looks like all of their information is at least 10 years out of date (highlights mine).

Charlotte is the 50th most walkable large city in the US with 731,424 residents. (2010 Census numbers, really, there have been at least three estimates since then)

Charlotte has some public transportation and does not have many bike lanes. (again, this may have been true 10 years ago, and we're far from perfect but both have increased substantially since 2010 - according to the Charlotte Agenda in an article slagging Charlotte's sucking for bike riders we have almost 90 miles of bike lanes . . . https://www.charlotteagenda.com/136706/future-of-biking-charlotte/)

The most walkable Charlotte neighborhoods are Fourth Ward, First Ward and Second Ward. (Wondering where you would walk to from second ward, Midtown? Bob Walton Plaza?)

The included photos are pretty good though . . . so current. I'm really not bitter, just miffed because I feel like they are ranking a city from 20 years ago.

image.thumb.png.5b6eca37817048f47791c39a6221bb7b.png

• Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 7:57 AM, Vitamin_N said:

Jacksonville had more growth earlier on (ie pre-WW2) than Charlotte, so I think it may have a little more historic neighborhood infrastructure. That said, it never struck me as a particularly walkable  place when I lived there in the 90s. I just stayed in downtown Jax late last year and I was really disappointed at how crappy it was to walk in their downtown--very little progress there in the last 20 years, whereas Charlotte is night and day. (Though I wish Charlotte had a bookstore like Chamblin Bookmine.)

So while I can understand how methodology might give Jacksonville an edge, personal experience tells me something different.

You're right about downtown Jacksonville - lots of potential that's largely unrealized. The walkable areas of Jax are intown neighborhoods like Riverside/Avondale, San Marco and increasingly Springfield.

• Thanks 1

On 9/25/2018 at 8:35 AM, davidclt said:

While I am also sad to find us at the bottom of another list, let's go to the source: https://www.walkscore.com/NC/Charlotte

It looks like all of their information is at least 10 years out of date (highlights mine).

The included photos are pretty good though . . . so current. I'm really not bitter, just miffed because I feel like they are ranking a city from 20 years ago.

image.thumb.png.5b6eca37817048f47791c39a6221bb7b.png

The irony of showing Midwood Park here is that it has a walkscore of 54. Don't get me wrong... it is a great park and walkable to plenty of homes, but based on the sidewalk dependent algorithm these guys use - it is a dog.  there are a fair number of sidewalks in Plaza Midwood, but none around this park.  In fact it does not have a single connection to a sidewalk network. Every single person entering this park on foot must step through a city street to enter the park.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Phillydog said:

Good or Bad?  At least there's no NC after "Charlotte".   I think the article shows Charlotte is stepping up solve a problem.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/01/upshot/maps-neighborhoods-shape-child-poverty.html

Interesting article.  I take it as good.  This excerpt is certainly true:

“You could drive from your home in south Charlotte to your banking job downtown and never see poverty, because we’re so segregated,” said Dr. Garmon-Brown, who grew up poor herself, in Detroit. “In some of this, we have to admit that was intentional.”

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AuLukey said:

FWIW, while on vacation in S Florida/Keys this past week I made it a point to never say the words “North Carolina” when asked where I was from. Not one person batted an eye when I said I was from Charlotte. The most common response was either to do with having a house in NC or not having been to NC in a few months. So, South Floridians know their geography at the very least.

Floridians are moving up here too plus they love our mountains and they will be there en masse in a few weeks. That is a good trick I will start using that too just saying Charlotte and see what they say. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

New CMT series "Racing Wives" premiering on Jan. 3 showcasing wives of NASCAR stars all shot in Lake Norman area mainly Mooresville I would think.

(This is probably better than the Side Chicks show that was proposed not sure if it aired or not)

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/08/nascar-reality-show-racing-wives-set-for-2019

http://www.cmt.com/news/1797948/cmt-greenlights-racing-wives-and-season-two-of-music-city/

Edited by KJHburg
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's unfortunate that this video of a racist rant goes viral the same day as the Trump rally. It's been picked up by news nationally too. 

This woman is in the process of being evicted so not "living in her $1300 rent apartment." She's been fired so she didn't go back to "making 125k on Monday." And she also has four charges against her as of tonight. She ruined her life for a drunken, racist tirade.

http://www.wfae.org/post/charlotte-woman-faces-charges-after-harassing-black-neighbors-telling-them-leave#stream/0

• Sad 2

On 9/23/2018 at 10:57 AM, kermit said:

Nothing new here but the NYT published a blurb on the latest Walkscore results for cities — they make a point to highlight Charlotte as the least walkable of major cities.  Kinda hurts be be listed behind Jville, Nashville (a city renowned for its lack of sidewalks) and Raleigh.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/20/realestate/take-a-walk.html

FAE4639B-F0CF-4758-A3FE-DC576BF34A94.png

Indy can’t win for losing. In recent years it’s dropped a half-billion building/rebuilding sidewalks, improving pedestrian linkages and building dedicated bike lanes.

On 10/7/2018 at 5:16 PM, KJHburg said:

Floridians are moving up here too plus they love our mountains and they will be there en masse in a few weeks. That is a good trick I will start using that too just saying Charlotte and see what they say. 

*Floridian raises hand*