SAN FRANCISCO Rundown: U/C, Approved, Proposed

FourOneFive

I originally posted this on the skyscraperpage california forum. I thought you'd all enjoy it here. I collected the information for skyscrapers.com, sfcityscape.com, the San Francisco Chronicle, and other sources. Enjoy!

Under Construction

St. Regis Museum Tower

function: residential, hotel, museum/ cultural institution

height: 484'

floors: 42

architect: SOM

completion: 2005

Renderings:

srg_cr1b_240.jpg

stregis3_567.jpg

The Metropolitan I and The Metropolitan II

function: residential

height: 250' and 200'

floors: 27 and 22

architect: Heller-Manus Architects

completion: 2004

Renderings:

IMG_1206a.jpg

ACFAB.jpg

New Federal Building

function: office

height: 234'

floors: 18

architect: Thom Mayne and Morphosis

Rendering:

mn_fedbldg.jpg

Bryant Street Seawall I and II

height: 220'/ 135'

floors: 22/ 13

architect: Moore Ruble Yudell

Rendering:

picture6.jpg

250 King Street Mission Place Tower I and Tower II

height: ~160'

floors: 16

completion: 2003

Rendering:

r_001011kingmedtrees_72dpi_548.jpg

* Residents have begun moving into the project and the developers are finishing the landscaping.

UCSF Mission Bay Student Housing

height: 155'

floors: 15

architect: SOM (?)

Rendering:

ucsf_mission_bay_dorms.jpg

199 New Montgomery

height: 150'

floors: 16

architect: Heller Manus Architects

Renderings:

ACF2F.jpg

Approved

These are the projects that are mostly likely to be constructed in the next few years.

301 Mission Street

function: residential, hotel

height: 625'

floors: 58

architect: Gary Edward Handel + Associates

completion: 2006

Renderings:

301-elev.jpg

ba_towers21c.jpg

*Site demolition should take place this spring and construction should begin shortly thereafter.

555 Mission Street

height: 482'

floors: 34

completion: ?

Rendering:

KPF555%20Mission.jpgEast1zoom.jpg

*On hold due to high vacancy in Downtown San Francisco.

The Hemisphere

height: 475'

floors: 51

Rendering:

CenturyFS1lrg.jpgACF6A.jpg

*Site is cleared and construction should begin in May or June of 2004

201 Folsom and 300 Spear Streets

height: podium- 80'; 2 400' towers and 2 350' towers

floors: 40, 40, 35, 35

completion: 2006-2008

Renderings:

ACF7E.jpg

Feature0126_06x.jpg

Feature0126_07x.jpg

ACF80.jpg

* Projects were finally approved on February 3, 2004 by a 10-1 vote at the Board of Supervisors! 1600 units are in the one project.

InterContinental Hotel

function: hotel

height: 320'

floors: 31

architect: Patri Merker Architects

Rendering:

lb1.jpg

(The rendering does not do the project justice!)

* Project will begin construction this year!

New City Office Building Project

function: office, residential

height: the 14 story tower will rise to 150'; the 21 story tower will rise to 200'; and the 24 story tower will rise to 320'

floors: 3 separate towers rising to 24, 21, and 14 stories

Rendering:

22_1.jpg

524 Howard Street

height: 310'

floors: 23

architect: Heller Manus and Robert Frank Architects

Renderings:

524_Howard_St_copy.jpg524Howard_Aeriallrg.jpg

* 524 Howard is on hold as a result of the high office vacancy rate in downtown San Francisco. If entitlements are pulled, another project could move foward. Site is zoned for 450'- 400' (which means >500' with a crown and setbacks).

Exchange Place (350 Bush Street)

height: 250'

floors: 19

architect: Heller Manus

Rendering:

ExchangebushA.jpg

* (See 524 Howard above)

1146-1160 Mission Street

height: 235'

floors: 24

architect: AGI Capital

Renderings:

missionwebready.jpg

* Project was approved by the Board of Supervisors on February 10, 2004.

325 Fremont Street

height: 200'

floors: 20

architect: Baum Thornley Architects

Renderings:

available at http://www.btarchitects.com/indexf.html

Bovet Place

function: residential, retail

floors: 17

architect: Donald Macdonald Architects

bov_north_sm.jpg

*Project was approved in 2001, but no work has been done. In all likelyhood, entitlements have been (or will be) pulled and another project can move into site.

Proposed

One Rincon Hill:

height: 550' and 465'

floors: ?

architect: Solomon Cordwell Buenz & Associates

completion: 2007 (?)

Renderings:

One-Rincon-Hill_03.jpg

* these towers are currently being redesigned to reflect the new height of the towers. they were originally designed to be 2 350' towers.

375 Fremont

height: 350'

floors: 33

architect: Beverly Prior Architects

Renderings:

(none)

* in all likelyhood, this tower will be eliminated under the plan being floated by the Planning Department. Unfortunately, this tower would sit too close to other towers on Rincon Hill.

1177 Market I, II, III, IV, and V

height: 240'

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! There's lots of projects in SF. I like most of the projects, but I especially like 301 Mission Street. Won't it be the 4th tallest building in the city once it's completed?

BTW, welcome to the forum, FourOneFive! :)

Wow, great projects going up in S.F...

It reminds me ALOT of towers being built in my city along the riverfront. Some of those designs are almost indentical to ours, except S.F's are a little taller.

I should add that it's nice to see that SF is putting up skyscrapers again. Maybe they've finally realized that they have to do something about the housing crisis...even if it means building taller buildings (which SF was resistant to for far too long).

Wow! There's lots of projects in SF. I like most of the projects, but I especially like 301 Mission Street. Won't it be the 4th tallest building in the city once it's completed?

BTW, welcome to the forum, FourOneFive!

Thanks! Yeah, I'm really excited about most of the projects going up in SF right now too. Yep, at 625' 301 Mission Street will be the 4th tallest (behind Transamerica, Bank of America, and the California Center) when completed in late 2006/ early 2007. But, it should be knocked down to 5th once the Transbay Tower is completed...

I should add that it's nice to see that SF is putting up skyscrapers again. Maybe they've finally realized that they have to do something about the housing crisis...even if it means building taller buildings (which SF was resistant to for far too long).

Although San Francisco is filled with many NIMBYs, I believe most San Franciscans are supportive of high-rise towers easing the city's housing shortage. There was such a backlash in the 70s and 80s against high-rises because most were poorly designed and placed. There was no overall plan to address transportation, shadow/light/ view corridors, economic benefit, etc. The Transbay and Rincon Hill plans are much more comprehensive and thus are facing far less resistance from the citizen groups. In reality, San Francisco is on a peninsula, and most of our land is developed. The only way to go is up!

• 4 weeks later...

Great thread FourOneFive! It's nice to see a variety of architecture in SF going up.

The "New Federal Building" though - even though I can see that they're trying to be on the creative side here it has that cracked look from that angle along with its base, not sure if that's what's intended. :S

Those projects are really cool and I like the federal building design.

I have never been to SF but are those skyscrapers located near the Castro district?

Is there any huge shopping mall in downtown?

sunshine: none of these new skyscrapers are near the Castro District. Here an aerial view of San Francisco from sfcityscape.com

aerial_guide.jpg

Most of the new skyscrapers are being built in the Financial District, South of Market, Yerba Buena Center area, and Civic Center. As you can see in the map, the Castro district is at the other end of Market Street, at the base of Twin Peaks.

As for shopping, most of it is centered around the Union Square area. Saks Fifth Avenue, Macys, Tiffanys, and Neiman Marcus all have their flagship stores bordering Union Square itself. Nordstrom's flagship store is in the San Francisco Shopping Centre. There was an Emporium adjacent to the Centre, but it closed 1996. It is now being renovated for Bloomingdale's west coast flagship store, the largest Bloomingdale outside of New York City. Together, the expanded mall, with over 1.5 million square feet of retail space, will be the largest urban mall west of the Mississippi.

ba_bloomiemap.jpg

ba_mallgraph.jpg

In addition to the San Francisco Shopping Centre, there's also the Embarcadero Center and Crocker Galleria.

Side note: as part of the Emporium renovation, the developers are lifting the 1908 historic dome 60' to accomodate new floors.

Here a picture of the lift:

ba_dome19143lh.jpg

• 5 months later...

Um...sorry to bother you mr.san fran,but do you think you can find out anything about miami,its cause miami's my city and ive always loved,i think miami can compete with san fran,we're almost up to you,not to mention the new building that will surpass your tallest building,but i do envy san francisco though,cause i wish we had as many people as there are,and as many buildings too.But i want to see things like the things you took out for san francisco,you dont have to show it or anything,just send me a message and show me where you got it(things similar to pictures,height and stories,things like that).Its just a request if you can.

• 1 month later...
:) OOOOOO! A new high-rise nieghborhood, the first of its kind for SF. I've always thought SF is an anti-highrise city (i.e. Nob Hill ppl wanted the Transamerica Pyramid 100m shorter for fear of their view of the bay being impacted). I've never seen much construction activity in SF in the 90's, but some highrises sprang up near 2000. I hope the Rincon Hill-Transbay highrise projects get completed sooned, I'm excited to see what turns out of this deal. I hope they manage it as Vancouver did in redeveloping some rail yards. :thumbsup:

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just watched Vertigo again for about the 25th time, so naturally I had to head over to the SF P&C thread. What precisely is the status on the Transbay Terminal building ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the transbay terminal plan (i.e. the redevelopment plan for the parcels adjacent to the existing transbay terminal) is going before the board of supervisors this tuesday for final approval. unfortunately, none of the parcels can be developed till the transbay terminal is built. in turn, the new transbay terminal hinges on the approval of the high speed rail bond which is scheduled to go before california voters in november 2006 (with the completion of the new terminal in 2012). recently, the govenator has proposed pushing back the hsr bond to 2008 because of budget constraints, which will further delay the construction of the new transbay terminal. and so it goes in california...

the transbay terminal plan (i.e. the redevelopment plan for the parcels adjacent to the existing transbay terminal) is going before the board of supervisors this tuesday for final approval. unfortunately, none of the parcels can be developed till the transbay terminal is built. in turn, the new transbay terminal hinges on the approval of the high speed rail bond which is scheduled to go before california voters in november 2006 (with the completion of the new terminal in 2012). recently, the govenator has proposed pushing back the hsr bond to 2008 because of budget constraints, which will further delay the construction of the new transbay terminal. and so it goes in california...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks. And keep your chin up on the time lag. After all, you could be a Londoner. Have any idea how long it takes to get a decent skyscraper over there ? ;)

• 1 year later...

Most of these are really UGLY. Too bad. Our society seems incapable of producing art anymore, just freakishness.

Rendering:

KPF555%20Mission.jpgEast1zoom.jpg

*On hold due to high vacancy in Downtown San Francisco.

The Hemisphere

height: 475'

floors: 51

Rendering:

CenturyFS1lrg.jpgACF6A.jpg

*Site is cleared and construction should begin in May or June of 2004

201 Folsom and 300 Spear Streets

height: podium- 80'; 2 400' towers and 2 350' towers

floors: 40, 40, 35, 35

completion: 2006-2008

Renderings:

ACF7E.jpg

Feature0126_06x.jpg

Feature0126_07x.jpg

ACF80.jpg

* Projects were finally approved on February 3, 2004 by a 10-1 vote at the Board of Supervisors! 1600 units are in the one project.

InterContinental Hotel

function: hotel

height: 320'

floors: 31

architect: Patri Merker Architects

Rendering:

lb1.jpg

(The rendering does not do the project justice!)

* Project will begin construction this year!

New City Office Building Project

function: office, residential

height: the 14 story tower will rise to 150'; the 21 story tower will rise to 200'; and the 24 story tower will rise to 320'

floors: 3 separate towers rising to 24, 21, and 14 stories

Rendering:

22_1.jpg

524 Howard Street

height: 310'

floors: 23

architect: Heller Manus and Robert Frank Architects

Renderings:

524_Howard_St_copy.jpg524Howard_Aeriallrg.jpg

* 524 Howard is on hold as a result of the high office vacancy rate in downtown San Francisco. If entitlements are pulled, another project could move foward. Site is zoned for 450'- 400' (which means >500' with a crown and setbacks).

Exchange Place (350 Bush Street)

height: 250'

floors: 19

architect: Heller Manus

Rendering:

ExchangebushA.jpg

* (See 524 Howard above)

1146-1160 Mission Street

height: 235'

floors: 24

architect: AGI Capital

Renderings:

missionwebready.jpg

* Project was approved by the Board of Supervisors on February 10, 2004.

325 Fremont Street

floors: 20

architect: Baum Thornley Architects

Renderings:

available at http://www.btarchitects.com/indexf.html

Bovet Place

floors: 17

architect: Donald Macdonald Architects

bov_north_sm.jpg

*Project was approved in 2001, but no work has been done. In all likelyhood, entitlements have been (or will be) pulled and another project can move into site.

Proposed

One Rincon Hill:

height: 550' and 465'

floors: ?

architect: Solomon Cordwell Buenz & Associates

completion: 2007 (?)

Renderings:

One-Rincon-Hill_03.jpg

* these towers are currently being redesigned to reflect the new height of the towers. they were originally designed to be 2 350' towers.

375 Fremont

height: 350'

floors: 33

architect: Beverly Prior Architects

Renderings:

(none)

* in all likelyhood, this tower will be eliminated under the plan being floated by the Planning Department. Unfortunately, this tower would sit too close to other towers on Rincon Hill.

1177 Market I, II, III, IV, and V

height: 240'

Archived