Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mediamongrel

Misspelled and misstated streets in Charlotte

12 posts in this topic

In the Blakeney plaza in south Charlotte there is an actual printed metal sign that reads "Exit to Audrey Kell Rd." I think most people know it is ARDREY KELL RD. Not a big deal, but why wouldn't the plaza check this for accuracy before having metal signs printed up? The person in charge of making that sign should be fired if they can't even spell a street right when the signs are all over the road.

Also, as noted before in the Charlotte forum there are plenty of ads on TV and radio that refer to 521 as "Johnson Rd." when in reality it is Johnston Rd. with a T. How either of these simple mistakes can be made by professionals who claim to be knowledgeable about Charlotte is beyond me.

Sugaw Creek is often and very frequently misspelled Sugar Creek. The name comes from what the Indians used to call themselves that once lived in that part of town and has nothing to do with the sweetener.

Sugaw Creek is often and very frequently misspelled Sugar Creek. The name comes from what the Indians used to call themselves that once lived in that part of town and has nothing to do with the sweetener.

^

Never knew that. Seems like time has forgotten the original meaning, though, as the only thing in that area I ever see spelled 'Sugaw' is the Presbyterian Church over on 'Sugar' Creek Road and N. Tryon.

I too see 'Audrey' Kell Road a lot. It's sad, even on the news they say it like that and put it on their graphics

I've heard newscasters refer to Woodlawn Road as Woodlawn Drive more than once.

In the Blakeney plaza in south Charlotte there is an actual printed metal sign that reads "Exit to Audrey Kell Rd." I think most people know it is ARDREY KELL RD. Not a big deal, but why wouldn't the plaza check this for accuracy before having metal signs printed up? The person in charge of making that sign should be fired if they can't even spell a street right when the signs are all over the road.

I got nowhere on the right-turn lane, but as for the two exit lanes next to Sun Trust, they suggested going to Blakeney Heath Rd and getting to Ardrey Kell from there, which is what their fancy new sign is encouraging.

Connecticut Ave. on the east side was misspelled "Conneticut" up until a few weeks ago. I'm not sure why it changed...

I too see 'Audrey' Kell Road a lot. It's sad, even on the news they say it like that and put it on their graphics

I noticed BRIARCREEK Rd. last night (at Monroe and Briar Creek). Not sure if they intentionally left a space missing between Briar and Creek.

It's probably because they hired some graphics designer or news editor right out of college that still can't spell after a 4 year education. Sad.