A new entertainment district?

Blazer85

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like this plan because it offers another destination for the City Center. It would close enough to the Railroad (Reserve) Park that it would easily tie in to the continuous redevelopment of the Midtown Loft District. I really see many big things for Downtown Birmingham and this is another sign of it. :)

This luxury hotel coming to 20th Street and 5th Avenue North might just give businesses and other entrepreneurs the little nudge they need to become interested in this project. With at least one major hotel nearby, they'll need places for entertainment, shopping, and dining. Of course the Federal Reserve Hotel (19-stories) will also be nearby on like 18th Street I think. Two 4-star hotels will, therefore, be very close to this district. I really see alot of potential here.

I see people asking when they think Birmingham will turn the corner... I think it's already happened. The # of developments and type of developments shows me that downtown is being reborn.

This luxury hotel coming to 20th Street and 5th Avenue North might just give businesses and other entrepreneurs the little nudge they need to become interested in this project. With at least one major hotel nearby, they'll need places for entertainment, shopping, and dining. Of course the Federal Reserve Hotel (19-stories) will also be nearby on like 18th Street I think. Two 4-star hotels will, therefore, be very close to this district. I really see alot of potential here.

I see people asking when they think Birmingham will turn the corner... I think it's already happened. The # of developments and type of developments shows me that downtown is being reborn.

20th Street already is, for all intents and purposes, the "Main Street" of Birmingham. A development such as this (as well as the new luxury hotel) will only solidfy that claim.

There are other important strips like University Blvd and such, but 20th Street has the most potential. It's got the most activity (pedestrian-wise), beautifully landscaped, etc.

20th Street already is, for all intents and purposes, the "Main Street" of Birmingham. A development such as this (as well as the new luxury hotel) will only solidfy that claim.

There are other important strips like University Blvd and such, but 20th Street has the most potential. It's got the most activity (pedestrian-wise), beautifully landscaped, etc.

The guy planning the whole district is planning to have after-work music events for the next 4 months at 19th Street (more or less in front of the McWane Center). He told me that you should probably soon begin hearing it advertised on the Clear Channel-owned radio stations. More or less, this will be used to advertise the district and get the word out.

Couldn't agree more. 20th Street would serve as an excellent "strip" teeming with boutiques, hotels, bars, clubs, restaurants, lounges, cafes, parks, and entertainment. It would definitely become a point of distinction and set up apart from many other southeastern cities.

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like a very lucrative venture for the Downtown area. I like the whole concept because it is building upon what is already there and not having to make they extra steps of building something new or the destruction of anything of historical significance.

Birmingham needs to being serious talks to implement a starter light rail / streetcar line that runs from the BJCC (through this newly proposed district) and to 5 Points. Transit will be critical to the sustainability of these developments. Now is the time for the city to begin actively promoting (in concert with downtown and Southside vendors) the current DART line to increase awareness of the service. Building momentum for the current service will make arguing for light-rail all the more easier.

Birmingham needs to being serious talks to implement a starter light rail / streetcar line that runs from the BJCC (through this newly proposed district) and to 5 Points. Transit will be critical to the sustainability of these developments. Now is the time for the city to begin actively promoting (in concert with downtown and Southside vendors) the current DART line to increase awareness of the service. Building momentum for the current service will make arguing for light-rail all the more easier.

I believe the combination of the 3 things:

1) Gas Prices

2) More City Center residents and activities

3) Progressive leadership

will all force Birmingham to make better efforts to improve for its transit infastructure. We are already drudging the rockbottom when it comes to availability of area transportation alternatives, so we have nowhere to go but up.

• 2 months later...

I recieved this via e-mail yesterday:

Free Street Festival, Every Third Thursday, August 16th, September 20th, October 18th. Time: 5:30pm - 9:00pmMcWane Science Center Plaza19th Street North Between 2nd & 3rd Avenue North. AUGUST 16TH IS JAZZ & BLUES NIGHT. PERFORMANCES BY:FOXXY FATTS & CO; ERIN MITCHELL BANDMOJO BROS. THE MID-ALABAMA CORVETTE CLUB WILL BE ON HAND WITH A DISPLAY OF CONTEMPORARY AND VINTAGE VETTES. If you live, work or visit downtown Birmingham, you won't want to miss this FREE street festival!

GET DOWNTOWN is your chance to experience some of Birmingham's hottest local bands, hang out with friends and enjoy a cold beverage.

Admission is free, but we'll be collecting donations to help restore the beautiful, historic Lyric Theatre.

Stay after the event and enjoy downtown's great variety of restaurants and bars, many of which will be offering Get Downtown specials.

BRING YOUR LAWN CHAIRSCOLD BEER, SOFT DRINKS & FOOD FOR SALETOUR THE LYRIC THEATRE!

• 4 weeks later...

According to public records, an Illinois-based real estate trust has purchased the block 121, located between 20th Street South and Richard Arrington Jr. Boulevard and 1st and 2nd Avenues South, for $4.3M. The block is slated for demolition and there are plans for a $33M apartment and retail complex for the entire city block.

• 3 weeks later...

I know this doesn't have anything to do with this topic, but me and a few friends of mine are heading to the Georgia-Alabama game this weekend. We are coming from Atlanta, and we want to know if there are any cool places in downtown Birmingham to hang out at? We are staying in Birmingham Friday and Saturday night. Any cool bars downtown that we should check out?

Archived