Favorite frozen treat

lammius

Favorite Frozen Treat  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite treat on a hot summer day?

• Ice cream
    • Gelato
    • Italian ice/Water ice
    • Sorbet/Sorbetto
    • Shaved ice
    • Slushy/Slurpee
    • Fruit juices
    • Other (please specify)

The weather is starting to heat up. I took a walk down to the Italian ice cart today for the first time this season, although I nearly decided to go get gelato instead. It was a difficult decision! What are your favorite frozen treats? What are your favorite flavors/brands/shops/sources? Is there a frozen dessert/treat that is unique to your area?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think my fave is Italian ice/Water ice. On a hot summer day nothing is more refreshing, IMO. There are a ton of ice shops all over the NYC region and down the Shore, but the absolute best I've ever ever ever had (and the only type of ice I actually crave) is the Green Apple ice, not from a shop, but from a truck parked alongside the Boardwalk in Ocean Grove, NJ. The flavor isn't overpoweringly sour, nice and smooth. I can't wait for Shore season!

:) The leaves are bursting out here pretty quickly... everything has suddenly turned bright green and it got to 80*F yesterday... which got me thinking a lot about summer. (It's been too long.)

I'd say my favorite treat is ice cream/gelato. Having had ice cream on three continents, there is some variation. Gelato seems to be more gelatinous. It is very tasty, but not very refreshing.

American ice cream is kind of the middle ground, being creamier than European "Gelato" but still just as sweet. My favorites in the summer are Reese's Peanut Butter Cup blizzards from Dairy Queen or Culver's Cookie Dough concrete mixers. For hard-packed ice cream I love vanilla and especially peppermint bonbon.

Japanese Ice cream, on the other hand, is creamier than American ice cream, but not as sweet. It is more refreshing in this way. I loved Japanese ice cream, and I dare say it was some of the best I've had.

Oh, and you forgot root beer floats. There's nothing better than an A&W Root beer float, and it's something that is truly American.

One more question: Am I weird, or does anyone else put maple syrup on ice cream? Or like Maple Nut? Butter Pecan?

A typical refreshment here at family functions is "Sherbet punch". Basically, it's lime-aid concentrate with 7 up, lime sherbet, and half and half. This often goes next to the "Lime jello marshmallow cool whip cottage cheese surprise." :) We can't help but have a tradition of really really bad food. We did give the nation Spam after all.

I've got to go with root beer floats. When I was a kid, my grandad took me to the A&W drive-in and we'd watch the musclecars rump-rump around and have floats. After he died, Grandma would make RBFs for me when we visited.

Homemade peppermint ice cream (we pounded Starlite peppermints packages with a hammer and dumped in the 'crumbs) comes a close second.

A distant thrid is vanilla ice cream sandwiches.

Other good refreshments I grew up with:

Sun tea (let it brew all day out in the sun.. apparently this is dangerous). In the north we drink our tea generally without sugar, though.. maybe some lemon.

We had a Schwann's man come every week and my mom would always buy lots of ice cream to sell to the kids staying at the resort. My favorites were orange-cream push-ups and these bars that had chocolate and vanilla ice cream inside with crunchy chocolate/vanilla bits on the outside.

We also used to get Bridgemann's Ice cream all the time, but I don't think they're around anymore.

Oh, I just looked... Apparently Bridgeman's is almost exclusively a Minnesota thing (as is Schwan's).. and we do have it still, at a local coffee shop you can buy cones. It's the classic "Drug store" ice cream here.

Down here, people drink Mint Juleps---especially around Masters week, when it starts warming up.

I like Long Island ice teas for my favorite drink. It's sweet, cold, and relaxing. Hmmm, lunch is in a few minutes.......

Edit: I really should read through these things before posting. Sorry. Um, I really like those Frappacino things from Starbucks.

Archived