Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

g-man430

River West

19 posts in this topic

I couldn't find the article on the Greenville News website, but it was in the paper this morning on the front page of the Business section. This is a short summary of what the article said:

A 241-acre Westside golf course could become a master planned community with up to 2,136 residential units. River West Properties LLC is asking the Greenville County Planning Commission to rezone the Millstone golf course site on Highway 123 for the proposed River West community. If given final approval by Greenville County Council this summer, the once 18-hole golf course would become a gated community with a mix of single-family houses, multi-family townhouses and condos, and multi-family rental residences. The community would also consist of 165,000 square feet of commercial space, and a minimum of three parks in addition to mini-parks and amenities that would be spread out throughout the neighborhood. There would also be up to 5 miles of community trails and sidewalks, as well as more than 63 acres of community parks. A Greenville County satellite library is in the works for River West too. The entire River West community would take up to 10 years to complete and would be built in phases with the first phase offering residential units starting in the low $200s to the low $300s. Site development could begin in late fall or early winter. River West would be styled as Greenville's "Western Gateway" with its entrance and community appearance being a visual cue to travelers on Highway 123 heading toward Greenville that they are entering a special place.

2,136 residences!? That's awesome! I like that this is more growth in the westward direction, yet still in the county. :thumbsup: I hope that this development gets approval and becomes a hot place to live. I'd love for this to spawn some more development out this way.

^^^Yes, indeed. I don't like the fact it is going to be gated, but I do like how dense it is going to be and how it will include some mixed-use features. :thumbsup:

<<A Greenville County satellite library is in the works for River West too. >>

And I'm wondering how you have a County library in a gated community.

I like the proposed community. I thought it could do well as a golf course community, but it does not seem to fit this area yet.

This should be one catalyst reviving and improving the Easley Bridge Road corridor.

I like the proposed community. I thought it could do well as a golf course community, but it does not seem to fit this area yet.

This should be one catalyst reviving and improving the Easley Bridge Road corridor.

This is good news. I am glad that this golf course is getting reused. Too bad its gated though. Still, it should help clean up that side of town if its attractive.

I do not understand the aversion to gated communities?

^^^Because people that live in them think they're better and richer than everybody else and assume they need to be protected or something from the outside world because of this. There is a reason Verdae, Acadia, and Griffin Park decided not to go gated.

^^^Because people that live in them think they're better and richer than everybody else and assume they need to be protected or something from the outside world because of this. There is a reason Verdae, Acadia, and Griffin Park decided not to go gated.

^^^True. I just don't like it when I want to drive through somewhere like the Cliffs to see what it looks like and they won't let you due to gates or security guards. Luckily, I get to see it anyways every year thanks to the golf tournament.

I don't like gated communities for the same reason that I am not a fan of cul de sac neighborhoods. They do no allow for future traffic flow.

Been wondering about this one. Here is an update. Looks like it is a go. This should be an excellent project for this side of town, and should provide further development for the westside, and infill between Easley and Gville. :thumbsup: Too bad Gville can't annex everything down to this development.

Looks like this development is either indefinitely on hold or cancelled. A driving range has opened where the old one was. Guess the owners want to try and make some money during this economy. Can't say I blame them.