Fighting to bring Atlanta back as the crossroads

Guest donaltopablo

Guest donaltopablo

Crossroads of public transportation would reclaim city's soul

Published on: 04/25/04

Atlanta needs to reclaim its heart.

And if bold ideas presented by Central Atlanta Progress' Imagine Downtown planning process are realized, it will do just that.

JOHN SPINK/AJC

The multimodal station

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That sounds like quite a project. But is it going to be one large tract of land or will they keep the street grid in tact? Or would they expand the street grid? I use the term grid loosely with regards to Atlanta since it has little to no pattern whatso ever.

Guest donaltopablo

Yeah, the grid in Atlanta pretty much is only a small portion of DT Atlanta.

My understanding is that they will save the current grid.

That sounds like quite a project. But is it going to be one large tract of land or will they keep the street grid in tact? Or would they expand the street grid? I use the term grid loosely with regards to Atlanta since it has little to no pattern whatso ever.

The gulch has no streets - if you look at a map it's the big hole bounded by MLK, Techwood (Centinnial Olympic) & Spring. Those streets are all viadects built over the gulch - which extends underneath a few additional blocks. It's an ugly spot if you ever go to Phillips Arena area to the south.

Guest donaltopablo

That is true. My impression would always be that the station would be built underground and street level portions would come up to the street level, which is the reason for my comment that the few streets that run through it will be retained.

Archived