Project Skyline

g-man430

I'm really having trouble wrapping my mind around the sheer size of this. When BMW first invested with their plant here, that was less than 800 million I believe (wasn't living here then). They've done a couple of additions at 200 million and 400 million. That only totals 1.4 billion for a facility where employment tops 4,500 people.

This new development, whatever it is, is 1.9 billion.......5 million more than BMW's total investment. This has to be something HUGE! Wouldn't the state be involved with something of this magnitude? There has to be rumblings out there.....someone must know something. :dontknow:

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Look at the bottom of the second paragraph on page 2, of the bottom PDF link on project "A" (Post #1). It discusses that infrastructure needed is in the "county or city of Greenville."

Also, the top link of Project "C", somewhere on the second page it mentions something about the county "or municipality."

Thanks for the Gilstrap email, but "a lot of speculation" makes it sound pretty iffy.

Do you suppose this could be where the name came from?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/25167

"Project Skyline allows players to play as big-time investors. A new city is being built. First, the Architect draws up his vision, then buildings are built using playing pieces. It's good to try and secure lots of adjacent property as quickly as possible, better still when it's near the street. Because the larger and more valuable a property is, the more rent can be demanded from the other players. Be careful about your opponents' plotting, however; no building is safe from takeover. Who will be the richest property owner of the new city?"

:rofl:

A list of Florida-headquartered companies with 10,000+ employees:

Acosta Inc

Auto Nation Inc

Beall's Inc

Burger King Holdings Inc

Carnival Corp

Chico's FAS Inc

Children & Families Department

Claire's Stores Inc

CSX Corp

Darden Restaurants Inc

DHL Express

Fidelity National Financial

FPL Group Inc

Fresh Del Monte Produce Inc

Harris Corp

Health Management Assoc Inc

Interfoods Of America Inc

Jabil Circuit Inc

Jackson Health Systems

Lennar Corp

Medical Staffing Network Hldng

Norsk Hydro AMERICAS Inc

Office Depot Inc

Osi Restaurant Partners Inc

Precision Response Corp

Publix Super Markets Inc

Republic Services Inc

Rinker Materials Corp

Royal Caribbean Cruises LTD

Ryder System Inc

Southern Wine & Spirits

Spherion Corp

Stein Mart Inc

Sykes Enterprises Inc

Tupperware Brands Corporation

Wackenhut Corp

Walter Industries Inc

Winn-Dixie Stores Inc

Workforce Innovation Agency

Darden (a Fortune 500 Company) has a connection with Greenville through DP3 Architects, Ltd., who designs their numerous restaurants. While I can't imagine them investing this much money anywhere at once, I could definitely see them deciding to move their headquarters here and incorporating several unique elements as part of a larger mixed use development. Something gives me the feeling that whatever happens will include multiple corporations under one master plan. I could be completely wrong with that guess though.

Last night while drifting into sleep mode, a question popped into my imagination asking, "is Greenville the next Orlando?" In a weary daze thoughts can be very bizarre, but the connections were (and still are) pretty scary. We all know how incredibly attractive this area is to us, yet it is even more attractive to those living in other areas where the quality of life is continually being lowered - even to the point when hundreds of people are leaving as fast as they can. Add to this the continual threat of unpredictable violent weather, and you can see why so many look at a city and area like Greenville and fall in love immediately. Okay, now step back and compare the business climate to the weather climate here and the attraction becomes even stronger. People as well as developers have been taking notice of this in greater numbers lately and some of them obviously have money. The mystery remains though - who or what is behind such a potentially massive new investment here? We were just as excited with the announcements of the US Pro Cycling Championships and the Gary Player development. The anticipation and speculation of this new venture is more than half the fun at this point. :shades:

<sidebar> While I know that the code name "Project Skyline" is likely to end up totally unrelated in the end, my hope is very high that it has significantly meaningful implications for downtown. </sidebar>

Darden (a Fortune 500 Company) has a connection with Greenville through DP3 Architects, Ltd., who designs their numerous restaurants. While I can't imagine them investing this much money anywhere at once, I could definitely see them deciding to move their headquarters here and incorporating several unique elements as part of a larger mixed use development. Something gives me the feeling that whatever happens will include multiple corporations under one master plan. I could be completely wrong with that guess though.

Last night while drifting into sleep mode, a question popped into my imagination asking, "is Greenville the next Orlando?"

Sorry, Skyliner, but Darden will never even dream of leaving Orlando...not for Greenville at least. Heck, in my opinion, Smokey Bones is about the most attractive chain they have and that one's troubled to the point that they're overhauling it. To this date, they've not even bothered to open a Smoky Bones/Whatever they're going to call it next in Greenville, a place that I consider a prime untapped market for them. Additionally, the largest investment they've ever made in a short period of time was when they rapidly expanded the failed China Coast chain (remember them?) They're still very much gun shy over that incident and are definitely more cautious about any investment they make anywhere.

As for whether Greenville is the next Orlando? It's not...not by any means. ;)

Whatever these three projects are, I feel they are very closely related to one another, too...perhaps dependent on one another. I suppose time will tell how this all pans out.

Multi-county industrial parks aren't typically in multiple counties. They are a partnership between two counties for taxes and economic incentives from the state.

Really, this could be anywhere in Greenville county.

Archived