Project Skyline

g-man430

If it's a company already located in the state of South Carolina, it doesn't necessarily have to be their headquarters. In fact, I am not sure how many SC-headquartered companies are large enough to warrant this type of investment. It almost certainly has to be a corporation that everyone has heard of with a lot of brand recognition - especially for the type of money we're talking about.

Could BMW be moving its corporate HQ to Greenville from New Jersey?

Could Michelin be moving its corporate HQ from France to Greenville?

What about GE drastically increasing its operations in Greenville?

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for Rolls Royce, as automotive plus aerospace projects of theirs would be a perfect fit here. I don't know if it is realistic, but I think it would be really cool. They could collaborate with ICAR, and also be part of our burgeoning aerospace cluster...

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone else considered the possibility that this could be something in the sports industry? Whomever mentioned NASCAR earlier (it was back at least a couple pages in this thread) may have been onto something, considering one of Greenville's primary magnets at this time may very easily be the automotive industry. Being positioned along I-85 between Atlanta and Charlotte, plus near mountains and big lakes has to add to the appeal, I would imagine. While it may not be NASCAR itself, one could easily assume that something in the motorsports industry would warrant the large-scale "mixed-use" development that is being proposed, including the $115 million worth of infrustructure improvements over time. I have also considered that this could be a completely different sport altogether, although that is even less likely.

Still hoping for something massive downtown though, which reminds me that John Boyanoski wrote a blurb in the TBA a couple weeks ago about a Florida developer planning a new mixed-use development along the Reedy River in the West End area. :whistling:

The guessing game continues...

Has anyone else considered the possibility that this could be something in the sports industry? Whomever mentioned NASCAR earlier (it was back at least a couple pages in this thread) may have been onto something, considering one of Greenville's primary magnets at this time may very easily be the automotive industry. Being positioned along I-85 between Atlanta and Charlotte, plus near mountains and big lakes has to add to the appeal, I would imagine. While it may not be NASCAR itself, one could easily assume that something in the motorsports industry would warrant the large-scale "mixed-use" development that is being proposed, including the $115 million worth of infrustructure improvements over time. I have also considered that this could be a completely different sport altogether, although that is even less likely.

Still hoping for something massive downtown though, which reminds me that John Boyanoski wrote a blurb in the TBA a couple weeks ago about a Florida developer planning a new mixed-use development along the Reedy River in the West End area. :whistling:

I was gonna offer up a far fetched guess, but I think I have answered my own question. A little out there, but one of the Fortune 1000 companies listed earlier was Air Tran Holdings. It's just a guess.

The possibilities are endless and we are probably all wrong. I hate surprises :P

I was thinking it may also have something to do with the PGA, as gsupstate mentioned earlier. The main parts that interest me are the state corporation, the Florida corporation(s), the inclusion of "mixed-use," and the fact that all three projects must happen together. :shades:

I've been hearing some rumors that this could involve county square moving and being put in a new tower downtown at the Cobb Tire site most likely. The county square site would become mixed-use and it would involve Carolina First Center, Verdae, and Magnolia Park Town Center in some sort of way. Remember what state the developers of Magnolia Park are from? This is just a rumor, so do not take it real seriously.

I've been hearing some rumors that this could involve county square moving and being put in a new tower downtown at the Cobb Tire site most likely. The county square site would become mixed-use and it would involve Carolina First Center, Verdae, and Magnolia Park Town Center in some sort of way. Remember what state the developers of Magnolia Park are from? This is just a rumor, so do not take it real seriously.

Cobb Tire is on the County Square site, I actually think the County is their Landlord.

I haven't heard any rumors of the sort, but he may have something there. Gulfside is a Florida Developer with interest in the County Square site maybe after selling Magnolia Park they have offered to build the County a new tower on their current site, maybe were the recycling center is in front of Cobb Tire and then they would get the remainder of the site to develope after the County Moves in to new digs. Or maybe they have given the county a number of possible locations for their new office, like hey choose one of these and we will out you there. And maybe they have a HQ's lined up for the future County Square development.

Why is Office Depot continuing to jump out at me on that list? Does anyone know their situation in Florida?

P.S. Imagine the ill will it would create if we stole SCANA from Columbia. :lol: In all seriousness, I don't think the state government would support that at all - and SCANA doesn't seem to warrant the kind of investment we're talking about here.

Cobb Tire is on the County Square site, I actually think the County is their Landlord.

I haven't heard any rumors of the sort, but he may have something there. Gulfside is a Florida Developer with interest in the County Square site maybe after selling Magnolia Park they have offered to build the County a new tower on their current site, maybe were the recycling center is in front of Cobb Tire and then they would get the remainder of the site to develope after the County Moves in to new digs. Or maybe they have given the county a number of possible locations for their new office, like hey choose one of these and we will out you there. And maybe they have a HQ's lined up for the future County Square development.

This scenario makes sense. But it's that large dollar amount that is still confusing. Couldn't this scenario be accomplished for much less than 2.4 billion?

Don't understand the Carolina First Center or Verdae part of the rumor. :dontknow:

P.S. Imagine the ill will it would create if we stole SCANA from Columbia. :lol: In all seriousness, I don't think the state government would support that at all - and SCANA doesn't seem to warrant the kind of investment we're talking about here.

Well, if the rumor g-man posted is true, then a County offices tower on the current County Square site would certainly give some credence to the "project skyline" name.

I'm still having trouble understanding how the multi-BILLION dollar investment fits in here. This has to be a very large company, and they will still have to have a sizable headquarters plus significant operations somewhere else to make the dollar value add up. I see how the county could be offering County Square space for the corporate HQ, but why are Verdae and Magnolia Park involved? Why would any money be given to those private developers for their projects?!?

Archived