1,000 Acre Project going up in Rock Hill

winthropalum

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were disuccing this in another thread, but this could probably handle its own thread. I didn't realize that there would be so may uses associated with this development. I'm intrigued by the prospect of a shoping center that could rival Carolina Place Mall and the industrial complex as part of this development. The other thread labeled this as pure sprawl, but perhaps this is more than that?

This is actually a different project than the one I mentioned on the other thread. That one is proposed to be built on timber land owned by Celanese near Lancaster County. This one is on the actual site of Celanese directly beside Rock Hill. I hope for the best for this project, but I hope they can preserve more land along the river.

I'm not sure where that other development was discussed- I don't really have time to look for it right this second. Perhaps someone else can provide a link.

I would expect that this new shopping center will not be a "mall' in the traditional sense. The latest trend in commercial retail is to build these power center things. Think Birkdale Village in Charlotte, or Village at Sandhill in Columbia. I know that there are some similar shopping centers on Dave Lyle. Can't think of the name though. Think that, but larger and with more of that "town center" feel to it. That is what I would expect for this site.

This sounds like it could be a great mixed use development. I wonder of the residential component would include condo's, townhomes, and apartments as well as single family homes. I also wonder if a new school would be built in the area to handle the possible influx of new residents.

This sounds like it could be a great mixed use development. I wonder of the residential component would include condo's, townhomes, and apartments as well as single family homes. I also wonder if a new school would be built in the area to handle the possible influx of new residents.

• 2 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived