WVIT NBC 30 Planning New Studio in West Hartford

superstudlyhunk

http://hartfordbusiness.com/news1413.html

They're planning on razing that old studio by New Britain Ave and I-84, and replacing it with a $20M 20,000 SF state of the art facility. I would've preferred them to move their studios downtown where they'd get much more exposure. In cities like New York and Chicago the media studios are transparent and located at street-level, so pedestrians can see right into the broadcast room where the news is being broadcast live. I wish Hartford could keep a media station in the city and have the opportunity to do the same, but it looks like that could be awhile. At least it's West Hartford, not Rocky Hill...

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it was interesting that WVIT is able to design a two story "urban" style building when one of the reasons WFSB rejected the Hartford proposal was because the space in Hartford wasn't big enough. WVIT said the footprint is about half the size of the WFSB studio in Hartford would have been.

I thought it was interesting that WVIT is able to design a two story "urban" style building when one of the reasons WFSB rejected the Hartford proposal was because the space in Hartford wasn't big enough. WVIT said the footprint is about half the size of the WFSB studio in Hartford would have been.

I know it's becoming trendy to bash the mayor and his staff, but the number one reason WFSB is leaving Hartford is because of the Mayor and the way the deal was treated. I am not aware of the entire process, but the parts that I am aware of, placed very unreasonable requests on WFSB and Meredith Corp ( Ch 3's parent Co.) that would have driven anyone away. From requirements for hiring contractors and the penalties imposed by the City, even if the skills or type of contractor weren't available within the City, right down to the physical appearance and exterior materials used on the building. I don't think Perez ever thought they would leave, no matter what, and Ch 3 called his and his Chief of Staff's bluff. All of these documents should be available for people to view, but I'm sure it would be a FOI fight to get them from the Mayor's office, as most things are.

Many Channel 3 employees have made a significant commitment to the City by purchasing homes and condo's in Hartford and I'm sure they aren't thrilled by the commute to Rocky Hill now.

http://hartfordbusiness.com/news1413.html

They're planning on razing that old studio by New Britain Ave and I-84, and replacing it with a $20M 20,000 SF state of the art facility. I would've preferred them to move their studios downtown where they'd get much more exposure. In cities like New York and Chicago the media studios are transparent and located at street-level, so pedestrians can see right into the broadcast room where the news is being broadcast live. I wish Hartford could keep a media station in the city and have the opportunity to do the same, but it looks like that could be awhile. At least it's West Hartford, not Rocky Hill...

• 1 year later...

Hartford Courant

Courant.com

CONNECTICUT PROPERTY LINE

WVIT Set To Air The Future

In New Studio, Local Station Could Expand Content To Talk Shows, Game Shows

By ROBIN STANSBURY

Special to The Courant

March 24, 2009

When the local television station WVIT, Channel 30, decided to build a new studio complex

Archived