West Michigan Storm Pictures

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am waiting for the next big storm to come through, when I have time.

I going to jump into my car and park on the shoulder of 196 near Lake Michigan Drive and see what I can get as far as lightning goes :) I LOVE that view as you're driving into the city.

Did anyone else hear Tornado sirens go off tonight around 10:40pm? I was out walking and just about freaked. The siren at Wealthy/Eastern went off for about four minutes and then nothing.

It will be an interesting stormy night...

Bill Steffen last night said the siren must have been a false alarm. There were no tornado warnings last night.

Here's a collection of storm aftermath pictures I saw late this morning after working at a local school. Good thing I always have my camera in the car. These two trees must have taken a massive lightning strike. The big one probably won't last the next wind storm, as it is completely split in two about halfway up. The pouring rain messed with the focus:

480012476_2c55325df6.jpg

480012490_0b9eaf946f_b.jpg

Shrapnel, around the base of the tree and flung into the yard next door to this house:

480012500_36865745c6.jpg

480012510_e09939c67e_b.jpg

480012526_ea59687e47_b.jpg

When I was about 10, a tree across the road from our house was struck by lightning and exploded as we were sitting on our covered front porch watching the storm roll in. Chunks of the tree as big as canoes were flung over 100' away from the tree, including into our front yard. My ears rang for hours and the bright light of the lightning was embedded in my eyeball for a good 5 - 10 minutes! :o:scared::cry:

The GRPD should have notified the media about the false alarm siren ASAP. I was all over the web and had the weather channel on trying to find out what happened.

The last place I want to be during a tornado is walking through the street construction on Wealthy, you know with the mass amount of concrete watermain connectors flying around.

Keep in ind ther sirens in Ottawa and Kent counties are tested at noon on the first Friday of each month during the May through October season -- barring actual inclement weather.

Hearing them is a good thing. ;-)

And, yes, they rotate.

Archived