Tallahassee History

fsubelch

This may be a fun topic. Though I have not lived in Tallahassee very long, a lot has changed since I have gotten here. It would be nice to hear some stories of what used to be here and what used to be there. Does anyone here remember when the first Wal Mart came to town, what about when the malls opened? Stuff like that. Please add if you know any history in Tallahassee. What was Frenchtown like years ago, I believe I heard there used to be quite a bit of shopping...

One place in particular I would like to know about is the building behind Hooters. What used to be there? I know there was a publix in part of the building, but the other side, the side toward Monroe St. looked to be some sort of shopping mall?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember when the first Wal-Mart in the state of Florida was built next door in Quincy. I know it is not Tally but. The building behind hooter was the NorthWood Mall. I cant remember what all was in there b/c I was to young. I do remember going there. I kinda remember the Gov Square Mall opening.

^ Cool topic...I love history, especially local history! GhostOfTheSuwanee always seemed to know a lot about local history but I haven't seem them on the forum lately. I look forward to learning more about our area's past.

When exactly did development start on Killearn? We were viewing a house for sale up there yesterday, and according to the homeowner, it was built in 1970. I thought Killearn wasn't developed until the mid-to-late 1970s?

Since I'm into road history too, I'm interested to see what Thomasville Road was like as a little old 2-lane highway, as opposed to the monster it is today :)

I think Killearn started in the mid-late 60s. If I'm not mistaken.

Killearn Properties, Inc., began in 1964, with the idea of creating communities that would cater to the lifestyles of the upwardly- mobile middle class. Through recent years, the company has been extraordinarily successful in achieving this goal and has been credited with "changing the way people live."

Killearn, headed by J.T. Williams and now in the second generation of Williams family leadership, has developed two 4,000-acre master planned communities in Tallahassee, Florida, known as Killearn Estates and Killearn Lakes Plantation.

Somewhat on the topic of history- aside from going to the Florida Archives to search photos and reviewing property ownership records, etc., does anyone know of a good way to research past use info, obtain pictures, etc. for older commercial properties in Tallahassee? Thanks.

Somewhat on the topic of history- aside from going to the Florida Archives to search photos and reviewing property ownership records, etc., does anyone know of a good way to research past use info, obtain pictures, etc. for older commercial properties in Tallahassee? Thanks.

I remember the 2 laned Thomasville road. I use to hate going out by Killearn. It seemed like it took forever due to the really crazy traffic! I also remember the No Blair Stone Rd signs. I kind of laugh now when driving on the new parts of Blair Stone Rd.

What is funny is that Tallahassee has changed immensely even since 1998. It would be interesting to compare 1998 Tallahassee to 2008 Tallahassee. Almost every one of the 1998 pictures would look singnificantly changed even now. In 2008 we will have the Tennyson, Tallahassee Center, Plaza Tower, and hopefully Florida Retail Federation Building and Floridan under construction.

^ Chuckie Cheese & DZ? Gosh...I feel really old now...Ha! :lol:

I know some of you have to remember when our public library was located in the old NorthWood Mall.

Just yesterday I talked with an older lady that grew up with her 3 brothers & 2 sisters in the house at 6th & Thomasville that is now Chez Pierre. She said Thomasville Road was just a small 2 lane rutted dirt path & 6th Avenue wasn't even there yet when she was little. She said they played in a vacant meadow that stretched out to 2 lane US 27 / North Monroe Street & said her brothers would hunt on vacant land all around them. In her words, "We lived way out in the boonies & didn't think Tallahassee would ever grow out to where we were living." She said "everything was downtown then & it was quite a hike to get to anything." Her Father owned a hardware store downtown & her Uncle owned the local ice plant downtown. My how times change!

I remember the days when it seemed we had a Quincy's on every corner and Ryan's was safe to eat.

I also remember when there was a ABC Liquor store North of Thomasville Road almost on the GA line.

Oh Yeah... anyone remember the Po Folk's restaurant?

I remember the days when it seemed we had a Quincy's on every corner and Ryan's was safe to eat.

I also remember when there was a ABC Liquor store North of Thomasville Road almost on the GA line.

Oh Yeah... anyone remember the Po Folk's restaurant?

There is a great website called "Tallahassee Then and Now" created by Donald Draughon (a Tallahassee native). It's been around for sometime and hasn't been updated in over 3 years but never the less has a lot of great historic photos. One thing I like the most about his site is how Don combines an old shot with a recent one to give you a perspective on how the area has changed over time. Tallahassee Then and Now

mstan I've seen that website several times, but I never grow tired of looking at it.

THIS PHOTO along w/many others on this site confirm my long understanding that Palm Trees have always been part of the Tally landscape. In this photo which is just two blks from my house shows Mexican Fans lining part of Monroe.

I really like seeing downtown so alive. Call me odd if you will, but I'd much rather shop in an area like our downtown use to be than in the A/C comfort of our disco mall.

If you notice on many of the downtown photos, the signs show Monroe and T'ville road at the split are designated as US 319. This of course was before Cap. Circle was built and the designation was moved out there.

Archived