Tallahassee History

fsubelch

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember that. Once again it was during my first round of living here....way back when I was a student at FSU. If my memory serves me correctly, it was originally built as an outlet mall. Hey they were really "hott" and the "new thing" back in the 80's. The problems w/it were that area was out of town back then and away from the main flow of shopping traffic. Also the mall did not have many national retailers. I'm not sure if they even had a large anchor??? Most of the shops were locally run places and b/c of that lack of buying power the "deals" were not that great. Later on the place became more like a flea market than an outlet mall. Of course when I moved back to town years later, it was a supermarket and state offices.

As psycuda has stated before, maybe once the state offices move out of there, the place can be demolished and something more appropriate for that high-volume corner can be built.

I am with TJ on this, Krystals is the best! Arby's is kind of nasty and overpriced for what it is. There used to be a Krystals in Thomasville, GA but that one closed about 6 months ago. I think the closest is in Live Oak, Exit 283 on I-10, I hit it up on my way to Jacksonville.

Krystal restaurants have opened and gone out of business in three distinct times periods. Back when I was attending FSU in 1983, there was a Krystal's on west Tennessee Street that was open 24 hours. It closed in 1985. Then a second Krystal's opened up a few years later after I moved back to Tallahassee and it stayed around for a couple of years then closed. Then sometime in the 90's, a third series of Krystals opened, stayed around for a couple of years, then all went out of business. I don't know why Tallahassee can't maintain a Krystal's. Is the one in Thomasville still around? If not, then the closest one I know of is way down in Lake City.

Archived