Tallahassee History

fsubelch

Other than a few visits in the early 90's to lobby for graduate assistant raises and to see the Smashing Pumpkins and Moody Blues in concert, I can only go back to 97. For me, the major difference is Ocala Road and West Tennessee. The new Publix, the Walgreens where the burned out Whataburger was, the new FSU stuff across from the new Publix, and all the new college apartments are markedly different than what was there when I moved to Ocala Road in 97.

The most important change since 97, which no one could possibly contest, was the opening of the two Arby's.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am with TJ on this, Krystals is the best! Arby's is kind of nasty and overpriced for what it is. There used to be a Krystals in Thomasville, GA but that one closed about 6 months ago. I think the closest is in Live Oak, Exit 283 on I-10, I hit it up on my way to Jacksonville.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in elementary school when it hit (Kate Sullivan). Since we got a week off after the storm while town got straightened out, my aunt and uncle drove my sister and I down to watch a space shuttle blast off.

Our house was one of the few in the neighborhood that didn't wind up with a major repair needed (we just lost a section of fence). I do remember my mom being a little mad, because she had a dozen fruit cakes in the oven when we lost power.

I was here for Kate too. It was my first time living here and I was a college student living in an apartment off of Pensacola. I was aware of Kate coming b/c the day before my parents had to leave Mexico Beach b/c of the storm. This was the third time they were ordered to evacuate that year. Two different times they had to leave for the same storm, Elena. They were going to come here to Tally like they usually do, but the weather folks said it would probably head this way, so they fled to my brother's place in Alabama. Good thing they did b/c Kate came ashore as a Cat 2 in MB.

My roommate and I went to Publix w/the gals that lived next door to pick up some supplies. This was in the late afternoon and it was already raining I remember. Publix at Northwood was very crowded but not crazy like these places get nowadays. They didn't hype the 'canes back in these days, so the fear wasn't as great. Kate struck really hard that night. I remember the sliding glass door at the apt. we were all were in...I think there were about 10 of us, kept buckling and you could here it move. As crazy college kids, we tried to go outside a few times, but the wind was so hard, it actually scared us. We could hear limbs and trees falling all over the place. Of course the lights went out right at the start of it and as you know most folks didn't get power for at least a week, many 2 weeks and some a month. I remember there being what we thought was the eye...I'm not sure if it was or not, but the winds did calm to an almost stop and then picked up again.

I remember the next day the whole town looked like a war zone. No one had power, all the traffic lights were out or even down. I remember us riding around just a little, it was actually pretty hard to do so b/c it was so hard to get around b/c every street was blocked w/trees or tree limbs, but I do remember Tharpe (it was 2 lane then) was a total disaster. We could not even tell it was a street.

They closed FSU for at least a week, if not more, hard to remember since T-giving break was in there too. All of us students pretty much left the day after Kate b/c there was no power here and we did not return until most of the power in the university area was restored.

Kate taught me that any sustained winds in Tally over 50mph mean big trouble. Forget Cat 3 and above, all this town needs is a direct hit from a strong Tropical Storm or Cat 1 hurricane and it will be shut down for weeks.

With all of the talk of open air malls these days, Tallahassee used to have one (Well Sort Of).

Does anyone remember the shopping complex that was near the intersection of Capital Circel NW and W. Tennessee St. It was directly behind the McDonalds there. Now its just a bunch off State Offices. I can remember going there a very long time ago to the shops there were there. The shops were not lined up like a typical strip mall, but instead spaced around with walkways connecting them. If I remember correctly since it was so far out on the edge of town it did not last very long. At the time there were no Wal-Marts and other businesses that far out.

Archived