Wireless hotspots in Alabama cities

Southron

Montgomery began free wi-fi service on April 24th of this year. Wireless hotspots are currently located in Court Square downtown and at the Montgomery Zoo - Mann Museum. Marked by new signage, the coverage area extends about a block in each direction around Court Square. The city wants to facilitate the creation of free wireless hotspots throughout the Montgomery area.

Kudos to Montgomery city leaders for making this happen. Hopefully this will help generate more foot traffic, with more patrons for downtown businesses.

Link: http://www.montgomeryal.gov/depts/it/wifi-locations.aspx

Click here for a map of the Court Square coverage area.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm planning to check that out. i drove around bham last night looking for a hot spot, not realizing there was open access downtown. i ended up on southside near a closed restaurant that still had its connection up.

is the downtown access financed by the city of bham? anybody know?

here's what big spring park in huntsville instructs to access the public wi-fi network:

481307116_5b22c4b08e_o.png

you only get three free hours per month. i'm not sure how you go about securing extra time - i'm sure a credit card is involved.

the web access in big spring is severely restricted by a number of filters for both content and certain types of dynamic HTML - i couldn't access the UP subforums there, but i could look at the main page. ANY mention of the F word in any page's html text will bar that page from displaying. i imagine other profanities would give you the same result.

but hey, like the tattoo of a turd a friend of mine once got...it's free.

. . . . . .

i drove around bham last night and picked up wireless signals in a lot of places downtown - however, i'm not sure whether they were public connections or just open connections that nearby residents and businesses had not bothered to secure. every time i changed locations and logged on, the network had a different name. and, at no time was i redirected to any kind of 'welcome to the city of bham's wireless internet'-type login / TOS page. so i'm not sure what i was using, but it worked. i parked at curbs on 1st & 3rd aves. north, and somewhere a little further north on 20th street, and i got connections at all spots. YMMV, though.

of course all of these spots were directly in front of buildings. i have no idea whether bham has wireless access in any open spaces.

i also thought i'd try a couple of spots around 5 pts south, since that's a nerd demographic hotbed (in the daytime, anyway). no luck on 20th in front of planet smoothie (i did get the fee-based tmobile signal from starbucks nearby, as well as a password-protected signal from the boutique glasses store - iiis), and no luck in front of cosmo's pizza - nothing. it was 3:30 in the morning, but i doubt the city would constrain its connections to business hours (though a lot of businesses certainly do).

UAB has signal galore, though you have to enter a password (presumably only for students; i don't know whether they have guest access - i tried 'guest' and 'blazers' and neither worked.) i hate that some universities (UAH and UAB that i know of) don't offer open wi-fi. UAH doesn't even offer it in the damn library. auburn and tuscaloosa have no problem offering open connections in their libraries...what's the big deal?

here's what big spring park in huntsville instructs to access the public wi-fi network:

481307116_5b22c4b08e_o.png

you only get three free hours per month. i'm not sure how you go about securing extra time - i'm sure a credit card is involved.

the web access in big spring is severely restricted by a number of filters for both content and certain types of dynamic HTML - i couldn't access the UP subforums there, but i could look at the main page. ANY mention of the F word in any page's html text will bar that page from displaying. i imagine other profanities would give you the same result.

but hey, like the tattoo of a turd a friend of mine once got...it's free.

. . . . . .

i drove around bham last night and picked up wireless signals in a lot of places downtown - however, i'm not sure whether they were public connections or just open connections that nearby residents and businesses had not bothered to secure. every time i changed locations and logged on, the network had a different name. and, at no time was i redirected to any kind of 'welcome to the city of bham's wireless internet'-type login / TOS page. so i'm not sure what i was using, but it worked. i parked at curbs on 1st & 3rd aves. north, and somewhere a little further north on 20th street, and i got connections at all spots. YMMV, though.

of course all of these spots were directly in front of buildings. i have no idea whether bham has wireless access in any open spaces.

i also thought i'd try a couple of spots around 5 pts south, since that's a nerd demographic hotbed (in the daytime, anyway). no luck on 20th in front of planet smoothie (i did get the fee-based tmobile signal from starbucks nearby, as well as a password-protected signal from the boutique glasses store - iiis), and no luck in front of cosmo's pizza - nothing. it was 3:30 in the morning, but i doubt the city would constrain its connections to business hours (though a lot of businesses certainly do).

UAB has signal galore, though you have to enter a password (presumably only for students; i don't know whether they have guest access - i tried 'guest' and 'blazers' and neither worked.) i hate that some universities (UAH and UAB that i know of) don't offer open wi-fi. UAH doesn't even offer it in the damn library. auburn and tuscaloosa have no problem offering open connections in their libraries...what's the big deal?

free wifi at these Alabama airports

Birmingham International Airport - Birmingham

Huntsville International Airport - Huntsville

Madison County Executive Airport - Huntsville

Montgomery Regional Airport (Dannelly Field) - Montgomery

• 8 months later...

Libraries add Wi-Fi, self-checkout, laptop use to services

The entire Jefferson County Library Cooperative will have free wi-fi service accessible. All 39 libraries in Jeffco will all have wifi accessibility by April 30. This is being paid for by a $4,000 Library Services Technology Act grant that the Cooperative recieve last fall. Also most Shelby County libraries except Harpersville and Wilsonville are wifi accessible, and the main Shelby County library branch, the Harrison Regional Library, in Columbiana is adding this service next month.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived