Downtown Holland Retail and Streetscape Phototour

GRDadof3

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't spent a lot of time in Holland, but it doesn't seem like they have completely sold their soul to the car, so getting places via car can be a real hassle. In GR, even if I am downtown, I can get around pretty easily, especially since there is such easy access to 131 and 196. To me, its all about hassle. In GR, people think that a ten minute drive to some suburban destination is less hassle than going downtown. In Holland, the downtown area is smaller, parking is free and, and the whole thing is simpler. People probably think that its more hassle to get to some suburban location, so they shop downtown. In GR, people probably get intimidated by the large parking ramps, having to pay for parking, not knowing when the meters are enforced, and not knowing where everything is. In Holland, everything is on or right off of 8th Street.

The other part is perception. I think for a lot of people, downtown GR is "dangerous" even though it most certainly is not. I think people view downtown Holland as a cutesy, safe, whitebread shopping area, so no one is afraid to go there.

Does anyone know what the difference is between rent in Holland and rent in GR? I'll bet that retailers of all sizes would be more willing to take a risk where the rents are cheaper.

There seriously cannot still be the perception that downtown Grand Rapids is dangerous? I lived there for damn nearten years never had an issue. I'd give my left nut to go back right now.

No, I think the perception of crime was lesser of a concern than parking according to that perception study Dad showed. If you have parking and access rated highest above crime you know that its probably not a great problem.

I remember when i was a kid and Ed Prince was buying one vacated building after another downtown, remodeling some, turning others into some of the "green spaces" that GRDad showed. In hindsight it's silly, but i remember a lot of people being suspiscous of all this money he spent...waiting for him to change the city to "Princeville" or something. Today we see some of what he envisioned. Holland was fortunate to have someone who truley loved the city making those moves.

I don't know what GR can learn from all of this. Having a busy street devoted to retail couldn't hurt...think magnificent mile. I know I've gone into downtown GR for events, food, and nightlife, but i don't think i've ever "shopped" there. Holland's DT has the advantage of a limited number of north-south routs and one of them going right through DT. Having Business 196 (chicago Dr) bring traffic directly into the retail areas has to help as well. I guess, if I was going to set up some retail in GR's DT I'd do all i can to take advantage of the foot traffic from the parking ramps to the arena. Heck, they are ALREADY out of their cars and on foot! Ever walked around DT Saugatuck with a lady? She'll tug ya into every shop with a cute top, strange trinket, or jewlry (argh!) in the window.

I remember when I was a kid and Ed Prince was buying one vacated building after another downtown, remodeling some, turning others into some of the "green spaces" that GRDad showed. In hindsight it's silly, but I remember a lot of people being suspicious of all this money he spent...waiting for him to change the city to "Princeville" or something. Today we see some of what he envisioned. Holland was fortunate to have someone who truly loved the city making those moves.

Archived