Who Do We Monument?

Rizzo

Out of all the people to come to pass from Grand Rapids (that have affected local history, society, or the world ), who should we memorialize in a monument and why? Who should be memorialized on the grandest of scale and who on the smallest?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Out of all the people to come to pass from Grand Rapids (that have affected local history, society, or the world ), who should we memorialize in a monument and why? Who should be memorialized on the grandest of scale and who on the smallest?

My list would include:

Two astronauts

Roger B. Chaffee

Jack Lousma

One boxer:

Stanley Ketchel

maybe two if Mayweather stands the test of time...

and of course:

Paul Henry

Gerald Ford

Oh, and Del Shannon was technically born in GR, although I doubt Coopersville would give him up!

I would agree with Del Shannon and Roger B. Chaffee.

I'd love to see a statue of Belknap and Lyon representing their disdain for each other, which shaped the streets downtown.

Joe

My list would include:

Two astronauts

Roger B. Chaffee

Jack Lousma

One boxer:

Stanley Ketchel

maybe two if Mayweather stands the test of time...

and of course:

Paul Henry

Gerald Ford

Oh, and Del Shannon was technically born in GR, although I doubt Coopersville would give him up!

Joe, very clever...! In fact I think the two rivals in one statue or setting will be awesome, mind if I conceptualize it?

I'm thinking of a Ford and Campau monument with a water feature -- top of my list.

Indeed, I did! Sorry about that. Rizzo, that would be awesome to see. I've had a concept in my mind for a while now. Lyon on one side of Monroe Center, Campau on the other. Two large statues playing out that Lyon did not want to connect the streets. Kind of a line in the sand type gesture.

Joe

Place it somewhere along Division.. the one street they agreed to connect, between Lyon and Pearl, perhaps with them arguing with a line or wall between them at the base, with a little passage through labeled "Division".. with a diagonal grid texture below Campau's feet and a Horiz/Vert. grid texture below Lyon's. Have it integrated into the sidewalk without a base so pedestrians can see those details, with a plaque describing the situation and explaining why Division is named so.

Archived