Kimsey Highway on Youtube (Corridor K)

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also feel that the Kimsey Hwy is a bad idea. I drove the full length from Hwy 30 to Hwy 68 back in November 06'. What a pretty drive it was. There are a few places where huge TVA transmission cables go through and break up the woods, but overall it feels quite untouched.

I have driven, hiked and four wheeled this state forest road many times and it's raw beauty and un-touched feeling is something that should be preserved for all generations to come. Even though it's referred to as "Kimsey Highway" the word highway is kind of a misnomer, it's not a highway at all. It's a gravel one lane state forest road in the heart of the Cherokee National Forest with a very rich history. It's original origin was an Indian foot path trail that went from Benton across Chilhowee Mountain and Little Frog Mountain all the way to Ducktown. In 1915 a prominent local doctor by the name Lucius Ezel Kimsey was pushing a new road along the old indian path because the Old Copper Road was in such disrepair. The road was completed and opened in 1920 and was named Kimsey Highway in his honor. It was considered an excellent road for it's time now that automobiles were slowly replacing horses in the Copper Basin. Shortly after it's opening it was designated Tennessee Highway 40 by the Tennessee Highway Department. It was rebuilt in 1960 as a service forest road and is still maintained by the forest service today. There is a movement currently today to try and add it to the National Register of Historic Places and it would be ashamed to see the roadway turned into a 4 lane interstate like highway.

Ocoeerunner

Archived