Crazy Idea!

mr. chips

Does anyone know how long the two big mines on both sides of the river in Cayce and Olympia will be operational? Wouldn't it be great if someday they could fill them in with water and make two parallel lakes right near our downtown area? They could be used for recreation, as parks, residential - it could be really unique, and beautiful and a great attraction for Columbia. And it would do incredible things for redeveloping those areas of the city. Wow - the potential!

If you haven't seen the aerial view, take a look at this link (you may need to click on Aerial Image in the upper right corner of the map):

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?count...;submit=Get+Map

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it will happen in my lifetime. Those pits are far from tapped out. It is a pretty cool idea.

I still, and I know y'all have razzed me about this, think it would be a cool idea to build a lighthouse at the confluence of the Broad and Saluda. Sure, it is pointless, but it would look really cool and be a signature for Columbia.

I don't think it will happen in my lifetime. Those pits are far from tapped out. It is a pretty cool idea.

I still, and I know y'all have razzed me about this, think it would be a cool idea to build a lighthouse at the confluence of the Broad and Saluda. Sure, it is pointless, but it would look really cool and be a signature for Columbia.

^ Perhaps they could use the lighthouse to warn people along the river of rising waters, equiped with a siren and a light beam that switches to red (or some other color) when in warning mode. Also, an observation deck at the top would bring visitors looking for a killer view of the surroundings and skyline :thumbsup:

Columbia was also a break-bulk shipping hub that relied on the Congaree for most of its history before that time. The warehouse/industrial district that used to be by the river, as well as the railroads that later served them, were where they were for that reason. The issue I have is that I think the same effect coudd be accomplished in a more tasteful manner. This is just a personal preference as I dislike things that are so blatantly out of context. Columbia is not a marine town, so lets leave the marine stuff to the coast.

Someone sure is a big fat kill joy :whistling:

N E Who,

I think a giant light house in the middle of one of them there rivers would be really cool! :yahoo: It would add something for people to come see, and an observation deck on top would be something I would visit often, especially as our city grows!

I wish Blue Sky would com back and make it his biggest project ever! It would have to be huge though! And as for outa place...outa place is cool! Its something called a shock :shok: factor...I mean we are talking about putting it near water, and columbia is kinda named for Chris Columbus, who "sailed here," and at some point from my history readings, somebody, during some century, sailed down one of those figgin rivers! :dontknow:

Great Idea...I hope someone with some money to throw around is reading!

Archived