Worlds Fair 25th anniversary (1982) Knoxville

Just wondering... was anyone here at the KWF on May 1, 1982 ? If so, what do you remember/enjoy most about it?

Does anyone have any photos from the fair? I saw some old footage today on WBIR Knoxville this evening.

Also, did anyone go to the festivities today?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was there, but I have to look at pictures to know it. I was only 2. My parents have an original program from the World's Fair at their house on the book shelf. I looked at it a few times over the years to laugh at the short shorts and the funny hair. I wish I had been older when it took place. It looks a lot like Epcot at Disney with all the future innovation ideas on display. Oh how I would enjoy that kind of event today!

I was there. I came in from San Francisco to go back and see what Knoxville had done for the World's Fair. My impressions were that it was much cheaper than the other World's Fairs that I had been to and smaller. The one thing that most impressed me was the Chinese Pavilion. The Chinese Pavilion had examples of the clay soldiers and horses from the tomb of the First Emperor. I had always wanted to see them in real life. It was not the same as seeing the hundreds in the trenches where they were dug up, but it was impressive none the less. Another fun thing about the Chinese Pavilion was that the rest of it was largely a bazaar. It was very obvious that they were trying to sale as much of whatever as they could. Very Capitalist.

I was there as well, and enjoyed it a lot. There were big crowds. I forget a lot of the details now, since it was so long ago, but I remember going into several large energy company exhibits that were very good. There was a lot of information on solar energy and alternative fuels. It's a shame that progress in these areas over these past 25 years has been so slow.

I went too. I was twelve, and it was my first trip to Knoxville. I don't remember much of the town, but boy! do I remember the fair. We had a great time.

I thought the pile of bricks from the Great Wall in the China pavillion was a big letdown. The fun we had was mainly just being kids and checking out all the weird "energy themed" exhibits. For some reason, I remember the Australian pavilion the most with a lot of exhibits on solar energy.

Archived