615 South College (Portman Office Tower near Westin)

CarolinaDaydreamin

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but its days like today where the forum is buzzing that are so exciting!! Tryon Place speculation, Portman, The Bearden.....amazing amazing stuff. 2017 is certainly looking to be 2010 part deux

By end of 2017 we should see the completion of:

Tryon Place (hopefully)

Light Rail Extention

300 S Tryon St

SkyHouse site build out (hopefully)

Portman

1st Ward Park

The Bearden (hopefully)

Renovation of the Carolina Theater (hopefully)

plus all the smaller scale projects. Exciting times here in Charlotte.

(Moderator note: Don't forget to find the existing threads for topics)

That is a very nice design improvement to make it actually stand out as a separate building, but have something in common with the Westin next door.    I love that they are retaining the green roof plaza over the parking deck, too. 

June is awfully far away.  I hope they are making progress on a tenant, and not just seeking buzz to still find a tenant by playing rendering-release games. 

They rebuild the façade of the deck, and obviously repurpose the structure near College from parking spaces to lobby.  I think since they always planned it, they don't have to rebuild from the ground up, they'll just make it look different with a new curtain wall (like BofA did at Founder's Hall).    

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Project Inspections & Plans were submitted today (not viewable yet though), so I'd say this baby is ready to roll!

S. College Street
This project proposes to develop a 16 story 370,000 SF office tower along N. Church Street on top of the existing parking garage, which will remain on the parcel. Portions of the sidewalk and pavement will be removed and replaced. Private water service will also be added as part of this development.

Not exactly sure why it says N Church St though hahaha. Also, wasn't it going to be 19 stories? Did it shrink? The SF didn't get smaller, so who knows.

Project Inspections & Plans were submitted today (not viewable yet though), so I'd say this baby is ready to roll!

S. College Street

This project proposes to develop a 16 story 370,000 SF office tower along N. Church Street on top of the existing parking garage, which will remain on the parcel. Portions of the sidewalk and pavement will be removed and replaced. Private water service will also be added as part of this development.

Not exactly sure why it says N Church St though hahaha. Also, wasn't it going to be 19 stories? Did it shrink? The SF didn't get smaller, so who knows.

its 16 floors on top of 3 stories of parking, therefore, 19 floors.

I'm willing to bet my house that The Charlotte City Club moves to this building. They are shopping for a new space, approximately 20-30k sq feet. with great views. While i feel Portman is a downgrade as far as height and view, however, having been to the Charlotte City Club a couple dozen times in my life, I can say the Club has always lacked an outside area. Portman will have an amazing sky terrace and this would be a huge selling feature for City Club attracting new members. 

CCC just completed a pretty big renovation, though. Moving so soon?

Your company did the Reno right? 

The bulk of their renovation was in 2006 and another round in 2013. It looks great, but for whatever reason Charlotte City Club is looking to move on, mostly because of the complaints about the constraints of their parking deck, which is treacherous. 

We did. I had gathered that it had been performing well for them, but as you say folks are beginning to appreciate what outdoor space can do

My parents are no longer members as of a few years back, but I've been to a couple "social gatherings" since the renovation was done. The renovations are top notch, absolutely wonderful. But I've been going to the City Club for the past 15-20 years and the biggest complaint has always been the parking. My sister had her rehearsal dinner (100+ People) at the City Club and the parking situation was horrendous. I've been there countless times where the parking deck was full and we had to park elsewhere and walk. I know we all wish for the city to become less autocentric, but the members of the city club are not your average citizens, and they will always rely on their Benzs, Beamers Lexus and Bentleys. 

My parents are no longer members as of a few years back, but I've been to a couple "social gatherings" since the renovation was done. The renovations are top notch, absolutely wonderful. But I've been going to the City Club for the past 15-20 years and the biggest complaint has always been the parking. My sister had her rehearsal dinner (100+ People) at the City Club and the parking situation was horrendous. I've been there countless times where the parking deck was full and we had to park elsewhere and walk. I know we all wish for the city to become less autocentric, but the members of the city club are not your average citizens, and they will always rely on their Benzs, Beamers Lexus and Bentleys. 

Perhaps, then, they should move the City Club to Ballantyne.  

City Club has a lease through 2020. It is appropriate for them to begin thinking of a new place. Doing some crazy speculation. Connecting BOA ending the lease for CMPD at College and 7th with a potential office multi use facility on that site and one can imagine one super downtown view from the 40th floor of that building. A master complex like that would take several years to build out, fitting their timeframe, and the existing City Club site would be an easy release.

Archived