615 South College (Portman Office Tower near Westin)

CarolinaDaydreamin

For some reason, I was stuck on trying to figure out how recent the actual photo behind the rendering is. I zoomed way in and could faintly see the Wachovia crane. They tried to paint over the crane for this image.

Also, I wouldnt think that Trump would be affected by this project, rather the Trump deal helped dictate the size of this tower. Anyone remember the office cube that was orginally supposed to go on top of the Westin deck? That plan sure grew up a little bit! :tough:

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For some reason, I was stuck on trying to figure out how recent the actual photo behind the rendering is. I zoomed way in and could faintly see the Wachovia crane. They tried to paint over the crane for this image.

Also, I wouldnt think that Trump would be affected by this project, rather the Trump deal helped dictate the size of this tower. Anyone remember the office cube that was orginally supposed to go on top of the Westin deck? That plan sure grew up a little bit! :tough:

I think it said in the article that an 11-story office was originally planned. It went on to say they changed it from offices to condos due to the recent trend in downtown with the condo announcements.

This looks like it should push over 500', if the scale next to the existing Westin can be believed. Frost Tower meets Asia was the first thing I thought of as well with this, which is fine with me, as nothing in Charlotte evokes an Asian feel yet.

I think the greatest justification that this is a real proposal and has a decent chance of success is the fact that they scrapped the relatively easy office tower. With the office market the way it is, and the fact that they could have finished it before any other office tower, it would have been an easy win. Now, by going down the road of marketing this building, if they decide not to build, they may find themselves behind other office projects. I think the fact that they are risking the easy deal, for this condo deal speaks to their level of confidence that it will succeed.

As far as parking, I believe there is plenty already at the Westin.....the office tower was going to require about 1,000 spaces. This condo tower shouldn't need more than 200.

So what affect is this going to have on the existing condo market in uptown? If you look on the MLS there are million dollar condos at the Trust, Ratcliff, Courtside, The Vue, etc. Will the values of these condos go down as the majority of people who would have moved there might now buy at One Tower?

I personally believe that there are now many options for larger or upper end condos downtown so each new project shouldn't really have a large impact on values in another. The number of units coming out might make demand less high so prices might not rise as rapidly as we've seen in the past (see the amazing jumps Ratcliffe units had the first couple years when resales came out) but more in line with simple inflation with supply and demand more in balance.

Each complex with million + units in them are very different from Avenue and Vue projects with hundreds of various unit types and large amenitie decks, to this project tied to a hotel with almost excessive "extra" services, to The Trust which has very limited number of units and is one block from the square...you really get a chance, if you have lots of $$, to choose a place the really fits your lifestyle and your personal taste. A couple of years ago if you wanted high-end living in a condo or townhouse you either took what was out there or didn't make the move at all.

I've been surprised at how many people can afford these kind of units as second homes.

Don't forget the property that Ghazi just bought (or is in the process of buying) at the intersection of Tryon and Morehead just on the other side of 277. That will add another building to the skyline, albeit just outside of the loop. The property across the street diagonally (not the Uptown Caberet) is also soon to be redeveloped...

i love the design and really hope it does well, but what about the lower units, 1.5 mill to look at the side of the westin or another condo building, seems a bit much when you can get close to the top of the vue, though living in the building will have that "name association" kinda thing"

To me it looks like the never built BarclaysAmerica building from 1987. The design of both look outdated. Especially if I had to pay millions to live in it.

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=317496

I can see the similarities, but I like this new condo tower. Those prices are steep, but if you can find someone to spend the $$, then more power to 'em!

I only have one architectual request for this thing. I hope they aren't going to have exposed floor slabs (a la Avenue) on a place in this price range. Please clad the non-glass sections in limestone or granite.

I find the current Westin to be a great design, but the EIFS at the base has always stryck me as a fatal flaw in the building.

Hell yea, but i take that with a grain of salt, because I have already asked for more info, and there is no way I can afford 1.5 million.

The design might not be fresh, but it also won't go completely out of date the way some styles do. It's going to look nice on the skyline in 5, 15, 50 years.

Thats well put. While I don't think this looks as "new" as the Westin, it can't be too controversial. Many of the 99 lucky owners probably wouldn't like to live in an extremely modern tower. It serves it purpose well. I wonder if the class will be a blue tint or reflective. I don't think though that the glass will look just like the rendering. What do y'all think the glass will look like?

Hell yea, but i take that with a grain of salt, because I have already asked for more info, and there is no way I can afford 1.5 million.

Lol, yeah me too. I just want to see some floorplans, that's why I requested for more info.

Thats well put. While I don't think this looks as "new" as the Westin, it can't be too controversial. Many of the 99 lucky owners probably wouldn't like to live in an extremely modern tower. It serves it purpose well. I wonder if the class will be a blue tint or reflective. I don't think though that the glass will look just like the rendering. What do y'all think the glass will look like?

I think it will have a clear to light blue tint to it.

What I find interesting is that in the 2010 Vision, the dreamers had the skyline spilling south just over the Belk Freeway. With this project, Trump's project, Ghazi's project all abutting the freeway, and the many buildings by Wachovia, Nascar and Novares being only a block or two from it, it is really starting to happen.

I think the architecture is interesting and different from what has been done here so far. I guess the price point allows them to have significantly better architecture compared to what we have under construction now. With this as the comparison point, I can definitely see how Trademark falls short in architectural quality.

I will be interested to see what the market is for condos these highly priced. I am sure there is something brewing with the Trump project, so maybe the market will be deeper than we even realize right now. But also, once it becomes 'the place' we can actually get more of the richest people in the city to buy uptown.

I think that if this income level can own uptown, we can really get the disposable income figures up enough to really pull substantial retail development. It is the key reason that so much retail goes to SouthPark.

Don't forget about Ghazi's Project on W. Morehead, If that actually occurs then we will have officially begun the spillover accross 277.

Archived