615 South College (Portman Office Tower near Westin)

CarolinaDaydreamin

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Some new leases:

Eric Mower & Assoc is moving from Morehead Square to I believe taking the entire 3rd floor (15k sq ft)

Sitehands (and new on-site IT/server solutions firm) is taking space somewhere in the building

NY Transit Title (have no idea who this is or if it's a real name) is taking space on the 7th floor (not sure partial or whole floor).

It's an interesting tenant mix going on here, which is good I suppose.

Photos I took today and story from Biz Journal about the architect and his thoughts. This tower turned out much better than I thought from the initial rendering. I do like the notches for the balconies. http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/04/27/architect-on-615-south-college-tower-on-designing.html?ana=RSS%26s%3Darticle_search&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

DSCN1536.JPG

DSCN1546.JPG

On 3/30/2013 at 10:08 PM, navigator319 said:

i hope that never happens.  looks horrible

On 3/31/2013 at 0:32 AM, DCMetroRaleigh said:

U-G-L-Y, they ain't got no alibi.

On 4/1/2013 at 10:39 AM, HopHead said:

Wow, that is ugly... Hope that never comes to fruition. Dang, and I got excited too when I saw this thread had been revived!

Not calling anyone out but it's always fun to look back at the initial feedback to renderings. One reason I don't get overly excited one way or the other.

In my defense at the time I thought it was going to be the width of the Westin.  I will say though I'm still not a huge fan of this building.  To me the cut outs get lost and don't stand out which is the only fun/interesting element of this building.  Also don't like the plateau affect with the Westin would look better 2/3 floors higher.  Street level also leaves a lot to be desired.

Lets be honest, this building while not everyone's favorite, is way better now than what we first saw when renderings were released 4+ years ago. Plenty of people, myself included, grew to like it more as renderings were updated and construction progressed. 

19 hours ago, southslider said:

^^Unfortunately, NC law prohibits happy hour specials. 

I wonder how many drinking establishments are next to bus stops and other transit stops..... ironically, CLT gets big points there, and why it remains a favorite place of mine to drink heavily, safe from the burden of driving.

Didn't even post for that reason - this building is underwhelming.  If it weren't for the fan around the top, half bries-soleil or whatever its called, it would be outright boring.  And yet its awesome. Fills what might have been vacant land for some time, hides an ugly concrete garage, adds square-footage, intimidates loop drivers with its presence, and basically is destined to be one of numerous forgotten infill projects once new buildings are a dime a dozen and bore us a few decades from now, delightfully so.

On 4/28/2017 at 11:30 PM, nowensone said:

I wonder how many drinking establishments are next to bus stops and other transit stops..... ironically, CLT gets big points there, and why it remains a favorite place of mine to drink heavily, safe from the burden of driving.

I certainly understand your appreciation. I just want a rail line heading north so I can drink heavily uptown and not have to eat and wait to sober up. 

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

John Portman cuts the ribbon on the new 615 South College https://www.bisnow.com/charlotte/news/office/john-portmans-latest-hurrah-615-south-college-in-charlotte-74692

and it is amazing to me that the top floors have not been leased yet. Here is their availability http://www.615southcollege.com/#AVAILIBILTY

From what I heard Regions agreed to take the lower floors in exchange for signage opportunity. Frees up the top floors for a premium. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

another tenant moving from midtown to 615 South College. We want this building to fill up quick (and 300 South Tryon) so Tryon Place will get started. 

From Business Journa: l Eric Mower + Associates is taking 10,175 square feet on the third floor of 615 South College, the newly opened office tower near the intersection of College and Stonewall streets in uptown. EMA, which has nine offices on the East Coast, is a digitally integrated marketing, advertising and public relations agency that employs about 30 in the Queen City.

On 4/28/2017 at 4:16 AM, southslider said:

^^Unfortunately, NC law prohibits happy hour specials. 

I know this post is a couple months old and somewhat off topic as well, but I just held a user meeting for my company's customers at the Embassy Suites (they have GREAT spaces for medium-sized events) and I can confirm that they do have the manager's reception with free drinks for hotel guests. No just sneaking in and pretending like you are staying there, though, like it used to be at other Embassy Suites I've been to...hotel guests get 2 tickets per evening to use for free drinks from 5:00-7:00. No ticket, no free drink.

9 hours ago, ScottCLT said:

I know this post is a couple months old and somewhat off topic as well, but I just held a user meeting for my company's customers at the Embassy Suites (they have GREAT spaces for medium-sized events) and I can confirm that they do have the manager's reception with free drinks for hotel guests. No just sneaking in and pretending like you are staying there, though, like it used to be at other Embassy Suites I've been to...hotel guests get 2 tickets per evening to use for free drinks from 5:00-7:00. No ticket, no free drink.

Well, wouldn't sneaking in to get the free drink amount to stealing?

• 3 weeks later...

New tenant moving into 615 South College from Ballantyne taking 13,524 sq ft on the 7th floor but the really good news is they plan to add 200 jobs in Charlotte. IT field services firm Sitehands is moving its headquarters there. https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/07/11/why-this-tech-services-firm-is-moving-hq-to-new.html?utm_content=1499797465&utm_medium=social&ana=twt&utm_source=twitter   (subscriber story)  With this lease the tower will be 45% leased. They received $25 million in financing from FTV Capital in September. 

30 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

New tenant moving into 615 South College from Ballantyne taking 13,524 sq ft on the 7th floor but the really good news is they plan to add 200 jobs in Charlotte. IT field services firm Sitehands is moving its headquarters there. https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/07/11/why-this-tech-services-firm-is-moving-hq-to-new.html?utm_content=1499797465&utm_medium=social&ana=twt&utm_source=twitter   (subscriber story)  With this lease the tower will be 45% leased. They received $25 million in financing from FTV Capital in September. 

Is that a small amount of sq ft for 200 employees? 

• 2 weeks later...

my first bike trip uptown since the glass went in here. IMO its a great building. One of my favorites largely because of the way it fits into the remainder of the skyline.

On a different note the leading pedestrian indicators are A+++ I am very impressed.

18 hours ago, kermit said:

my first bike trip uptown since the glass went in here. IMO its a great building. One of my favorites largely because of the way it fits into the remainder of the skyline.

On a different note the leading pedestrian indicators are A+++ I am very impressed.

This and Springhill Suites are grand slams IMO.

Archived