615 South College (Portman Office Tower near Westin)

CarolinaDaydreamin

One Charlotte is opening up their sales office at 121 W. Trade St, Suite 2610 officially on September 12. There is a "VIP" preview, also, set for Sept 8 and 9 from 11am-2pm, but apparently you need to be invited and with a ticket, one that you should be able to get if you are included on their mailing list.

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will be very interesting to see how the market responds to this project. Not implying that I have an idea of which way it will go, just very curious to see. I'm thinking it might be a hard sell to get the bottom level units sold -- if I were a person who could afford a $1.5mil condo I would opt for one of the top floors of another building rather than the bottom floor of this one.

^^^

I can see the much older crowd going for those units. Empty nesters in their late 50's and up that dont want to have a bunch of loud 20 and 30 somethings living below them. Of course the competition to get these people are the luxury midrise condos going up in places like Myers Park, but maybe the amenities for One will be enough?

^^^

I can see the much older crowd going for those units. Empty nesters in their late 50's and up that dont want to have a bunch of loud 20 and 30 somethings living below them. Of course the competition to get these people are the luxury midrise condos going up in places like Myers Park, but maybe the amenities for One will be enough?

The amenities are going to be amazing. I think the location beside Wachovia's project and the arts facilities in and around it, and Trump if that happens, will make this quite a section of uptown to live in.

^^^

I would really hope that for $1.5 million, you could have subwoofers turned all the way up and not hear a thing.

The amenities are going to be amazing. I think the location beside Wachovia's project and the arts facilities in and around it, and Trump if that happens, will make this quite a section of uptown to live in.

Yep, older socialites ought to be the target market. People with arts connections and a strong desire to drop names when talking about where they live.

The new website was launched today....there aren't that many more renderings, but there is a full list of floor plans. One interesting thing is that there are floor plans listed up to the 42nd floor, and that doesn't include the penthouse....so this really looks to be 44-stories tall, plus a tall crown. I'm thinking about 550 ft. total.

EDIT.....or perhaps they are including the underground garage as part of the floor count to make people feel like they are getting a higher unit???

And I see further up the thread that there was an open house on Sept. 6. Did anyone here attend that? If so, any interesting information come from that?

I think it is the 8th and 9th (this weekend) and that is the VIP preview of the sales center. The actual sales center will open Sept 12th, as described in my previous post.

EDIT: Just receieved an email stating that the Backstage Pass for One Charlotte has been canceled for "unforseen circumstances" and will be rescheduled. I guess this means that the opening of the Sales Center is going to be pushed back also.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my invitation today also. It reads:

"You're invited to the One Charlotte Sales Gallery Open House. Join us for desserts and learn more about the dazzling interiors and magnificent views of Uptown's first ultra-luxe residential development.

Come and see if One Charlotte is the one for you."

• 3 weeks later...

Someone needs to review the description on the front page. Its very poorly written and has a lot of grammatical errors.

"Portman is probably the best hotel architect in the world" haha

They also claim it "will be the QUEENS CITY most exclusive and elegant high rise"...with views of "MEYERS PARK"--with this kind of attention to detail it definitely makes me wanna shell out a mil for one of their fine residences

They also claim it "will be the QUEENS CITY most exclusive and elegant high rise"...with views of "MEYERS PARK"--with this kind of attention to detail it definitely makes me wanna shell out a mil for one of their fine residences

Did anyone proof this site...? Obviously written out of town since this is an out-of-town developer, but you'd think someone local would take a look before making this public.

I really, really want this tower to be built, but if this is indicative of the quality control on this project, methinks there may be more than just a bump in the road. For this amount of money, people are going to expect complete professionalism from start to finish, even on something as minor as the grammar on the web page. This is just sad. :(

I really, really want this tower to be built, but if this is indicative of the quality control on this project, methinks there may be more than just a bump in the road. For this amount of money, people are going to expect complete professionalism from start to finish, even on something as minor as the grammar on the web page. This is just sad. :(

I still think they'll have a very hard time selling the bottom half of the building. If the minimum price here is $1.5mil, then someone that can afford a penthouse, top of the building unit, in other great projects would be choosing the bottom of this over the top of another. If I had that money I'd be 30 floors + with great views, not right off the parking deck of the Westin or just a couple floors above.

I think this project will suffer from taking so long to hit the market -- the competition now is tough with lots of $1.5 - $3 million options to choose from -- had it been announced and ready for sales before 300 South Tryon, The Vue (now actually starting), Encore, etc, might be a different story. Now the way upper end and top of the building units might lure someone that can afford that and wants the fantastic amenties and tie in to the Westin...

Not knocking the project and I sincerely hope it works out and is built, just skeptical about the lower level units at these prices.

I agree with you Char_Nat......the lower half of this building seems like it would be a tough sell. I felt certain (before this was announced) that they would include office space on the lower floors. Now that I've seen the design, I undestand why it wouldn't work with office, but I wonder why they didn't try to include another luxury Starwood brand hotel such as a W or St. Regis. Possibly W would want more rooms, and St. Regis might be too upscale for the market, but even doing an "independent" Starwood Luxury Collection would have made sense.

I agree with you Char_Nat......the lower half of this building seems like it would be a tough sell. I felt certain (before this was announced) that they would include office space on the lower floors. Now that I've seen the design, I undestand why it wouldn't work with office, but I wonder why they didn't try to include another luxury Starwood brand hotel such as a W or St. Regis. Possibly W would want more rooms, and St. Regis might be too upscale for the market, but even doing an "independent" Starwood Luxury Collection would have made sense.

I agree - it definitely would've made alot of sense to include hotel on the lower floors instead of making them condo. If I had $1.5-3 million I would buy the penthouse at the Vue, not a 2 bedroom 10 floor unit at OC. We definitely need more hotels in Charlotte, so this would relieve some of that demand. I wonder if they'll change their plans for this if sales don't go well.

I would think an idea would be to make sure that each balcony that isn't above the Westin would face in an direction other than the hotel so their view wouldn't be spoiled. Although, I just went to their website and looked at the floorplans which also gives you the views from each type (2, 3, and 4 bedrooms). The lowest floor was the 10th (for the 2 BR) and it seemed to still have a decent view, even with the hotel there.

Atlrvr posted exactly what I was thinking. There is no way a millionaire is going to buy a $1.5 million unity on floor 12 and have a dazzling view of 277, College, or the Westin's rooms (well there may be those few wealthy voyeurs out there :P). Portman just may decide to make the lower 15 or so floors office, hotel, or a combination of both. I could definitely see W in this building, but then again most guests like to have views of the skyline if they're shelling out the prices they charge a night.

Archived