615 South College (Portman Office Tower near Westin)

CarolinaDaydreamin

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It'd be boring were that building to be built for the simple fact that I can't imagine It adding much to uptown from a street level/retail point of view. Doesn't add much, besides workers which is a plus and gets more people on Stonewall at least.

It'd be boring were that building to be built for the simple fact that I can't imagine It adding much to uptown from a street level/retail point of view. Doesn't add much, besides workers which is a plus and gets more people on Stonewall at least.

Which is my point. Even if the street level of the Westin parking deck wasn't going to change anytime soon, I wouldn't have any issue with throwing a small office tower on top other than aesthetics. However I think they would HAVE to add a street entrance on College, which while it might not be a big conversion with retail or anything, could only help the streetscape there. 

• 2 months later...

While refreshing for the Crescent project, an office tower was proposed Next door at the Westin (which really isn't new at all other than the project is advancing.)

Portman is ready to throw it up as soon as they have a main tenant.

http://m.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/05/portman-holdings-plans-15-story-uptown.html

It looks like Portman has filed for a pre-submittal meeting for the office building next to the Westin. 364,000 Square Feet in a 16 story tower. 

Looks like a rather old rendering (looks like a trolley is running). I thought the glass cube was just a generic mass rendering. So that is the final product? Looks 100x better with titles (Portman plaza)

Looks like a rather old rendering (looks like a trolley is running). I thought the glass cube was just a generic mass rendering. So that is the final product? Looks 100x better with titles (Portman plaza)

I doubt it is the final. Seems rather uninspired for Portman.

^ Right, I think he was saying that it wasn't built with enough parking to service a residential building in addition to the hotel and office building.

Semi-related question: Does Crescent own all of the land bordered by Tryon, Stonewall, College and I-277 or does their property stop at Hill Street (the small street that eventually turns into an on-ramp)?

^ Right, I think he was saying that it wasn't built with enough parking to service a residential building in addition to the hotel and office building.

Semi-related question: Does Crescent own all of the land bordered by Tryon, Stonewall, College and I-277 or does their property stop at Hill Street (the small street that eventually turns into an on-ramp)?

The property Stops at Hill Street.

Ah I see that now.

• 3 months later...

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/10/rendering-portmans-uptown-office.html

renderings are up. So, what do we all think? I actually think it looks pretty good, anything to add density is okay by me.

How does it look? I'll go with...  :yawn:  But it's nothing awful either. 

Interesting that it says they could add another 90,000 sqft if the demand was there. So I figure that's another 4-5 floors. Also, it says once they hit their prelease goal they would start construction in about 20 months? I suspect they meant they could start and construction would TAKE 20 months. 

How does it look? I'll go with...  :yawn:  But it's nothing awful either. 

Interesting that it says they could add another 90,000 sqft if the demand was there. So I figure that's another 4-5 floors. Also, it says once they hit their prelease goal they would start construction in about 20 months? I suspect they meant they could start and construction would TAKE 20 months. 

I would agree with the latter....I cant believe it even takes them that long. I feel like they could get this done sooner, but I guess not.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/10/rendering-portmans-uptown-office.html

renderings are up. So, what do we all think? I actually think it looks pretty good, anything to add density is okay by me.

I can't imagine they'll have trouble finding tenants to get it built either.  Connected to a high-end hotel, directly atop a light-rail station, directly beside I-277 for signage visability...

Archived